What has happened to America?

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Re: What has happened to America?

Postby KDFINE » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:40 am

Part of the problem dates back to ABC turning over the News Division to Roone Arledge and the Entertainment Division. "News"was sacrificed to the corporate bottom line. Its lead to the dumbing down of everything.
Of course the growth of cable vision with a zillion outlets hasn't helped. He who shouts loudest...Growing up in the early 1950s in New York there were seven T.V. stations. Visiting relatives in Detroit in 1954 made me realize that other places had less. The evening news was 15 minutes long. Then it grew to 30 minutes, and now 35 minutes of so-called news, half of which is entertainment and commercials.
Gerrymandering is now a national sport. Last week's Supreme Court Decision repealing parts of the Voting Rights Act has opened the way for Texas to bring back a discredited re-districting plan. In the last election there were more votes cast for House Democrats than for House Republicans, but you wouldn't know that from the makeup of that body. While this is a cornerstone of our republic ensuring that democracy is more than merely majority rules its lead to house members of both parties having the ultimate goal of merely being re-elected rather than trying to figure out what is good for the entire country.
Over-population. This is not just a problem in the U.S.A. In his later essays Reverend Malthus pointed out that excess population leads not to just the commonly believed famine, pestilence, and war, but to decline in people's levels of subsistence. We're now living in a world of too many people for the number of meaningful ways to earn decent livings. With a pot shared by too many people folks turn inward and even tribal.
I think that the decline of the draft and the rise of the all volunteer army has had a negative side. While the military is more professional and efficient, the burden of the defense of the country is not equally shared. Finally, the universal draft, with all its flaws, was a great socialization process for the citizenry.
I'm sure that with time I could find some other things to sound off about such as the rise of social media at the expense of face to face contact. I won't be on-line again today.
KDFINE

Postby cullman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:22 pm

It's chugging along as it always has. Much of America's bipolar behaviour you see today has happened before. Journalism and the media are as wacky today as they were in the days of William Randolph Hurst and those who preceded.
cullman

Postby lonewolf » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Parting shot.
Whatever was/is wrong with America was exacerbated by the election of Obama. :(
lonewolf

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:38 am

The rest of the world begs to differ.
Flumpy