Tim Tebow

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Re: Tim Tebow

Postby Pego » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 am

Vince wrote:Only a bigot would have a problem with that.

Any further response would necessarily have to be equally offensive as your attack on my integrity, so I just quit talking to you, which I should have done long time ago.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:02 am

Pego wrote:

Any further response would necessarily have to be equally offensive as your attack on my integrity, so I just quit talking to you, which I should have done long time ago.

Pego, you are most certainly not a bigot, but look at this from Tebow's perspective: he attributes his life and physical gifts to a Supreme Being and when he kneels, it is only to give thanks to his Maker for that which He has given him. I myself would be very uncomfortable doing it, but Tebow would be even MORE uncomfortable NOT doing it. To each his own, yes? Tain't no skin off your nose is it?
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:17 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:

Pego, you are most certainly not a bigot, but look at this from Tebow's perspective: he attributes his life and physical gifts to a Supreme Being and when he kneels, it is only to give thanks to his Maker for that which He has given him. I myself would be very uncomfortable doing it, but Tebow would be even MORE uncomfortable NOT doing it. To each his own, yes? Tain't no skin off your nose is it?

Having been involved in our local church since I was 6, Tebow reminds me more of a self centered, insecure egomaniac. God wants me have a touchdown. Yea, right.

Reminds me of Aimee Semple McPherson.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Pego » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:28 am

Marlow wrote:Tain't no skin off your nose is it?

No, it ain't. All I am saying that public displays of traits the society considers virtuous (prayer, patriotism...) smack to me of hypocrisy. Obviously, I am not alone, as many people of faith/patriotism detest it just as much. Pray at home, pray in the church, pray with Rick Perry's assembly for rain as much as you wish. Do it demonstratively and many people that might otherwise like you, will disapprove.
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:42 am

'All this Tempest in a Tebow reminds me of the old anecdote about a preacher praising God for the spendid homestead a farmer had wrested from a wilderness.
The farmer's response, "Yep, but you should have seen how worthless it was when God had it all to himself."
lonewolf

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:04 pm

To each his own, having said that if a Satan worshiper was a NFL Q.B. would you rather he

A. keep it to himself :wink:
B. Wouldnt care, or criticize if he did a Satan worshiping signing and obligatory devil dance after every T.D. :twisted:
C. Don't care :roll:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Daisy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Squackee, those questions are all wrong. Should be:

A. keep it to himself :evil:
B. Wouldnt care, or criticize if he did a Satan worshiping signing and obligatory devil dance after every T.D. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
C. Don't care :evil:
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Daisy wrote:Squackee, those questions are all wrong. Should be:

B. Wouldnt care, or criticize if he did a Satan worshiping signing and obligatory devil dance after every T.D. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:

mmmm...you seem to know alot about this Devil stuff, can I offically out you now as one of Lucifer's henchmen? :twisted:
SQUACKEE

Postby Daisy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:25 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:mmmm...you seem to know alot about this Devil stuff, can I offically out you now as one of Lucifer's henchmen? :twisted:

Nope, I'm an atheist. How are atheists supposed to celebrate a touchdown? 8-)
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Tebow reminds me more of a self centered, insecure egomaniac.

I'm afraid that may say more about YOU than Tebow . . . :(
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Pego wrote:
Vince wrote:In the words of Al Davis... just win baby. Regarding the rest of you bigots on this board who have problems with someone praying, are you all in favor of 'don't ask don't tell' for the military because that's essentially what you want Tebow to follow.

If I am a bigot for detesting endless public displays of piety, I am in a pretty good company.

“Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you” (Matthew 6:5-6).

I might have killed this thread with a biblical verse, but this sort of ad hominem could not go unanswered.

Amen Pego! Amen. 8-)
jazzcyclist

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Daisy wrote:Nope, I'm an atheist. How are atheists supposed to celebrate a touchdown? 8-)

Cold beer and a hot women.
SQUACKEE

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Having been involved in our local church since I was 6, Tebow reminds me more of a self centered, insecure egomaniac. God wants me have a touchdown. Yea, right.

Preach Conor, preach! 8-)
jazzcyclist

Postby scottmitchell74 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Having been involved in our local church since I was 6, Tebow reminds me more of a self centered, insecure egomaniac.

