Thank you Garry!


Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:50 am

Sometimes, I may see something on the internet that may change my way of looking at things, but very seldom does it change my mind. Usually, the thing changes my mind is the revelation of some new facts.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10859
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:18 am

jazzcyclist wrote: the thing changes my mind is the revelation of some new facts.


Zackly! Arguments that reveal no new facts are doomed. Even if someone else's 'logic' SHOULD dissuade us from our views, we rarely open our minds enough to admit that. If, on the other hand, someone presents new facts to contradict our views, and we still ignore them, then and only then is there no hope for us.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:23 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: the thing changes my mind is the revelation of some new facts.


Zackly! Arguments that reveal no new facts are doomed. Even if someone else's 'logic' SHOULD dissuade us from our views, we rarely open our minds enough to admit that. If, on the other hand, someone presents new facts to contradict our views, and we still ignore them, then and only then is there no hope for us.


A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 am

SQUACKEE wrote:A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.


A good rule , Squak. The problem is, most people who have made up their minds on perceived truths, prejudices or ignoring obvious issues tend to ignore your facts and don't care about your opinion.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:15 am

lonewolf wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.


A good rule , Squak. The problem is, most people who have made up their minds on perceived truths, prejudices or ignoring obvious issues tend to ignore your facts and don't care about your opinion.


Surely you jest! :P
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 am

Just a sage observation, squak. :?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby eldrick » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:46 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.


A good rule , Squak. The problem is, most people who have made up their minds on perceived truths, prejudices or ignoring obvious issues tend to ignore your facts and don't care about your opinion.


Surely you jest! :P


definitely a jest

i always look forward to the squaxter's opinion 8-)
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:01 pm

eldrick wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.


A good rule , Squak. The problem is, most people who have made up their minds on perceived truths, prejudices or ignoring obvious issues tend to ignore your facts and don't care about your opinion.


Surely you jest! :P


definitely a jest

i always look forward to the squaxter's opinion 8-)


Why thank you Eldy although im not sure i deserve this great distinction.

I do have one more opinion and that is im very happy with the civilty of the political discourse so far on this message board.

You catch more track nutz with dextrose pills than atomic balm. If you understand what i just said your probably really old. :P
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby eldrick » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:36 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:I do have one more opinion and that is im very happy with the civilty of the political discourse so far on this message board


very priescent of you

it does show "we" can discuss politics & religion in civilised manner
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:45 pm

eldrick wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:I do have one more opinion and that is im very happy with the civilty of the political discourse so far on this message board


very priescent of you

it does show "we" can discuss politics & religion in civilised manner


Yeah, but, dang, its stressful suppressing the zingers. :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby cullman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: the thing changes my mind is the revelation of some new facts.


Zackly! Arguments that reveal no new facts are doomed. Even if someone else's 'logic' SHOULD dissuade us from our views, we rarely open our minds enough to admit that. If, on the other hand, someone presents new facts to contradict our views, and we still ignore them, then and only then is there no hope for us.


A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.

Facts...facts? We don't need no stinking facts!

cman
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 pm

cullman wrote:Facts...facts? We don't need no stinking facts!


Track & Field News
The T&FN Forums—No Stinkin' Facts, Just Fiction
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby Helen S » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Although not political, I recently did a complete about face as a result of an internet discussion regarding cycling. I went in with a strong opinion, but was swayed by the opinions of the small segment of the cycling community who responded.
Helen S
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: in front of the computer

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:46 pm

I must admit this forum has been fun, and at first I thought all heck was gonna break loose, but if even Mr. Left, bad hammy, can get along with Mr. Right, lonewolf, then I deem it a success, not that it has a prayer of surviving Tuesday! :D
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby bad hammy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Marlow wrote:. . .Mr. Left, bad hammy . . .

You know, if the Republicans would go back to just being fiscally conservative and dump all of the neo-con, religious-right, deficit spending crap I might even vote for one of them once in a while. As it stands, they run a pariah party . . .
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:43 pm

bad hammy wrote:
Marlow wrote:. . .Mr. Left, bad hammy . . .

You know, if the Republicans would go back to just being fiscally conservative and dump all of the neo-con, religious-right, deficit spending crap I might even vote for one of them once in a while. As it stands, they run a pariah party . . .

I was quite proud of myself - I voted for three local Republicans in their races. I'm such an Independent Thinker! :roll: :wink: 8-)
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby gm » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:26 pm

bad hammy wrote:
Marlow wrote:. . .Mr. Left, bad hammy . . .

You know, if the Republicans would go back to just being fiscally conservative and dump all of the neo-con, religious-right, deficit spending crap I might even vote for one of them once in a while. As it stands, they run a pariah party . . .


No, no you wouldn't.
gm
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Postby Daisy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:28 pm

What's your rationale? I could see hammy going for fiscal conservative. Not that I know the guy as well as you.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:51 pm

gm wrote:
bad hammy wrote:
Marlow wrote:. . .Mr. Left, bad hammy . . .

You know, if the Republicans would go back to just being fiscally conservative and dump all of the neo-con, religious-right, deficit spending crap I might even vote for one of them once in a while. As it stands, they run a pariah party . . .


No, no you wouldn't.

I feel the same way bh does. I think Ron Paul would have appeal across ideological lines. When he went on Bill Maher show, the audience treated him like a rock star. In a recent TV interview where Paul was asked to comment on the Presidential candidates, he said that he had to be careful how he spoke about Obama because there was a lot of overlap in their supporters. And he's the one Republican the Obama would not have succeeded in tying to Bush, since he's more anti-war than Obama is.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10859
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby bad hammy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:01 am

gm wrote:
bad hammy wrote:
Marlow wrote:. . .Mr. Left, bad hammy . . .

You know, if the Republicans would go back to just being fiscally conservative and dump all of the neo-con, religious-right, deficit spending crap I might even vote for one of them once in a while. As it stands, they run a pariah party . . .


No, no you wouldn't.

Dude,

You have little real clue as to who I am. I’ll give you a hint as it regards this conversation. I own a fairly large memorabilia collections centered on just two Presidents: Lincoln and Nixon. And nothing negative about Nixon in the bunch – he ended badly but did some great things prior to that. The latest addition is a ‘What would Nixon do?’ bumper sticker.

While most Republicans revere Reagan and consider his election to be the rebirth of the Republican party his glaring flaw, which has been slavishly repeated by Republicans ever since, is a love of deficit spending and trickle-down economics. Both are farcial failures and anathema to true conservatism. Add to that the fact that the fascist neo-cons and the religious right ‘we want to control your life’ idiots have pretty much dictated policy ever since, culminating in the disastrous Bush II reign, and you can see why the Republican party is about to head out to the political woodshed for an extended stay. If they are stupid enough to run Palin in ’12 they will stay out there for quite a bit longer.

Handle money responsibly, keep the peace, limit the size of government and stay out of people’s lives. This is what the Republican party should be about, not what it has been about since 1980.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:05 am

bad hammy wrote:Handle money responsibly, keep the peace, limit the size of government and stay out of people’s lives. This is what the Republican party should be about, not what it has been about since 1980.


Dang, that's the Party Line?! I wanna be one too!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:22 am

bad hammy wrote:Handle money responsibly, keep the peace, limit the size of government and stay out of people’s lives. This is what the Republican party should be about, not what it has been about since 1980.

Amen!

Ron Paul 2012
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10859
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:34 am

bad hammy wrote:
gm wrote:
bad hammy wrote:
Marlow wrote:. . .Mr. Left, bad hammy . . .

You know, if the Republicans would go back to just being fiscally conservative and dump all of the neo-con, religious-right, deficit spending crap I might even vote for one of them once in a while. As it stands, they run a pariah party . . .


