question for those who voted for Bush the last 2 elections

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

question for those who voted for Bush the last 2 elections

Postby Helen S » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 am

I only can think of 4 people within my social or work circle that I know voted for Bush the last 2 times. I know one has no regrets, one denied what he told me 3 years ago, one has regrets. The other we choose not to talk politics to maintain our friendship.
Anyone on this board want to either support, deny, or express their regrets today?
I will say I will look forward to January 20th, and hope that between now and then, our administrative executives don't make thier term worse than it already has been.

http://www.bushslastday.com/

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/b ... _rss_daily
Helen S

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:14 am

Well, I'm ashamed to say that I voted for him the first time. I'd been leaning towards Gore, but Al got so wishy-washy as the campaign progressed, that he turned me off. I certainly didn't get fooled again in '04 (apologies to Pete Townsend), though Kerry wasn't a particularly inspiring candidate.

Obama is an inspiring candidate. I can only hope that if he's elected, he'll be able to repair our horrible world image while fixing the health care system and bringing money back home (i.e. out of Iraq) to fix our infrastructure, build a better educational system and bring jobs back to the U.S. A tall order to be sure, but I don't see McCain accomplishing anything but maintenance of a status quo that isn't working.
bruce3404

Postby bad hammy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:20 am

The few folks I know who admitted to voting for Nader or Bush came to regret it.
bad hammy

Postby Mellow Johnny » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:32 am

I voted Nadar and don't regret it.
Mellow Johnny

Postby tandfman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:15 pm

Mellow Johnny wrote:I voted Nadar and don't regret it.

It was the people who voted for Nader who elected W. If you don't regret that . . . .
tandfman

Postby Mellow Johnny » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:19 pm

tandfman wrote:

It was the people who voted for Nader who elected W. If you don't regret that . . . .

Uh, no I didn't. I voted for Nader, not Bush. And my vote wouldn't have changed a thing in terms of Oregon's electoral votes. And it would have been rigged regardless.
Mellow Johnny

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Mellow Johnny wrote:
tandfman wrote:

Uh, no I didn't. I voted for Nader, not Bush. And my vote wouldn't have changed a thing in terms of Oregon's electoral votes. And it would have been rigged regardless.

Did you know it was rigged when you voted or after?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby kuha » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:48 pm

tandfman wrote:

Exactly. There may well be real-world consequences to "symbolic" acts.

As part of my own symbolic effort, whenever I write the last name of that formerly-respected, but now pathetically delusional and fundamentally destructive figure, I spell it "Nadir."
kuha

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:58 pm

see below
Last edited by bruce3404 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce3404

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:00 pm

kuha wrote:
tandfman wrote:

Exactly. There may well be real-world consequences to "symbolic" acts.

As part of my own symbolic effort, whenever I write the last name of that formerly-respected, but now pathetically delusional and fundamentally destructive figure, I spell it "Nadir."

Excellent point. In the past, those symbolic acts didn't really mean anything, but anyone who voted for Nader, especially in Florida, has to feel bad about it.
But, Mellow Johnny, I've long used the excuse that my vote for Bush in 2000 was cast in OR and didn't make any difference. I don't think anyone could have comprehended what a nightmare the Bush presidency has become. It still baffles me that he was re-elected after his "stellar job" the first four years.
What were people thinking?
bruce3404

Postby pickle47 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:01 pm

I voted for Bush both times and have absolutely no regrets. I'm economically conservative (and he's not conservative enough for me), socially conservative (he's been okay there) and I have no problem with his foreign policy.
I'm not interested in giving up the freedoms for which our predecessors fought and died in order to have a good "image" abroad.
Our own perceptions of foreign countries is similarily skewed and has no basis in reality. Those of you that have traveled abroad know that most Venezualans are not Hugo Chavez, most Russians...etc. Everywhere I've traveled I've been met with courtesy and hospitality.
And because we live in this wonderful country, you are *free* to disagree. The only place that I will try to impose my world view on you is at the ballot box, and you are free to reciprocate.
pickle47

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:07 pm

pickle47 wrote:I voted for Bush both times and have absolutely no regrets. I'm economically conservative (and he's not conservative enough for me), socially conservative (he's been okay there) and I have no problem with his foreign policy.
I'm not interested in giving up the freedoms for which our predecessors fought and died in order to have a good "image" abroad.
Our own perceptions of foreign countries is similarily skewed and has no basis in reality. Those of you that have traveled abroad know that most Venezualans are not Hugo Chavez, most Russians...etc. Everywhere I've traveled I've been met with courtesy and hospitality.
And because we live in this wonderful country, you are *free* to disagree. The only place that I will try to impose my world view on you is at the ballot box, and you are free to reciprocate.

Pickle, as an economic conservative, I would think you'd be appalled at the condition of our economy (and since you mention that you're a traveler, the horrible devaluation of the dollar overseas). I, too, consider myself an economic conservative, which is why we have to stop draining the treasury to support an unwinnable ideological war in Iraq, while too many of our people at home are suffering. You'd think we would have learned from Vietnam. I don't at all compare this war with the two World Wars or the Korean War. There's a reason that few other countries joined us in Iraq.

That being said, I certainly appreciate you weighing in, and have a Happy 4th.
bruce3404

Postby gh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:16 pm

bad hammy wrote:The few folks I know who admitted to voting for Nader or Bush came to regret it.

some would call that a choice between Nader and Nadir :-)
gh

Re: question for those who voted for Bush the last 2 electio

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Helen S wrote:I only can think of 4 people within my social or work circle that I know voted for Bush the last 2 times. I know one has no regrets, one denied what he told me 3 years ago, one has regrets. The other we choose not to talk politics to maintain our friendship.
Anyone on this board want to either support, deny, or express their regrets today?
I will say I will look forward to January 20th, and hope that between now and then, our administrative executives don't make thier term worse than it already has been.

All other candidates running against Bush were flawed on the most fundamental of issues, and as I've heard from Fr. Corapi, "An error in the beginning is an error indeed."
Until the sancity of the most innocent of human beings, the unborn, is protected we will continue to sink further into the abyss as a country.
Economics, pollution, crime, matters nothing when we continue to stand idly by and allow babies to be killed en mass by the millions through abortion. If we as a society cannot muster up the courage to defend these littlest ones, how can we possibly care about starving people in Africa.
Mike67

Postby JRM » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:54 pm

JRM

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:59 pm

JRM wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bruce3404

Postby Helen S » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Mike67 wrote:
Helen S wrote:I only can think of 4 people within my social or work circle that I know voted for Bush the last 2 times. I know one has no regrets, one denied what he told me 3 years ago, one has regrets. The other we choose not to talk politics to maintain our friendship.

All other candidates running against Bush were flawed on the most fundamental of issues, and as I've heard from Fr. Corapi, "An error in the beginning is an error indeed."
Until the sancity of the most innocent of human beings, the unborn, is protected we will continue to sink further into the abyss as a country.
Economics, pollution, crime, matters nothing when we continue to stand idly by and allow babies to be killed en mass by the millions through abortion. If we as a society cannot muster up the courage to defend these littlest ones, how can we possibly care about starving people in Africa.

We kill innocent adults and children en mass in other countries. And the current administration supports it wholeheartedly.
Helen S

Postby Mellow Johnny » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:12 pm

Anyone who blames people who voted for Nader as the cause for Bush being elected are way off base. Why don't you blame the people who voted for Bush?

The last 8 years were awful but blaming anyone and everyone for those problems is out of line.

I can see why this forum is locked the other 364 days of the year as many of you know a heckuva lot more about track and field than you do about how our election process works. Maybe some of you should take my high school social studies classes...
Mellow Johnny

Postby bad hammy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:17 pm

Mellow Johnny wrote:Anyone who blames people who voted for Nader as the cause for Bush being elected are way off base. Why don't you blame the people who voted for Bush?

I blame both . . .
bad hammy

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Helen S wrote:
Mike67 wrote:

We kill innocent adults and children en mass in other countries. And the current administration supports it wholeheartedly.

Really? Are you sure they "wholeheartedly" support it? Oh yea, now I remember, that was the main platform issue they ran and won the election on! How silly of me to forget!
Mike67

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Mike67 wrote:Until the sancity of the most innocent of human beings, the unborn, is protected we will continue to sink further into the abyss as a country.

I would suggest that you should care about starving people in Africa because they are starving. Do you need more provocation???

Millions of extra people being born in America is hardly going to solve the problem is it???
Flumpy

Postby Mennisco » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:41 pm

Ever seen this movie Mike 67? :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Q

Heard the latest news?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/01/hospit ... topstories

What else do we see on CNN these days? High schools in the US capital with 16 textbooks and crumbling walls. Babies born in crack ghettoes. Bush's priorities were to spend trillions on a religious crusade, [which would have made Jesus weep and in all likelihood will draw the unbridled wrath of his Father upon the House of Bush] , while Leona Helmsley's "little people" kept dying at home from lack of medical care, and drugs [we won't even touch where that one ought to go]. Of course, his father never set foot in a supermarket, so how the hell could poor junior relate to the common folk, the ones he and Cheney were caught calling "assholes" while laughing [on microphone], during campaigning [when they thought they were not heard]. Yet the assholes lined up and voted for him.

You get the government you deserve? I don't really know if any people ever deserved such filthy lying criminal scum, and history will judge them accordingly.
Last edited by Mennisco on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mennisco

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Flumpy wrote:
Mike67 wrote:Until the sancity of the most innocent of human beings, the unborn, is protected we will continue to sink further into the abyss as a country.

I would suggest that you should care about starving people in Africa because they are starving. Do you need more provocation???

Millions of extra people being born in America is hardly going to solve the problem is it???

Who is an "extra person"? And Flumpy i love ya dude and i dont think your extra, just extraordinary! :D
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby AthleticsInBritain » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Yep - my question for those who voted for him would be "what were you thinking?" :?

The image damage he's done to the USA reminds me of those tips for those travelling abroad - pretend to be Canadian! :lol: :lol:

If it's any consolation - I have exactly the same feelings about Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. I know why they were voted in initially, but after the war crime of Iraq I have absolutely no idea why they're not currently in a jail cell.
AthleticsInBritain

Postby Helen S » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Mike67 wrote:
Helen S wrote:
Mike67 wrote:

Really? Are you sure they "wholeheartedly" support it? Oh yea, now I remember, that was the main platform issue they ran and won the election on! How silly of me to forget!

As I recall, the current adminstration ran heavily on a platform of pandering to the religious right (I believe that would be you) on issues including abortion, as well as going to war in the middle east. Sounds wholehearted to me. And unfrotunately too many people bit it hook, line, and sinker, although I am finding out some regeret it now.

As has been said before- don't support abortions? Don't have one then.
But let others make that legal decision by themselves. You do have the right to express your opinion on if you would have one or not, and can vote to support the legality of it.

So how do you feel aobut the bombing of innocents in the middle east?
I do not support it, express that opinion freely, and vote to end it. But there are other issues involved. I am curious now, how do you feel about gay marriage?

I must say I am glad midnight approaches.
Helen S

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:59 pm

pickle47 wrote:I voted for Bush both times and have absolutely no regrets. I'm economically conservative (and he's not conservative enough for me), socially conservative (he's been okay there) and I have no problem with his foreign policy.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
jazzcyclist

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Helen S wrote:
Mike67 wrote:
Helen S wrote:
Mike67 wrote:

As I recall, the current adminstration ran heavily on a platform of pandering to the religious right (I believe that would be you) on issues including abortion, as well as going to war in the middle east. Sounds wholehearted to me. And unfrotunately too many people bit it hook, line, and sinker, although I am finding out some regeret it now.

As has been said before- don't support abortions? Don't have one then.
But let others make that legal decision by themselves. You do have the right to express your opinion on if you would have one or not, and can vote to support the legality of it.

So how do you feel aobut the bombing of innocents in the middle east?
I do not support it, express that opinion freely, and vote to end it. But there are other issues involved. I am curious now, how do you feel about gay marriage?

I must say I am glad midnight approaches.

My statement is clear and it is in accord with right reason. Abortion is the intentional slaughtering of innocent babies. This should never be a "legal" choice! You can dance and spin and throw deflections regarding war deaths all you want, but it still does not justify this terrible evil!

Gay marriage? There is not and nor can there ever be any such thing.
Mike67

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:43 pm

Mike67 wrote:My statement is clear and it is in accord with right reason. Abortion is the intentional slaughtering of innocent babies. This should never be a "legal" choice! You can dance and spin and throw deflections regarding war deaths all you want, but it still does not justify this terrible evil!

I feel your passion and while I don't feel that abortion is an issue to be trivialized, I don't think it's as important an issue as unjust war and geopolitical hegemony.
jazzcyclist

Postby Mennisco » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Mike67 wrote:

Sure there was. John Boswell got permission to use the Vatican's libraries to do research. Standing in a courtyard, he saw a priest quickly approaching, who slapped a piece of paper in his hand, which pointed him to a section of the Vatican library.

"Gay marriage was legal and well known in Western society up until 342ad, while there were forms of Church liturgy for uniting a same sex couple in a forerunner of civil partnership."

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/inde ... l#writings

http://alexbeecroft.wordpress.com/2007/ ... n-boswell/

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/1979boswell.html

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/bosdisc-carlson.html

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/bosr ... nedy1.html

http://www.mcctoronto.com/Documents/Inf ... d_News.pdf

Just to be fair, I've included a link to a scathing criticism of one of Boswell's arguments, concerning the use of the Greek term "arsenokoiths".
Last edited by Mennisco on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mennisco

Postby AthleticsInBritain » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Would you support contraception as an alternative to abortion? Prevention rather than, for want of a much better word, 'cure'? The world population needs to halve (minimum) to be sustainable.

Plus, I could never deny a woman the choice in life-threatening circumstances - e.g. whether the woman or baby lives - or deny her the option of aborting a pregnancy that resulted from being raped.

Mennisco - I thought there'd been gay marriages in the Roman Empire, but I didn't know whether Christians had performed them. Of course, there's also no proscription against female priests either. Some revised translations of the Hebrew Bible indicate that sodomy or the rape of men is proscribed - homosexuality isn't. Still, not to rehash an old argument, but people are eating pork and shellfish and aren't being stoned to death for adultery either. When are the Churches going to start campaigning for the criminalisation of adultery?
Last edited by AthleticsInBritain on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AthleticsInBritain

Postby Helen S » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Um, sorry Mike, gay marriage does exist, whether you are in denial or not. Maybe not in your own little universe though. What is your problem with it? Why should it matter to you what sort of legal agreement two other people arrive at, be it a construction contract or a life together?

I will agree with you that taking a fetus towards becoming an independant organism (we are just upright animals after all) then ending that journey is not a an efficient use of time or resources. However I do recognize that sometimes it might be the best thing to do.
Dropping a bomb on a house in a country thousands of miles away because we did not like the leader that we put into power anymore is much less admirable endeavor in my mind.
Helen S

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Mennisco wrote:
Mike67 wrote:

Sure there was. John Boswell got permission to use the Vatican's libraries to do research. Standing in a courtyard, he saw a priest quickly approaching, who slapped a piece of paper in his hand, which pointed him to a section of the Vatican library.

"Gay marriage was legal and well known in Western society up until 342ad, while there were forms of Church liturgy for uniting a same sex couple in a forerunner of civil partnership."

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/inde ... l#writings

http://alexbeecroft.wordpress.com/2007/ ... n-boswell/

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/1979boswell.html

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/bosdisc-carlson.html

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/bosr ... nedy1.html

http://www.mcctoronto.com/Documents/Inf ... d_News.pdf

You have got to be kidding me! What kind of a source is this? Grassy knoll anyone?
Last edited by Mike67 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike67

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:03 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Mike67 wrote:My statement is clear and it is in accord with right reason. Abortion is the intentional slaughtering of innocent babies. This should never be a "legal" choice! You can dance and spin and throw deflections regarding war deaths all you want, but it still does not justify this terrible evil!

I feel your passion and while I don't feel that abortion is an issue to be trivialized, I don't think it's as important an issue as unjust war and geopolitical hegemony.

Would you say the same regarding the holocaust?
Mike67

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:08 pm

Helen S wrote:Um, sorry Mike, gay marriage does exist, whether you are in denial or not. Maybe not in your own little universe though. What is your problem with it? Why should it matter to you what sort of legal agreement two other people arrive at, be it a construction contract or a life together?

I will agree with you that taking a fetus towards becoming an independant organism (we are just upright animals after all) then ending that journey is not a an efficient use of time or resources. However I do recognize that sometimes it might be the best thing to do.
Dropping a bomb on a house in a country thousands of miles away because we did not like the leader that we put into power anymore is much less admirable endeavor in my mind.

I'm amazed that you think so little of yourself!

Marriage is a sacrament instituted by God between a Man and a Woman. The gay arrangement is not a marriage. It may be a legal contract, but it is no marriage.
Mike67

Postby AthleticsInBritain » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:08 pm

However you feel about abortion it can hardly be compared to the holocaust of Nazi Germany.
AthleticsInBritain

Postby AthleticsInBritain » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:13 pm

It depends on how you define marriage. To me, marriage is a process by which two people affirm their love and commitment to each other before God. There's no inherent reason why gender has to be an issue. Gays are people too and have a relationship with God as well. Love can never be a sin. Sexual acts can be, but love can't.
AthleticsInBritain

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:19 pm

AthleticsInBritain wrote:However you feel about abortion it can hardly be compared to the holocaust of Nazi Germany.

Can't be compared? These are human beings!!!!!!!!!!! Abortion kills babies by the millions every year!
Mike67

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:24 pm

AthleticsInBritain wrote:It depends on how you define marriage. To me, marriage is a process by which two people affirm their love and commitment to each other before God. There's no inherent reason why gender has to be an issue. Gays are people too and have a relationship with God as well. Love can never be a sin. Sexual acts can be, but love can't.

Yes, many definitions for marriage can be posited for belief. However, there is only one that can be right. I'll take the definition that my God has revealed through His Church which has the authority from Him to guide humanity on faith and morals.
Mike67

Postby AthleticsInBritain » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:26 pm

Abortions don't compare to the planned, methodical extinction of an entire race for no other reason than jealousy.

Millions of abortions? Are you sure? Just how many women do you think are getting abortions? It's not that easy a decision to make. I'm sure of all the women who consider it, more babies get born than don't.

Mind you, so do car accidents, guns, disease, war, starvation, junk food, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. All preventable. The number of abortions pale into insignificance next to those.
AthleticsInBritain

Postby AthleticsInBritain » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Mike67 wrote:
AthleticsInBritain wrote:It depends on how you define marriage. To me, marriage is a process by which two people affirm their love and commitment to each other before God. There's no inherent reason why gender has to be an issue. Gays are people too and have a relationship with God as well. Love can never be a sin. Sexual acts can be, but love can't.

Yes, many definitions for marriage can be posited for belief. However, there is only one that can be right. I'll take the definition that my God has revealed through His Church which has the authority from Him to guide humanity on faith and morals.

Be careful when you start talking about Church authority. The Western Church that has its origins in Rome is a pagan-Greek hybrid that bears little relation to the original Church founded by Jesus Christ, Mary Magdalene, and His brother James the Just. It depends on how dogmatic you want to be. Christ's contemporaries would have found modern Christianity blasphemous.

Still, we can only do ourselves what we believe is right. What we don't have the right to do is expect others to conform to those beliefs.
AthleticsInBritain

Next