:shock: Wow, way to go. Tim Tebow is one of the most genuine and universallly loved (by people who know him in real life) pro athletes ever, and you still harbor that opinion? I'm with Marlow, sounds like a "you" problem.
scottmitchell74

Postby Avante » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:

Having been involved in our local church since I was 6, Tebow reminds me more of a self centered, insecure egomaniac. God wants me have a touchdown. Yea, right.

Obviously you don't know anything about Tim Tebow.
Avante

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:13 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Having been involved in our local church since I was 6, Tebow reminds me more of a self centered, insecure egomaniac.

:shock: Wow, way to go. Tim Tebow is one of the most genuine and universallly loved (by people who know him in real life) pro athletes ever, and you still harbor that opinion? I'm with Marlow, sounds like a "you" problem.

Do you know Tebow in real life? :?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 pm

Avante wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Having been involved in our local church since I was 6, Tebow reminds me more of a self centered, insecure egomaniac. God wants me have a touchdown. Yea, right.

He knows that Tebow likes to flaunt his piety.
jazzcyclist

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:33 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Obviously you don't know anything about Tim Tebow.

He knows that Tebow likes to flaunt his piety.[/quote]

None of us really know this young man. We do know he is a overly zealous Christman, is that so bad? We also know he needs work on his throwing. We know he is invovled with charities. I see no reason yet to dislike the young man. If he starts yelling, your all going to Hell, then I will put the Squack curse on him!
SQUACKEE

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:43 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Avante wrote:

Exactly. And, thank god, is all I want to know.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Avante » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:01 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Avante wrote:

I don't think..."flaunting"....fits at all. You see him...flaunting :roll: I have no doubt if he were stranded on a deserted island he's doing the same things.
Last edited by Avante on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avante

Postby Avante » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:03 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
Avante wrote:

Exactly. And, thank god, is all I want to know.

Scrooge ain't got nothing on you.
Avante

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:10 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:None of us really know this young man.

I live in his home town and have 'known' him for his 8 years of HS and college. You can't live here and not know a whole LOT about him. He is not self-righteous; he doesn't shove his brand of religion down your throat. He simply LIVES his religion every day as best he knows how. I admire him . . . a lot.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Avante wrote:Scrooge ain't got nothing on you.

Yes! One of favorite Christmas movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044008/quotes
Conor Dary

Postby Avante » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Marlow wrote:

I live in his home town and have 'known' him for his 8 years of HS and college. You can't live here and not know a whole LOT about him. He is not self-righteous; he doesn't shove his brand of religion down your throat. He simply LIVES his religion every day as best he knows how. I admire him . . . a lot.

Anyone who doesn't like Tim Tebow...why??????? I'm with you.
Avante

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Marlow wrote:

Are you saying that you've spent a significant amount of time around him at unguarded moments?
jazzcyclist

Postby Vince » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Avante wrote:
Marlow wrote:

They don't like him because he is the star, he is a winner, he's big, strong, athletic, and has everything they wish they could have, but don't. Even though he works hard and is charitable, they criticize his prayer. He wins, but they say he's sloppy, can't pass, runs too much.

They can't like him because he makes them look insignificant.
Vince

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Vince wrote:
Avante wrote:
Marlow wrote:

They don't like him because he is the star, he is a winner, he's big, strong, athletic, and has everything they wish they could have, but don't. Even though he works hard and is charitable, they criticize his prayer. He wins, but they say he's sloppy, can't pass, runs too much.

Not much to add to that bit of lunacy, but I am sure you will try...

:roll:
Conor Dary

Postby jhc68 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:40 pm

All in all this thread has deteriorated into one of the silliest ones ever... sort of a "how many Tebows can dance on the head of pin" debate.

So, joining in that spirit, I'll ask what I have been wondering since I saw the video highlights of the Broncos/Chargers debacle: When Tebow was on the bench appearing to be praying while both place kickers took their shots at winning the game was he praying for the SD guy to miss and for the Denver guy to split the uprights? And if so, do we believe that God grant prayers like that?
jhc68

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Vince wrote:They don't like him because he is the star, he is a winner, he's big, strong, athletic, and has everything they wish they could have, but don't. Even though he works hard and is charitable, they criticize his prayer. He wins, but they say he's sloppy, can't pass, runs too much.

There's not much to dislike about Tebow as a football player. He's made Denver football games must-see TV and he's actually won me over despite his passing deficiency. He seems like he would have felt right at home back in the 50's and 60's when football games were broadcast in black and white. I'm expecting the Broncos to start running the wing-T any day now.
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:00 pm

jhc68 wrote:And if so, do we believe that God grant prayers like that?

