The VP Gaffe Over & Under

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:12 am

Much more scary, and reprehensible, than that.
tandfman

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:34 am

TrakFan wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:I thought it was interesting that when Bob Scheiffer asked them to compare VP candidates, Obama decided to take the pitch. I'm sure many of his supporters thought that was an 80 mph fastball right across the middle of the plate, belt high, and were expecting him to knock it out of the park.

His response, or lack of a critical response toward his opponent's running mate was very smart. He's the big dog (Presidential nominee), and doesn't need to belittle his position by starting a tit for tat with a little dog (VP nominee). And Palin would have LOVED for him to say something critical since it would give her more ammo to excite the base on the trail. Most importantly, it was smart to be non-critical since women make up the majority of the electorate, and they tend to vote more often than men. No need to unnecessarily tick some of them off. I'm sure his gracious response -- although she didn't deserve it based on what she's been saying about him -- won over some of those undecided female voters.

You make a good point. Obama and Biden obviously made a decision to treat Palin with kid gloves. It makes you wonder how a female candidate would have treated Palin if she had been in Biden's position for the VP debate, or Obama's position when Schieffer posed that question last night.
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:43 am

Marlow wrote:I received this in an e-mail today (wide distribution list). ...........I would put the author in MattM's category.

So what is the source? From an individual (such as Ann Coulter?) or from a group?
Daisy

Postby Mennisco » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 am

Captain Flyswatter's all over the place today....

:lol:
Mennisco

Postby TrakFan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:26 am

Mennisco wrote:Captain Flyswatter's all over the place today....

Yes, you were a bad boy earlier today. But, it was caught early enouth to to be handled with a scalpel - instead of an ax :wink:
TrakFan

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:48 am

This will make your sad. There are plenty of villains involved in these smear tactics, but this lady seems like more of a victim. I guess it's easy to prey on the elderly and the uneducated.

http://fromtheleft.wordpress.com/2008/1 ... -quinnell/
jazzcyclist

Postby TrakFan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 am

I've changed my mind...I'm voting for Joe The Plumber!!!
TrakFan

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:25 am

Meanwhile, if you're plumber's name happens to be Joe, I hope your toilet isn't stuffed up because he's probably too busy today talking to journos, bloggers, and campaign aides. :)
tandfman

Postby paulthefan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:10 am

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:I received this in an e-mail today (wide distribution list). ...........I would put the author in MattM's category.

So what is the source? From an individual (such as Ann Coulter?) or from a group?

Ann Coulter is far too intelligent to either write such dribble or respond to you, therefore I will step in. That Marlow message sounds so over the top it probably comes from the Dem side as a tool to incite exactly the reaction it is getting here.
paulthefan

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:19 am

paulthefan wrote:That Marlow message sounds so over the top it probably comes from the Dem side as a tool to incite exactly the reaction it is getting here.

Oh, no - I actually recognized the source, whom I know to be conservative, but he's just a private citizen.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 am

paulthefan wrote:Ann Coulter is far too intelligent to either write such dribble or respond to you, therefore I will step in. That Marlow message sounds so over the top it probably comes from the Dem side as a tool to incite exactly the reaction it is getting here.

The folks at the Naional Review, not neessarily a liberal bastion, would beg to differ. Read what they said about her when they fired her.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Mm ... FmZTYzZGQ=
jazzcyclist

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:25 am

Marlow wrote:
paulthefan wrote:That Marlow message sounds so over the top it probably comes from the Dem side as a tool to incite exactly the reaction it is getting here.

Oh, no - I actually recognized the source, whom I know to be conservative, but he's just a private citizen.

Good try, paul. Maybe you can try to spin this little gem from a southern California women's Republican group newsletter:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stor ... 67d4a.html
bad hammy

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:34 am

TrakFan wrote:I've changed my mind...I'm voting for Joe The Plumber!!!

It turns out that the guy they were talking about isn't a licensed plumber, and his name isn't Joe. I guess you can't believe anything these days. :roll:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008 ... spotlight/
tandfman

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 am

bad hammy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Good try, paul. Maybe you can try to spin this little gem from a southern California women's Republican group newsletter:

I always suspected that Republicans are racist and now we have proof. :lol:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby paulthefan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:50 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
paulthefan wrote:Ann Coulter is far too intelligent to either write such dribble or respond to you, therefore I will step in. That Marlow message sounds so over the top it probably comes from the Dem side as a tool to incite exactly the reaction it is getting here.

The folks at the Naional Review, not neessarily a liberal bastion, would beg to differ. Read what they said about her when they fired her.

