Survey: One in Four Texans Thinks Obama is a Muslim

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Survey: One in Four Texans Thinks Obama is a Muslim

Postby bijanc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:12 am

There are still some voters who haven't heard of Rev. Jeremiah Wright:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6084678.html

(yeah right, the 23% who think so, believe a major U.S. political party is gonna nominate a Muslim to run against a war hero. And a large state such as Illinois is gonna elect an Islamic senator- su-u-re)
bijanc

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:33 am

The psychological gymnastics required to simultaneously believe that Obama is a Muslim and that he belongs to a Church with a radical Black preacher is beyond my comprehension. :?
jazzcyclist

No A-rabs in The White House

Postby bijanc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:35 am

jazzy:

I doubt some of those surveyed even know both things.
bijanc

Postby Mennisco » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:33 am

jazzcyclist wrote:The psychological gymnastics required to simultaneously believe that Obama is a Muslim and that he belongs to a Church with a radical Black preacher is beyond my comprehension. :?

Ever seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre? It is Hallowe'en......

:lol:

Almost everything's bigger in Texas but like with entropy, there's no free lunch......something had to give, and it was between the ears that the Texas Placeholder evolved.
Mennisco

Postby Cooter Brown » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Cooter Brown

Postby gm » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:08 pm

I'll concede to you, Cooter, that the 11% of surveyed Texas Dems who answered "Muslim" are indeed morons. Friends of yours?
gm

Postby JRM » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:58 pm

For a country that espouses freedom of religion, there sure is a tension concerning some citizens' right to practice Islam...
JRM

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:23 pm

JRM wrote:For a country that espouses freedom of religion, there sure is a tension concerning some citizens' right to practice Islam...

True. Although there are no official restrictons and I am not aware of any widespread overt criticism or interference with any religion, I believe Romney, who would have been a much stronger candidate, being Mormon cost him the nomination.

Again, I am not aware of any restriction on practicing Islam. In fact, communites have been intimidated into bending over backwards to accomodate Muslims. However, with virtually all worldwide terrorists being committed in the name of Islam, I don't think you can blame people for being a little jumpy about things Muslim.
lonewolf

Postby JRM » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:52 pm

lonewolf wrote:However, with virtually all worldwide terrorists being committed in the name of Islam, I don't think you can blame people for being a little jumpy about things Muslim.

This is called (a) stereotyping, and (b) prejudice. These are natural human reactions, but that doesn't mean they're rational reactions.

Anyway, what about the domestic terrorism being committed by fundamentalist Christians (e.g. abortion clinic bombings)? Terrorism (not so frequent now) in Northern Ireland and England? Certainly not Muslims there.

I think the keyword here is "fundamentalist". In any religion, there are crazies who will go to all extremes to make their (generally wrong) point.
JRM

Postby gh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:25 am

lonewolf wrote:.....
True. Although there are no official restrictons and I am not aware of any widespread overt criticism or interference with any religion, I believe Romney, who would have been a much stronger candidate, being Mormon cost him the nomination. .....

Do we think that the Dems could find enough support in their base to put forth a Mormon candidate, or on that score would they be just as intemperate?
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:57 am

lonewolf wrote: In fact, communites have been intimidated into bending over backwards to accomodate Muslims. However, with virtually all worldwide terrorists being committed in the name of Islam, I don't think you can blame people for being a little jumpy about things Muslim.

Even if all terrorists were Islamic (which they are not), by no means are all Muslims terrorists. In fact, the future security of the world may depend on our winning and keeping the hearts and minds of the vast majority of Muslims who are not terrorists but who could have some natural sympathy for their co-religionists.

That is why it makes sense for communities to bend over backwards to accommodate Muslims, and it makes compelling sense for the US to adopt policies at home and abroad that take into consideration the need to keep the majority of the billion + Muslims in the world from supporting and embracing the most radical and violent elements of Islam.
tandfman

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:58 am

gh wrote:
True. Although there are no official restrictons and I am not aware of any widespread overt criticism or interference with any religion, I believe Romney, who would have been a much stronger candidate, being Mormon cost him the nomination. .....

Do we think that the Dems could find enough support in their base to put forth a Mormon candidate, or on that score would they be just as intemperate?

If they would support a Jew for VP, certainly they would support a Mormon for President. I think the key would be that the person from one of these minority faiths not wear their religion on their sleeve. Remember, even JFK had to downplay his Catholicism when he ran for President.
jazzcyclist

Postby lonewolf » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:58 am

gh wrote:

I don't think concern over Romney being a Mormon was so widespread as to be labeled intemperate as party policy. I have no idea whether a Mormon would have been more, or less, acceptable to those of the Democratic persuasion.