Have you ever seen the banana shots in soccer, usually from the free kicks? You don't think that's God? And how else can you explain the ref and linesman being temporarily blinded when Maradona punched the ball into the English net in 1986? :wink:
Daisy

Postby Avante » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:43 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Are you saying that you've spent a significant amount of time around him at unguarded moments?

Who here doesn't think Terrell Owens is a selfish disruptive player? Who here knows him? We are talking about Tebows pro athlete personna. It doesn't matter what these guys do in private/unguarded moments....nobody cares. It's what we the public see them doing. How they conduct themselves in public.
Avante

Postby Avante » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:52 am

Vince wrote:
Avante wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I seriously doubt that on a grand scale. Obviously there is somebody somewhere who hates everyone taller than he is.

I'm guessing it's mostly those who don't trust in God and hate to see anyone praising Him that wouldn't like Tebow. Die hard football fans like myself like anything unique/different. Anytime we see something new...cool~~~~~ However....he does overdo the.."thank you Jesus"...bit. That having nothing to do with his faith, it's him doing anything repeatingly....to me.

I dig Usain Bolt, I think he's great for the sport. While I could get up right now hit the street and cook/blaze a solid 5.2 40, I can't even run a 100 yards (10.6PR) all out anymore much less a 100m. Yep no jealously :D
Avante

Postby lonewolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:05 am

Somehow, I don't think God takes sides in football games. I am sure that on every field goal attempt there are equally fervent prayers being muttered by people on opposite sides of the field for an opposite result....and sometimes, it seems like the least deserved prayers are answered. :?
lonewolf

Postby Avante » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 am

lonewolf wrote:Somehow, I don't think God takes sides in football games. I am sure that on every field goal attempt there are equally fervent prayers being muttered by people on opposite sides of the field for an opposite result....and sometimes, it seems like the least deserved prayers are answered. :?

It's more about God/Lord/Jesus giving them the strength/ability to do what they do. As opposed to..."He sure likes the Broncos".
Avante

Postby Pego » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:38 am

lonewolf wrote:Somehow, I don't think God takes sides in football games. I am sure that on every field goal attempt there are equally fervent prayers being muttered by people on opposite sides of the field for an opposite result....and sometimes, it seems like the least deserved prayers are answered. :?

This is actually quite interesting. I started thinking about it one day watching a Mexican league soccer match.

A penalty shot. Both the shooter and the goalie cross themselves. Their prayers will be answered 100% of the time, because there either is a goal, or there isn't. The Providence consistently favors the shooter roughly 70% of the time. Its dislike of goalies is suddenly reversed for hockey.
Pego

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:46 am

I think I might kill this thread but I have to weigh in on this pray thingy. After what God allowed in the holocaust, it would appear that prayer is rather ineffective.
SQUACKEE

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:54 am

SQUACKEE wrote:I think I might kill this thread but I have to weigh in on this pray thingy. After what God allowed in the holocaust, it would appear that prayer is rather ineffective.

Godwin's Law is indeed invoked, plus, I think you are unclear on the power and purpose of prayer as most people understand it. Huck Finn prayed as hard as he could for a fish hook and didn't get one. He thereby inferred that The Big Guy didn't exist.

A famous man (well, actually it was Jim Morrison of the Doors), said something I firmly believe:
"You cannot petition the Lord with prayer!"

You can, however, ask Him to give you the strength to do the right thing. :wink:
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:21 am

Pego wrote:The Providence consistently favors the shooter roughly 70% of the time. Its dislike of goalies is suddenly reversed for hockey.

Your assumption here is that there is one God. But what if there are two, one for soccer and one for hockey? Maybe the Greeks and Romans were correct? In UK folklore there is god-like figure called Puck, could he be your hockey god?
Last edited by Daisy on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:50 am

Marlow wrote:Godwin's Law is indeed invoked, plus, I think you are unclear on the power and purpose of prayer as most people understand it.
You can, however, ask Him to give you the strength to do the right thing. :wink:

I dont think Huck Finn trumps the holocaust, do you. I am clear on what you are saying, prayers that asks for anything of real substance, like life and death of your child, are not answered. We would disagree as to why. :wink:
SQUACKEE

Postby Daisy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:35 am

SQUACKEE wrote:...prayers that ask for anything of real substance, like life and death of your child, are not answered.

Would this mean that no prayers are answered? I think many would disagree with that premise.
Daisy

PreviousNext