You should read it before posting misinformation jazzc:

Of course, we would explain our decision to Ann, but the reality is that she's called the shots from the get-go. It was Ann who decided to sever her ties with National Review — not the other way around.
paulthefan

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:00 pm

paulthefan wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

You should read it before posting misinformation jazzc:

Of course, we would explain our decision to Ann, but the reality is that she's called the shots from the get-go. It was Ann who decided to sever her ties with National Review — not the other way around.

I don't post anything without reading it first and what misinformation are you talking about? Are you accusing Goldberg of misinformation? :?
jazzcyclist

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:46 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
bad hammy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I always suspected that Republicans are racist and now we have proof. :lol:

Probably just the distaff ones in southern California . . .
bad hammy

Postby TrakFan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:00 pm

tandfman wrote:

It turns out that the guy they were talking about isn't a licensed plumber, and his name isn't Joe. I guess you can't believe anything these days. :roll:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008 ... spotlight/

And he hasnt been paying his tax bills? I'm going to reconsider my vote!

"America's Overnight Sensation Joe the Plumber Owes $1,200 in Taxes
Ohio Has a Lien on Him for Nearly $1,200 in Taxes "

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/stor ... 360&page=1
TrakFan

Postby gh » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:47 pm

Ooops, Joe springs a bit of a leak!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 345D24.DTL
gh

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:49 pm

gh wrote:

Uh, this may be the moderator gaffe over and under. A few of the previous posts have brought this info to light.
bad hammy

Postby Mennisco » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:56 pm

TrakFan wrote:
Mennisco wrote:Captain Flyswatter's all over the place today....

Yes, you were a bad boy earlier today. But, it was caught early enouth to to be handled with a scalpel - instead of an ax :wink:

Nobody can aim that well.
Mennisco

Postby JRM » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:28 pm

gh wrote:

He also apparently owes back-taxes (apologizes if it was in the article).... and his name is apparently Sam, not Joe.
JRM

Postby malmo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:32 pm

gh wrote:

He owes like a whole $1000 to the State of Ohio? Like perhaps had they sent the notices to his current address rather than like his old address, like they might have gotten paid? Like what the heck do the facts matter to a lynch mob, right?

Any word or Charlie Rangels and Al Frankens "leaks"?

What was that committee that Rangel heads?
malmo

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Here we go again. I guess some of us just can't resist stepping over the line. :(
jazzcyclist

Postby malmo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:49 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Here we go again. I guess some of us just can't resist stepping over the line. :(

With the race-baiting above that line was long ago crossed. This thread is another political thread and a patently partisan one from top to bottom.

Facts about Joe-the-Witch-burn-the-witch

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

If a delinquency notice goes unheeded, the Department of Taxation issues a billing notice, Kohlstrand said. If that is ignored, a more formal assessment notice is sent. Failing to appeal an assessment or losing an appeal puts the debt into the hands of the state attorney general for collection. The attorney general typically sends a collection notice and simultaneously files a lien.

``The taxpayers may not necessarily know about the lien,'' Kohlstrand said, although they would receive other notices.

"In Wurzelbacher's case, the lien indicated that the notice was sent to a previous address in Toledo."

Ray Ann Estep, section chief for revenue-recovery services for the Ohio attorney general, said Wurzelbacher's lien was filed six months after the Department of Taxation certified the debt for collection.

``Unfortunately, sometimes people don't resolve their debts as quickly as we would like them to,'' she sai

Don't let the facts get in the way of another witch hunt.
malmo

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:10 pm

malmo wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Here we go again. I guess some of us just can't resist stepping over the line. :(

With the race-baiting above that line was long ago crossed. This thread is another political thread and a patently partisan one from top to bottom.

Facts about Joe-the-Witch-burn-the-witch

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

Don't let the facts get in the way of another witch hunt.

The Man himself posted about Joe the Plumber, so that can't be a rules violation, because The Man makes the rules. Furthermore, as far as I know, Joe the Plumber is not a political figure, unlike the two gentlemen that you mentioned. As for race-baiting, I haven't seen it.
jazzcyclist

Postby sprintblox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:19 pm

A debate highlight for McCain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63SRpGXBHE
sprintblox

Postby paulthefan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:22 pm

TrakFan wrote:And he hasnt been paying his tax bills? I'm going to reconsider my vote!

