Why was China Given the Olympics?

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Why was China Given the Olympics?

Postby oldtrackguy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:37 pm

As far as I can tell the Olympics were granted to them to bring them into the world community, with the implicit assumption that this means the eventually adoption of western standards of human rights, move to democracy and all that... Same justification given for opening up trade with them by the past 5 or 6 administrations in the US.

Anyone actually believe the Chinese leaders are ever going to change their ways with respect to human rights, democracy? Frankly I don't think they can given the vast inequities, diverse ethic groups and generally chaotic nature of China. The place would descend into anarchy.

Far as I can tell the result of getting the games is more oppression not less.
oldtrackguy

Postby unclezadok » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:31 pm

But if vast inequities, diverse ethic groups and generally chaotic nature were an obstacle to democracy, we would not have it in the USA.
Hmm...you may be right.
unclezadok

Postby AthleticsInBritain » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:37 pm

I believe the answer you're looking for is ...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
AthleticsInBritain

Re: Why was China Given the Olympics?

Postby richxx87 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 pm

oldtrackguy wrote: ... Anyone actually believe the Chinese leaders are ever going to change their ways with respect to human rights, democracy? ...

I honestly don't believe they have any intention or desire to do that.

They view the world in a very different way. They consider themselves to be above and beyond that sort of "fad" of democracy/human rights. They are an ancient civilization. China's 5000-year-old civilization probably gives them the right to be self-assured.

I don't mean, necessarily, that they are arrogant. On the contrary, I think most are quite humble, but simply very set in their minds about what is right and wrong (and that usually does not coincide with Western thought).

I think they are very firm in their conviction that "their way" is the correct way. The Chinese are an emerging superpower, and they've done their way. They believe that when they become the undisputed superpower (and they are convinced that it is inevitable), they will be laying down the rules and mores for the world to follow.

Over the last couple of centuries it has been Europe/N.America that has been dominant and have laid down the "rules", which include democracy, equality, human rights etc... so many of us almost take it for granted that these are the "right" ways. Simply put, the Chinese don't.
richxx87

Re: Why was China Given the Olympics?

Postby bambam1729 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:02 pm

richxx87 wrote:
oldtrackguy wrote: ... Anyone actually believe the Chinese leaders are ever going to change their ways with respect to human rights, democracy? ...

I honestly don't believe they have any intention or desire to do that.

But there were many of us in the 60s, 70s, 80s who never thought they would see the fall of the Soviet Union, the takedown of the Berlin Wall. As Clancey said to the Cincinnati Kid, "Well, you know, kid. Towns can change."
bambam1729