"Did you open it?"


Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:56 am

Daisy wrote:He went after your wife Squackee? That's more than intense, apparently the irony label sticks.

That was a low-point, even for him. :(
Marlow
 
Posts: 21084
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:05 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Bad News#2: Well head price of crude oil has dropped from $147/bbl to $70/bbl. :cry:


And why is this bad news? :P


Well, bad news for me: My income is down over 50%. While I may save $40-$50 month at the retail gasoline pump, I lose many thousands in income. Income that is derived from investing at $150/bbl expenses and operating costs which must be recovered from $70/bbl oil.

Actually, "cheap" oil is not necessarily good for even those outside the oil industry. It is all one big domino game. Massive layoffs in the oilbiz will affect jobs and spending in other facets of the economy. Reduction in capital spending will result in less production and less taxes at both corporate and individual level.

It is short sighted to groan over "obscene" profits in the oil industry when they are actually far less than the ROI in many other industries. Most people outside the industry have no comprehension of the humongous amount of capital required to acquire leases, perform exploratory surveys, conduct seismic, drill wells (of which are 90% wildcats are dry holes) and develop production and transportation facillities. The fact that Company X made $ Y profit is meaningless and irrelevant.

And, BTW, chances are part of your managed 401 K is invested in oil.

I could go on but suffice it to say, I took little solace at filling up a $2.17/gallon this morning
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:11 pm

lonewolf wrote:It is short sighted to groan over "obscene" profits in the oil industry when they are actually far less than the ROI in many other industries. Most people outside the industry have no comprehension of the humongous amount of capital required to acquire leases, perform exploratory surveys, conduct seismic, drill wells (of which are 90% wildcats are dry holes) and develop production and transportation facillities. The fact that Company X made $ Y profit is meaningless and irrelevant.

You sound like an oil company shill . . .

:P
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Well, admittedly a self-employed oil company shill. :) Still the truth.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby kuha » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:35 pm

lonewolf wrote:Well, admittedly a self-employed oil company shill. :) Still the truth.


You are our very favorite "Fat Cat"!

Not that you're either overwight or feline, of course.....
kuha
 
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:54 pm

kuha wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Well, admittedly a self-employed oil company shill. :) Still the truth.


You are our very favorite "Fat Cat"!

Not that you're either overwight or feline, of course.....


Make that "Ex-Slightly Over Optimim Weight Cat" :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:07 pm

lonewolf wrote:
kuha wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Well, admittedly a self-employed oil company shill. :) Still the truth.


You are our very favorite "Fat Cat"!

Not that you're either overwight or feline, of course.....


Make that "Ex-Slightly Over Optimim Weight Cat" :)


I just wanna be able to say at a cocktail party without lying that," Oh yes i was just e-mailing one of my friends in oil about this whole petrolem business in terms of the effect on stock dividens and what not."

Sorry about your drop Mr. Wolf but i have hunch the prices might possible go up just a tad in the near future. Feel free to P.M with any questions you might have. :P
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:08 pm

I have a couple of early 60's co-workers who were planning on retiring at the end of the year, but their plans have now been indefinitely postponed.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Yep, Squak, . Thanks for the condolences. This is just a hiccup. I am not shorting oil. It takes a lonnnng time to make that stuff. . 8-)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:54 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:I have a couple of early 60's co-workers who were planning on retiring at the end of the year, but their plans have now been indefinitely postponed.

I've spoken to several people in the same situation. It seems to be a common thing, which is understandable given the fact that most people who are approaching retirement are planning to have a certain level of post-retirement income, and to the extent that level depends on the size of their retirement savings, they're now in trouble if they've followed the common advice to keep a good percentage of those savings in equities.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby gh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:33 pm

oh crap.... The Beauteous Babs opened hers.
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:41 pm

Unfortunately, whatever was in that envelope, the current numbers are worse even with today's sharp upswing. :(
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:02 pm

I opened mine and was shocked it wasnt lower, down about 12% but the next one could be far worse i suppose. I probably will never be able to retire so does it really matter? Just give me some honest work till i drop and i'm good. I do believe that distance running has help me in so many ways in the work place.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:35 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:I opened mine and was shocked it wasnt lower, down about 12% but the next one could be far worse i suppose.

Most statements come on a quarterly basis. Things were down by the end of September, but have gotten seriously worse since then. Nobody knows what lies ahead. It's been a roller coaster and is likely to continue to be in the short term. All we can do is hang on for the ride.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests