Jim Brown Calls Out Tiger Woods

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Postby TrackDaddy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm

paulthefan wrote:
Instead, he made a statement that helped to change the course of history and black peoples status.

not really, the heavy lifting was done by people of great stature and mostly long before Ali was Ali.

But Ali was fearless in a very trying time.

Ali was actually shameless in a very easy time.

I suppose you take exception with Tommie Smith and John Carlos too? :?

they raised their fists after all the heavy lifting was done and thereby unknowingly gave themselves credit for the real risks that great men took before them. Men that really did face brutal injustice with great character and greater courage. Not the college campus rentajustice kind. They thought they were doing the right thing. Tommie Smith is a great man.

They cant help when they were born. :roll:

All 4 men did courageous things during their respective eras to bring attention to social causes.

You were apparently okay with things the way they were. Reminds me a coworker I use to have who said MLK was nothing but a troublemaker. :roll:
TrackDaddy

Postby ndamix » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:05 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Whitlock did compare Ali to Brown when it's totally unnecessary in order to give Brown his due. If Whitlock wants to slam Ali, he would be wiser to do it without bringing Brown into the conversation. I'll bet that if Brown reads his column, he'll dislike it as much as TD and I do. And anyone who agrees with paulthefan that Ali slandered his country and aided the enemy must really despise Martin Luther King and his Vietnam speeches.
Which folks tend to ignore since there's a tendancy to focus on MLK as a dreamer.
ndamix

Postby mrbowie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Jim Brown is one of the most admirable men of the era and deserves a lot of credit for his enterprising work on behalf of African Americans. He is a very classy individual and the epitome of a guy that cares enough to give back. I have met him. I respect him. Yes, it would have been nice if he hadn't tossed the chick off the balcony. But I try not to hold that against him.
mrbowie

Postby mrbowie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:34 pm

By the way, if somebody can tell me what makes either Tiger Woods or Barack Obama black, I'd love to be convinced. Neither is black.
mrbowie

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:58 pm

mrbowie wrote:By the way, if somebody can tell me what makes either Tiger Woods or Barack Obama black, I'd love to be convinced. Neither is black.

If you were born and raised in the U.S., and you're over 35 years old, I'm going to go out on the limb and say that you're asking a rhetorical question.
jazzcyclist

Postby ndamix » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:05 pm

mrbowie wrote:By the way, if somebody can tell me what makes either Tiger Woods or Barack Obama black, I'd love to be convinced. Neither is black.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've obviously never read accounts about some of the racial incidents either of these men encountered during their childhood much less anything they might have encountered as adults.
ndamix

Postby sprintblox » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Society makes them black. Race is a social classification, not a biological one. Yes, there are biological underpinnings, but there is no black gene or white gene. And if society treats a person as black or white then that's what they are regardless of what their parents or other ancestors look like.
sprintblox

Previous