"America's Overnight Sensation Joe the Plumber Owes $1,200 in Taxes
Ohio Has a Lien on Him for Nearly $1,200 in Taxes "

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/stor ... 360&page=1

That should be enough to teach him not to be a small business man in Obama's america! After this months events he will know enough teach his kids to be community organizers, Fannie Mae execs, lawyers or bankers.
paulthefan

Postby rasb » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:28 pm

What a joke !
It turns out that Joe (who was mentioned 26 times in the final debate to give the public a chance to hear answers to real issues) is actually Sam, a non-plumber ( not certified in Ohio). He also admits he makes nowhere near the 1/4 million required to trigger a tax raise under the D. plan, so all the bluff and bluster was much ado about nothing.
So much for an educated electorate. Whatever side of the "great divide" one is on, I can't believe anyone thinks this is what people should be voting on.
rasb

Postby malmo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Plumber is not a political figure, unlike the two gentlemen that you mentioned. As for race-baiting, I haven't seen it.

Of course you don't. The mantra of the left wing looneys.

SQUACKEE wrote:I always suspected that Republicans are racist and now we have proof.
malmo

Postby rasb » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:08 pm

I'm sure we can all agree that there are both extreme left and right wing looneys, and that anyone who is on this board, and thus appreciates our sport, must be somewhere in between :wink:
And from a totally non-partisan perspective, if I'm a small biz. guy, and I have paid all my bills and salaries, and am able to pocket $ 250. K. a year after that, I don't mind paying a bit more. Especially if I can see that at least some of that money is being targeted towards better education and health care, which will benefit my family and my employees and their families.
rasb

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:19 pm

malmo wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Plumber is not a political figure, unlike the two gentlemen that you mentioned. As for race-baiting, I haven't seen it.

SQUACKEE wrote:I always suspected that Republicans are racist and now we have proof.

You've been around here long enough that you should know when SQUACKEE (far from a left wing looney) is kidding (which is pretty much whenever he posts).
bad hammy

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:25 pm

malmo wrote:

You've got to lighten up. I thought it was pretty obvious that SQUACKEE was just joking in a non-partisan way, the way McCain and Obama were cracking jokes on each other tonight. Didn't you see the smiley face at the end of his post?
jazzcyclist

Postby paulthefan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:31 pm

rasb wrote:I'm sure we can all agree that there are both extreme left and right wing looneys, .....

I can agree with that and when the rightwing looneys start wanting 1/4 of my pay check Ill have two classes of looneys to worry about.

And from a totally non-partisan perspective, if I'm a small biz. guy, and I have paid all my bills and salaries, and am able to pocket $ 250. K. a year after that, I don't mind paying a bit more. Especially if I can see that at least some of that money is being targeted towards better education and health care, which will benefit my family and my employees and their families.

and even better if it is targeted to benefit teachers purses, community activists and dumbing down education.... just repeat after me: it is for the children.
paulthefan

Postby malmo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:06 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
malmo wrote:

You've got to lighten up. I thought it was pretty obvious that SQUACKEE was just joking in a non-partisan way, the way McCain and Obama were cracking jokes on each other tonight. Didn't you see the smiley face at the end of his post?

How the hell is this a non-partisan joke? Please explain?

"I always suspected that Republicans are racist and now we have proof."

It's malicious, provocative and hateful.
malmo

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:54 am

malmo wrote:It's malicious, provocative and hateful.

Remember the Foghorn Leghorn line you like to quote?
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 am

malmo wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
malmo wrote:

I just thought that that statement was so over-the-top, that it was obvious that he was joking, especially with the smiley face at the end of it. But, I guess you have a point. My rule of thumb is that if you tell a provocative joke and someone doesn't get it, then the joke has failed.
jazzcyclist

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:13 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
malmo wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
malmo wrote:

I just thought that that statement was so over-the-top, that it was obvious that he was joking, especially with the smiley face at the end of it. But, I guess you have a point. My rule of thumb is that if you tell a provocative joke and someone doesn't get it, then the joke has failed.

:shock: :arrow: :wink: :arrow: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SQUACKEE

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:40 am

jazzcyclist wrote:My rule of thumb is that if you tell a provocative joke and someone doesn't get it, then the joke has failed.

What if most of the audience gets it and laughs? Do the few who don't 'get' it determine whether it was funny? Some people find Jon Stewart's political jokes rude and obnoxious. Many find him to be the funniest pundit.
Marlow

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:53 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:My rule of thumb is that if you tell a provocative joke and someone doesn't get it, then the joke has failed.

What if most of the audience gets it and laughs? Do the few who don't 'get' it determine whether it was funny? Some people find Jon Stewart's political jokes rude and obnoxious. Many find him to be the funniest pundit.

Let me try again......Clinton having sex with an intern in the oral office proves that all Democratic Presidents have done and will do the same! :lol: :arrow: :lol: :arrow: :lol: :!:
SQUACKEE

PreviousNext