Is Iran at the precipice of a revolution?

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:33 am

Fareed Zakaria summed it up this way:
it has become a naked dictatorship, losing the facade of the Islamic and democratic political ideals that are important to it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/07/ ... cnnSTCText
The Iranian people were willing to tolerate a theocracy despite the fact that they really wanted a democracy. At least in previous Presidential elections, no one ever accused the regime of miscounting the votes. But now, Khamanei and Ahmadinejad have returned them to dictatorship, and I've read that Khamanei is even maneuvering to have his son succeed him. It took the Iranians 26 years to overthrow their last dictatorship, but I have a hunch that it won't take that long this time. Khamenei obviously never heard the axiom that those who forget their history are condemned to repeat it.
jazzcyclist

Postby mrbowie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Yes, I believe a revolution has already begun. It will be fueled, as the Iraq war was, by expats that will lie, cajole and do whatever it takes to egg the West into military action. The rationale for the West will be nukes, but the excuse will be democracy. And the Middle East will ride along because they fear Iran as much as we do.
mrbowie

Postby richxx87 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Who would you most like to give a fashion makeover?

Brüno: Ze President of Iran, Ahmadinejad. I love his look – 'taxi driver chic' – but he would look even cuter if he broke it up vit some splashes of colour und simple accessories. Ich have got to admit something. Bruno's got a crush on him. He's SO cute – he's like ze Arab George Clooney! He famously said zat zere are no gay people in Iran, so he must be very sexually frustrated. Ze only nuclear bomb vaiting to go off in Iran is hidden underneath zose grey slacks of his, und Bruno vould like to press ze red button.

http://www.stylelist.com/
richxx87

Postby lonewolf » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:56 pm

To answer the original question in a word, Yes...
lonewolf

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:39 am

lonewolf wrote:To answer the original question in a word, Yes...

It would appear that Rafsanjani has indeed pulled a rabbit out of his turbin.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31745151/ns ... ork_times/

This news should re-energize the protesters.
jazzcyclist

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Next rumble July 9.
lonewolf

Previous