Obama will be good for track and field

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Obama will be good for track and field

Postby TrackCEO » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:57 am

Get ready to celebrate with the Dems!

Here's my theory:

Every measure of public opinion and historical precedent trends toward an Obama victory in November. So what does that mean for track in field, and USATF in particular?

Well, even if Iraq becomes even a worse quagmire than it is now, it'll be a quagmire that U.S. troops won't have to resolve. We'll be drawing down our forces -- probably beefing up the Iraq border -- and being less in harm's way.

At the same time, Obama will begin serious talks with Mideast players, giving Israel a shot at peace and the Palestinians their first chance at a nation since Arafat blew it in the 1990s.

All this will improve America's image abroad, and make us less a target of animosity and terrorism. And with he Bush Crime Family removed from office, freedom of travel will open up -- freedom of foreigners to visit the United States. This includes potential foreign athletes, who will come to America for our superior coaching and college facilities.

Some will end up staying, applying for permanent residency, then citizenship -- and making our Olympic team! Ask Meb, Bernard or Lopez.

Think of all the distance stars from Arab/Muslim nations we might have groomed since the Supreme Court elected W in 2000?

The Holocaust probably killed scientists who could have cured cancer or created ways of producing clean energy. The past eight years under the Elephant Team have been a Dark Ages for science as well, especially in the field of biotech (with stem cell research set back a decade).

The Democrats will usher in progress in science, culture and sport. Track and field can't help but benefit.

K E N
TrackCEO

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:59 am

Right on, brother! And Obama took the time to attend a meet at Hayward prior to his speech here in May. I believe we have a chance to really change things for the better in this country. The alternative is another grim 4 or 8 years of Republican politics and a seemingly endless presence in Iraq while the situation in Afghanistan continues to decline and the dollar becomes worth less and less, along with the global perception of the U.S.

Eugene supported Obama by a huge margin in the Dem primaries (63-37).
bruce3404

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:34 am

Not only that but he'll turn water into wine, walk on water and run a 3 minute mile!!!
Flumpy

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:46 am

Flumpy wrote:Not only that but he'll turn water into wine, walk on water and run a 3 minute mile!!!

Well, as opposed to turning water into sewage as our infrastructure collapses due to war spending, sinking further into the quagmire that's Iraq and running around on his wife, I'd say Obama would be a vast improvement.
bruce3404

Postby Mennisco » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:34 pm

bruce3404 wrote:
Well, as opposed to turning water into sewage as our infrastructure collapses due to war spending, sinking further into the quagmire that's Iraq and running around on his wife, I'd say Obama would be a vast improvement.

Let's hope his wife has learned to stop musing publicly about his farting and snoring.
How completely bizarre.
Mennisco

Re: Obama will be good for track and field

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:48 pm

TrackCEO wrote:Get ready to celebrate with the Dems!

Here's my theory:

The Holocaust probably killed scientists who could have cured cancer or created ways of producing clean energy. The past eight years under the Elephant Team have been a Dark Ages for science as well, especially in the field of biotech (with stem cell research set back a decade).

The Democrats will usher in progress in science, culture and sport. Track and field can't help but benefit.

K E N

How ironic you cite the holocaust as possibly killing the indidual who might have cured cancer. But, you support someone who is in favor of a horror that kills millions of the most innocent human beings on the planet annually through abortion. How many great scientists were snuffed out in the womb through this insanity?
Mike67

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Mike67 wrote:

Here's my theory:

K E N

How ironic you cite the holocaust as possibly killing the indidual who might have cured cancer. But, you support someone who is in favor of a horror that kills millions of the most innocent human beings on the planet annually through abortion. How many great scientists were snuffed out in the womb through this insanity?

One Trick Pony, Mike. I let your almost duplicate post in another topic go, but I'm gonna respond to this one. I'll agree with you that abortion isn't a very pleasant thing. What I have a problem with is the anti-abortionists trying to legislate other peoples' right to choose. When abortion was illegal in this country, a lot of women were forced to visit "coat-hanger" operators who ruined their lives (and sometimes killed them). Then there's the millions of women who have children they don't want...often those children are neglected and eventually turn to lives of crime/drugs and become a huge burden on society.
The leanings of the religious right in this country aren't much different than those of the Taliban......unforgiving, un-negotiable, and some of you toss bombs, kill people and burn down buildings to get your point across.
bruce3404

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Mike67 wrote:

Here's my theory:

K E N

I genuinely had no idea where it was going until I got to the 'A' word, at which point I snorted grapefruit juice down my top

Ridiculous.
Flumpy

Postby Mike67 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:30 pm

bruce3404 wrote:
Mike67 wrote:

Here's my theory:

K E N

One Trick Pony, Mike. I let your almost duplicate post in another topic go, but I'm gonna respond to this one. I'll agree with you that abortion isn't a very pleasant thing. What I have a problem with is the anti-abortionists trying to legislate other peoples' right to choose. When abortion was illegal in this country, a lot of women were forced to visit "coat-hanger" operators who ruined their lives (and sometimes killed them). Then there's the millions of women who have children they don't want...often those children are neglected and eventually turn to lives of crime/drugs and become a huge burden on society.
The leanings of the religious right in this country aren't much different than those of the Taliban......unforgiving, un-negotiable, and some of you toss bombs, kill people and burn down buildings to get your point across.

I respect your opinion, however, let me posit this. By the way, I like your attempt at invalidation with the "one trick pony" comment!

I am sure Hitler and his goons developed some of the same arguments against Jews and the mentally handicapped! So we in the same spirit in this country have embraced the "final solution" against the most innocent.
Mike67

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:20 pm

It wasn't as much an attempt at invalidation as it was a comment that you'd already said the same thing on another thread.
bruce3404

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:03 am

bruce3404 wrote:It wasn't as much an attempt at invalidation as it was a comment that you'd already said the same thing on another thread.

He's managed to crowbar it onto every thread on this forum so far I think.
Flumpy