The great global warming fizzle

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Re: The great global warming fizzle

Postby guru » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:15 pm

jeremyp wrote:Then the tactic switches to: "there's always been warming." Then the scientists show otherwise...

Oh really?

Silly me, I must have missed the two mile thick glacier last time I was in New York. I'll look closer next time...
guru

Postby bad hammy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:21 pm

odelltrclan wrote:Try and make them look like a lunatic.

What try? The anti-science/creationist/luddites/whatevers do great at that job. Lots of them out there - some of them have even had a few debates recently.
bad hammy

Postby jeremyp » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:01 am

How's that "we ain't warming up" shtick working out for you people in the East?
jeremyp

Postby Wang Lung » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:59 pm

The sooner people recognize that governments looks upon their subjects as nothing more than livestock, the easier it will be to prepare for whatever future we decide we want to have.
Wang Lung

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Wang Lung wrote:The sooner people recognize that governments looks upon their subjects as nothing more than livestock, the easier it will be to prepare for whatever future we decide we want to have.

Thanks MattM. By the way, the thread's title has a typo; the first letter of the last word should be an 's'. Our contibution to the melting ice cap is no longer in question.
Marlow

Postby Per Andersen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:03 pm

kuha wrote:
You're kidding, right? The acceptance/rejection of the scientific consensus reflects "political persuasion" rather starkly.

Oh, totally. I find it pathetic when all the right wingers talk about our children and grand children. Sadly, they never have the environment in mind when they spout those lines.

All this normal cycles talk gets old when you pay attention to what is happening in the oceans and on land.
Per Andersen

Postby lonewolf » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:19 pm

I deplore this annual bloodbath thread destroying twelve months of healing from insults by those with different opinions.

But, since I broke my resolution to not even open it this year and I have already pissed off most here on politics and religion, I might as welll add science.

My opinion has not changed since my 2011 post (see above). Simply stated, Global Warming is cyclic and man can neither cause or prevent it.

Further, during the intervening two years it is now reported that there has been a decline/hiatus in warming and there has been a shift away from alarmist among many "scientists".
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:26 am

lonewolf wrote:shift away from alarmist among many "scientists".

I have always respected your opinion on many subjects, including this one. Putting "scientists" in quotes makes one shake his head. Roughly 98% of climate scientists and all developed countries' Academies of Science signed on the man's contribution to the current climate change. That is not some fringe minority.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:58 am

Pego wrote:
lonewolf wrote:shift away from alarmist among many "scientists".

I have always respected your opinion on many subjects, including this one. Roughly 98% of climate scientists and all developed countries' Academies of Science signed on the man's contribution to the current climate change. That is not some fringe minority.

Ditto. There certainly are climate cycles irrespective of man, but right now, our greenhouse gases are doing a number on the polar icecaps, far beyond anything Mother Nature had in mind.
Marlow