I personally had no reservations about Romney, he was in fact my first choice. Nor do I know anyone who thought his religion was an issue but it was bantered about in the media to the extent that I do believe it was a factor in his withdrawal.
Just one guy's opinion.
lonewolf

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:11 am

lonewolf wrote:In fact, communites have been intimidated into bending over backwards to accomodate Muslims. However, with virtually all worldwide terrorists being committed in the name of Islam, I don't think you can blame people for being a little jumpy about things Muslim.

As you well know, the percentage of Muslims that support Al Qaeda's agenda is very small. Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei all condemned the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Holding all members of a religious/racial/ethnic group responsible for the actions of a few is collective guilt, and we're on a slippery slope when we start doing that.
jazzcyclist

Postby lonewolf » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:16 am

tandfman wrote:
lonewolf wrote: In fact, communites have been intimidated into bending over backwards to accomodate Muslims. However, with virtually all worldwide terrorists being committed in the name of Islam, I don't think you can blame people for being a little jumpy about things Muslim.

Even if all terrorists were Islamic (which they are not), by no means are all Muslims terrorists. In fact, the future security of the world may depend on our winning and keeping the hearts and minds of the vast majority of Muslims who are not terrorists but who could have some natural sympathy for their co-religionists.

That is why it makes sense for communities to bend over backwards to accommodate Muslims, and it makes compelling sense for the US to adopt policies at home and abroad that take into consideration the need to keep the majority of the billion + Muslims in the world from supporting and embracing the most radical and violent elements of Islam.

tandfman, I mentioned elsewhere that I have been closely associated for the past six years with the Iranian expatriate community, working toward exactly what you cited, education and understanding between the cultures to prevent another generation of potential terrorits. I have learned more about Islam and Muslims than I ever expected. . I am well aware that not all Muslims are terrorists and not all terrorists are Muslim. I have never said or implied that. They are just people with the same desire for a peaceful life as the rest of us. Most do not attempt to impose their religion on others but I do feel some expect unwarranted favoritism.

Abortion clinic bombings, IMO, are an entirely different motivation, having to do with personal conviction, not a specific religion.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:21 am

jazzcyclist wrote:The psychological gymnastics required to simultaneously believe that Obama is a Muslim and that he belongs to a Church with a radical Black preacher is beyond my comprehension. :?

The Black Muslim movement was a HUGE influence in the 60s and 70s. Muhammad Ali became one. I find it no large leap to believe someone of merit could have followed in their footsteps.
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:22 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
lonewolf wrote:In fact, communites have been intimidated into bending over backwards to accomodate Muslims. However, with virtually all worldwide terrorists being committed in the name of Islam, I don't think you can blame people for being a little jumpy about things Muslim.

As you well know, the percentage of Muslims that support Al Qaeda's agenda is very small. Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei all condemned the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Holding all members of a religious/racial/ethnic group responsible for the actions of a few is collective guilt, and we're on a slippery slope when we start doing that.

jazz, if you have read any of my post on the subject of Islam, you should know I do not project collective guilt to all Muslims, quite to the contrary. I was simply making the point that many uninformed people do exactly that.
lonewolf

Postby Cooter Brown » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:27 am

gm wrote:I'll concede to you, Cooter, that the 11% of surveyed Texas Dems who answered "Muslim" are indeed morons. Friends of yours?

I live in Austin. Texas doesn't claim us and we don't claim Texas. :P
Cooter Brown

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:17 am

gh wrote:Do we think that the Dems could find enough support in their base to put forth a Mormon candidate, or on that score would they be just as intemperate?

The first problem, I would think, would be to find a Mormon who is a Dem . . .
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:49 am

I read on an online magasine that Will Smith has become a muslim. Wonder if he supports - will vote for - Obama.
EPelle

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:51 am

lonewolf wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

jazz, if you have read any of my post on the subject of Islam, you should know I do not project collective guilt to all Muslims, quite to the contrary. I was simply making the point that many uninformed people do exactly that.

Fine, I with you. I guess I would have worded it a little different. I'm not surprised that some people are a little jumpy about things Muslim, but I still don't understand it, because I view this type of prejudice as irrational. However, if the 9/11 hijackers had been American citizens, instead of foreigners, and Al Qaeda had majority support among the world's 1.3 billion Muslims the way the Palestinian groups do, then that type of reaction might be considered rational.
jazzcyclist

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:52 am

This just in- One in four Muslims think Obama is Texan.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles