Heaven and Hell...

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Re: Heaven and Hell...

Postby lonewolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Marlow wrote:[ I never get why so much reverence is demanded in churches. :

Exactly. That is the missing ingredient in my churchly history. To what end are people asked/commanded to revere an invisible/undemonstrable/unprovable entity who gets credit for all things good and no blame for all things bad.
I have no quarrel with religion or those who take comfort in it. I do think it is a positive force in most societies with the caveat that the attempt to impose radical Islam is a worldwide menace just as radical Christianity was/is.
I was raised in a fairly fundamental church. I took my three kids to less restrictive churches until they were old enough to make their own call. They all turned out well and I do not deny their early religious introduction was a factor. One is not formally religious, one has dropped out as kids reached decision age (they have a religious mama and two of three still attend church), my youngest still takes her 6 and 10 year olds to church every Sunday.
I believe religions evolved to encourage humans to adhere to standards of behaviour conducive to the welfare of their society. Obviously, all precincts do not agree on what is appropriate behaviour.
Religion is big business but I still don't get the reverence part.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:14 pm

lonewolf wrote:
Marlow wrote:[ I never get why so much reverence is demanded in churches. :

Exactly. That is the missing ingredient in my churchly history. To what end are people asked/commanded to revere an invisible/undemonstrable/unprovable entity who gets credit for all things good and no blame for all things bad.
I have no quarrel with religion or those who take comfort in it. I do think it is a positive force in most societies with the caveat that the attempt to impose radical Islam is a worldwide menace just as radical Christianity was/is.
I was raised in a fairly fundamental church. I took my three kids to less restrictive churches until they were old enough to make their own call. They all turned out well and I do not deny their early religious introduction was a factor. One is not formally religious, one has dropped out as kids reached decision age (they have a religious mama and two of three still attend church), my youngest still takes her 6 and 10 year olds to church every Sunday.
I believe religions evolved to encourage humans to adhere to standards of behaviour conducive to the welfare of their society. Obviously, all precincts do not agree on what is appropriate behaviour.
Religion is big business but I still don't get the reverence part.

I'm wid ya all the way, lonewolf!
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Pego wrote:[What about neither faith, nor indifference, but a demand for observable evidence?

that is my definiton of agnostic.
lonewolf

Previous