No, no you wouldn't.

Dude,

You have little real clue as to who I am. I’ll give you a hint as it regards this conversation. I own a fairly large memorabilia collections centered on just two Presidents: Lincoln and Nixon. And nothing negative about Nixon in the bunch – he ended badly but did some great things prior to that. The latest addition is a ‘What would Nixon do?’ bumper sticker.

While most Republicans revere Reagan and consider his election to be the rebirth of the Republican party his glaring flaw, which has been slavishly repeated by Republicans ever since, is a love of deficit spending and trickle-down economics. Both are farcial failures and anathema to true conservatism. Add to that the fact that the fascist neo-cons and the religious right ‘we want to control your life’ idiots have pretty much dictated policy ever since, culminating in the disastrous Bush II reign, and you can see why the Republican party is about to head out to the political woodshed for an extended stay. If they are stupid enough to run Palin in ’12 they will stay out there for quite a bit longer.

Handle money responsibly, keep the peace, limit the size of government and stay out of people’s lives. This is what the Republican party should be about, not what it has been about since 1980.


Bravo.
Pego
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Postby gm » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Hey, at least you got the word "idiot" in there again. That's always a plus.
gm
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Postby bad hammy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:18 pm

gm wrote:Hey, at least you got the word "idiot" in there again. That's always a plus.

Note that I did distinguish between the idiots and the fascists . . .
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:47 am

My annual shout out to Gh for putting up with my crap and for the vodoo he do. :D
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:36 am

SQUACKEE wrote:My annual shout out to Gh for putting up with my crap and for the vodoo he do. :D

Indeed (da both of us!). Is he mellowing? . . . . . nah!! :twisted:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby SQUACKEE » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:03 am

It's 2000 and ten and i knew i had to send

a shout out to my friend

the mutha hen and ben!

thanx guys! :D
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Thank you gh and all, for the horrible flawed but still the best T&F message board in the world. When I and Marlow are finally banned for life it will achieve perfection.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:44 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:Thank you gh and all, for the horrible flawed but still the best T&F message board in the world. When I and Marlow are finally banned for life it will achieve perfection.

Only four posts in 2013. Hope you're still reading, at least.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:47 am

SQUACKEE wrote:Thank you gh and all, for the horrible flawed but still the best T&F message board in the world. When I and Marlow are finally banned for life it will achieve perfection.

Yes, but won't they have to admit that without us, it loses that 'imminent train-wreck' appeal?
Hey, by the way, please post some more, so the that little red laser-site beam isn't always on me!!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby Master Po » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:17 am

Marlow wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:Thank you gh and all, for the horrible flawed but still the best T&F message board in the world. When I and Marlow are finally banned for life it will achieve perfection.

Yes, but won't they have to admit that without us, it loses that 'imminent train-wreck' appeal?
Hey, by the way, please post some more, so the that little red laser-site beam isn't always on me!!


Yes, ,thanks gh! and, I second Marlow's request to squackee. :) as for any 'imminent train wreck' appeal you two bring here, that has been seriously eclipsed, IMHO. I think 'craziness' is in good hands on these boards these days. :D :wink:
Master Po
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:39 am

Master Po wrote:I think 'craziness' is in good hands on these boards these days. :D :wink:

Indeed. I think we were going more for the town simpleton (well, at least I am - squack is much more the Court Jester with some wisdom hiding below his japes).
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby tandfman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:10 am

I, too, enjoyed the very different point of view and manner of expression that SQUACKEE often brought to the table here. I hope he's alive and well and that his inactivity is not due to illness.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15042
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:23 am

tandfman wrote: I hope he's alive and well and that his inactivity is not due to illness.

I'm pretty sure that the nice men in the white coats are taking very good care of him. :D
Being like-minded individuals, I have had occasion to meet him and occasionally correspond. He is doing very well. [He really is one of the nicest, funniest people I have ever met]
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests