Halperin vs. Obama

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Halperin vs. Obama

Postby richxx87 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 pm

I don't get what the big deal is. MSNBC fires Halperin for speaking his mind and, really, the D word isn't that harsh.

The key that's seemingly lost in the discussion of the ooooh-scary-bad word is whether or not he is correct in his assessment.

I watched the same press conference that Halperin is referring to and would also say that Obama came off, at times, like an arrogant bully and was somewhat caustic and defensive... in a word, like a d!@k.

Not a big deal, we all have those days and I don't even think Halperin dislikes the guy. It would be a like a friend saying, "Hey dude, you were kind of a d!@k yesterday, what's up with that? Did you have have bad day or something?"
richxx87

Re: Halperin vs. Obama

Postby catson52 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:25 am

Don't necessarily agree with the use of four letter words on news type programs.
As a one time ardent supporter (2008), I started getting disillusioned around mid 2009. Obama has a tough job to do, but he is ruining things with building consensus all the time, looking to his legacy down the road and, of course, possible reelection. Boy what I would give for a real leader type in the White House, but one with intelligence and learning, unlike most of the Republican candidates now being touted. Confucius said Learning without thought is labor lost, thought without learning is perilous.

Many intelligent people are suggesting we are heading the way of Greece (Iceland?, Ireland?) in the foreseeable future, if we collectively don't get our act together. Those who have some form of dual citizenship, are probably somewhat smug.
catson52

Postby TrakFan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:05 am

In our system it takes three to tango.

We live in a CRAZY society. Many people applauded the "consensus" Obama achieved when he extended the Bush tax cuts for everyone at the end of 2010.

The Republican position at that time was to cut off assistance to those currently unemployed unless the tax cuts were extended to those families making more than a quarter of a million dollars per year.

What was the best option? Go the consensus route, grow the deficit, but look out for the unemployed who were already in dire straits? Or, forego the consensus, let the tax rates go up for everyone and cut off benefits for those who were already struggling?
TrakFan

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:11 am

richxx87 wrote:I don't get what the big deal is. MSNBC fires Halperin for speaking his mind and, really, the D word isn't that harsh.

I am glad he said it. It just reflects the useless 'analysis' that comes from the Beltway and Halperin is just part of that. The Very Serious People want bipartisanship, which means in their terms giving the Republicans everything they want.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby TrakFan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:28 am

Conor Dary wrote:It just reflects the useless 'analysis' that comes from the Beltway and Halperin is just part of that.

I think the explosion of all forms of media has created a desire for those who report the stories to be party of the story. Hollywood types who have traditionally been on the big and small screen have always acknowledged that it (media fame) can cause ego problems. I think it’s fair to say that we see that on all sides of the cable news spectrum.
TrakFan