The Invention of "Race" As a Physiological Construct

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Re: The Invention of "Race" As a Physiological Construct

Postby Marlow » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:
7-sided wrote:Kenyans and Ethiopians are as distant genetically as two people of the same "color" can possibly be

Hyperbole Alert. Yes, there are some cosmetic differences, but being neighboring African countries, they have a lot more in common than say, Norwegians and Turks.

Actually, that is probably not the case. The genetic diversity within Africa is huge, outside Africa, not so much.

Then I apologize to 7; I stand corrected. :oops:
Marlow

Postby Avante » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:25 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Here are your words Avante:

culture has nothing at all to do with this. It's a total/compltete non factor. . . . . .

this isn't about culture/want/need, we are talking physical differences as the only factor that matters

This is what totally undermines your credibility. Nothing else that you post even warrants consideration after posting this.

You always take on some sort of.."I'm the judge"...personna Jazz, what's that about? Believe whatever you like, I don't see culture having anything at all to do with this. Put blacks in China, Iran, Iraq, where ever and we'll see what we are seeing now, they will still dominate sprinting. Put Asains/whites in Texas, Jamaica, Florida, Trinidad and they still won't. So much for culture.

You really do have a control thang..huh?
Avante

Postby gh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:27 pm

7-sided wrote:...., Afro American/Caribbeans dominance seems to fall down on the women's side. Why is that?

Because women are more easily "enhanced" than men.
gh

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:51 pm

culture has nothing at all to do with this. It's a total/compltete non factor. . . . . .

this isn't about culture/want/need, we are talking physical differences as the only factor that matters

This is what totally undermines your credibility. Nothing else that you post even warrants consideration after posting this.

My compadre Jazz is 100% correct. Avante has one note to play and it long ago ceased to be interesting in any way.
kuha

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:
7-sided wrote:Kenyans and Ethiopians are as distant genetically as two people of the same "color" can possibly be

Hyperbole Alert. Yes, there are some cosmetic differences, but being neighboring African countries, they have a lot more in common than say, Norwegians and Turks.

Actually, that is probably not the case. The genetic diversity within Africa is huge, outside Africa, not so much.

Yes. Ethiopia and Kenya are very different genetically.
kuha

Postby Avante » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:06 pm

kuha wrote:

My compadre Jazz is 100% correct. Avante has one note to play and it long ago ceased to be interesting in any way.

I think it's more a case of don't disagree with a compadre of yours. No he's not correct, if he were then race would be the non factor. Culture would be the deciding factor. You can't have both. Blacks dominate sprinting/speed positions in football/hurdling because of physical characteristics not culture.
Last edited by Avante on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avante

Postby jeremyp » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:15 pm

kuha wrote:
Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Yes. Ethiopia and Kenya are very different genetically.

Except possibly in lung capacities.
jeremyp

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Avante wrote:I think it's more a case of don't disagree with a compadre of yours. No he's correct, if he were then race would be the non factor. Culture would be the deciding factor. You can't have both.

I never said race is a non-factor. It is you who said culture/environment is a non-factor. I believe that race/genetics is the primary factor and culture/environment is the secondary factor. The number of folks of west African descent in the U.S., Jamaica, Trinidad and the Bahamas is approximately 45 million. That's less than one third the population of Nigeria alone. Why hasn't Nigeria won three times as many medals as Black Americans and Black Caribbeans? Why are European basketball players having so much more NBA success than White Americans? Why does the Dominican Republic produce so many more Major League baseball players than Venezuela despite only having one third of Venezuela's population?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:26 pm

jeremyp wrote:
kuha wrote:Yes. Ethiopia and Kenya are very different genetically.

Except possibly in lung capacities.

That probably has more to do with generation after generation after generation being born and raised in the Great Rift Valley, which straddles Kenya and Ethiopia.
jazzcyclist

Previous