The VP Gaffe Over & Under

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:12 pm

Daisy wrote:As for Palin, while she may be grooming herself for four years time, is it not more likely she is grooming herself for a television show? After all, she already has TV experience, and it would be more lucrative.

I hear she will be co-hosting a reality show with Gabe:

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=33417

Working title is "On the Road, Lock & Load." :]
Brian

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:37 am

paulthefan wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:No, im a radical moderate, fiscally conservative, social liberal with a touch of Karl and Groucho Marx.

Oh and anyone who wants to kill my fellow citizens... i want to blow them up. :D

That is all...good day to you good woman!

Squakee, You have a great sense of humor and a good pick for VP,

Grocho Marx:.. Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well , I have others.

Yes, i love Groucho, he played a scoundrel which is perfect for politics and i recently saw a scene from one of his movies that proves he his fiscally responsible.

Groucho enters a hotel lobby with 10 suitcases. Tip time has arrived and he asks the 10 porters if they have change for a dime. When they shake their heads he says " Keep the luggage!" :lol:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby TrakFan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 am

lonewolf wrote:Must be open season on Republicans on the forum.

I don’t think its open season on the Republicans, but there is a lot of disappointment and anger from all sides concerning the tone of McCain’s campaign. A very popular Republican, Colin Powell, summed it up very well when he mentioned that their message has become “increasingly narrower” over the last couple of months. He specifically mentioned hearing certain things from senior members of his party concerning many of the issues that have pushed him and others away from this candidate, and his the party.
TrakFan

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:23 am

lonewolf wrote:Must be open season on Republicans on the forum. I know I should leave well enough alone but Brian's disseration comes across as a thinly disguised dismissal of both the quality and chances of the Republican ticket which I felt obliged to challenge.

I concede that McCain, a weak nominee selected by the MSM for that very reason, is a lousy speaker and debater and has run an unbelievably inept campaign but hope springs eternal that on November 4 people will vote for character, issues and principles, not oratory.

Granted, I may be over estimating the perspicacity of the voters. :(

Have you considered that many people who put character, issues and principles first, may end up choosing the candidate who just happens to have the superior oratory skills? Remember, not everyone prioritizes the same issues or has the same principles.

Personally, I think that McCain's problem was that he wasn't able to secure his base in the primary the way Obama was, and instead of running to the middle in the general election, he's had to run to the right. It seems like the base in both parties expect candidates to prove that you're one of them in the primary, and then they'll forgive you for anything you say in the general election as just hollow rhetoric that's necessary to get votes from the middle. Obama resisted pressure from Democrats to pick Hillary and chose a running mate that would help him appeal to the middle, but McCain succumbed to pressure from Republicans in order to appease his base.

The ironic thing is that I think the McCain of 2000 vintage could have beaten Obama, but unfortunately, that McCain could never get the Republican nomination.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:26 am

It seems to me everything swung Obama's way when the economy tanked. All the other stuff is secondary. imho
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby paulthefan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:50 am

TrakFan wrote:

I don’t think its open season on the Republicans, but there is a lot of disappointment and anger from all sides concerning the tone of McCain’s campaign. A very popular Republican, Colin Powell, summed it up very well when he mentioned that their message has become “increasingly narrower” over the last couple of months. He specifically mentioned hearing certain things from senior members of his party concerning many of the issues that have pushed him and others away from this candidate, and his the party.

did you actually say anything?
paulthefan

Postby paulthefan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:50 am

SQUACKEE wrote:It seems to me everything swung Obama's way when the economy tanked. All the other stuff is secondary. imho

ditto and McCain rushing back to DC.
paulthefan

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:18 am

paulthefan wrote:
TrakFan wrote:

Yes. He said it all.
dukehjsteve

Postby TrakFan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 am

paulthefan wrote:
TrakFan wrote:

He could still win, but your reply confirms the issue/problem with his campaign
TrakFan

Postby sprintblox » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:29 am

jazzcyclist wrote:The ironic thing is that I think the McCain of 2000 vintage could have beaten Obama, but unfortunately, that McCain could never get the Republican nomination.

The McCain of 2000 was the true Maverick. Now he's turned into a pander bear.
sprintblox

Postby Pego » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:37 am

Brian wrote:Now, there's nothing wrong (and a lot right, actually) with appearing on SNL.

During the 1988 Demo primaries, Bruce Babbitt appeared on SNL in a skit. He stands in an express check-out line of the supermarket allowing up to six items with seven in his cart. A confrontation follows, leading to his arrest. Hilarious!
Pego

Postby TrakFan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:07 am

Pego wrote:
Brian wrote:Now, there's nothing wrong (and a lot right, actually) with appearing on SNL.

During the 1988 Demo primaries, Bruce Babbitt appeared on SNL in a skit. He stands in an express check-out line of the supermarket allowing up to six items with seven in his cart. A confrontation follows, leading to his arrest. Hilarious!

You might be able to locate it. It looks like they have clips from several decades: http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/
TrakFan

Postby gh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:23 pm

One (conservative) critic's take on the choice of Palin:

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/200 ... 04/0/RSS01
gh

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:44 pm

gh wrote:One (conservative) critic's take on the choice of Palin:

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/200 ... 04/0/RSS01

A paid McCain/Palin consultant (who is also a feminist Dem) says Palin is a brainiac: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... -brainiac/
bad hammy

Previous