Challenger

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Challenger

Postby gh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:51 pm

local paper makes this sound like must-watch TV on Saturday night.

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/T ... 981585.php
gh

Re: Challenger

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:57 pm

My memory of it is as vivid as if it just happened. I do not want to see it again, and again, no matter how well is it done.
Pego

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:15 am

Somewhat personal to me. Christa Corrigan McAuliffe, the schoolteacher on the flight, grew up about 1 block from me in Framingham, Massachusetts. Her father had been my CYO baseball coach in junior high. She had two brothers, one in my class, Chris, and Steve Corrigan, a year behind me, who was the best athlete in our high school. He later played football and basketball at Colgate and is now an attorney in California. Steve and I played a lot of basketball together. Not sure I ever met Christa - she was 4 years older and went to Marion High School, the Catholic high school in Framingham, but I knew the family well. She later went to Framingham State Teachers College before becoming a teacher in Concord, NH.

The entire year or two before the launch my parents sent me newspaper clippings almost weekly about Christa's exploits and her plans for the shuttle flight. I well remember what I was doing when the shuttle exploded, maybe more so than most people. My parents were among half the town of Framingham who went over to the Corrigans to console them after the explosion - I was an intern at Duke at the time or would have gone as well. Half of the places in Framingham are now named for either JFK or Christa.
bambam

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:17 am

Pego wrote:My memory of it is as vivid as if it just happened. I do not want to see it again, and again, no matter how well is it done.

Because of what I just wrote - I agree - I ain't watching it. I know how it turned out.
bambam

Postby DrJay » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 pm

I was on my internal medicine rotation at Duke and one of the cardiologists, Victor Behar, came down the hall on 8 West and told anyone who was around to listen that "The Space Shuttle blew up. It just blew up."
DrJay

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:27 pm

The television show is about the aftermath of the disaster, attempted coverup by NASA, and the single scientist on who discovered the "O" ring problem.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby bambam » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:14 am

DrJay wrote:I was on my internal medicine rotation at Duke and one of the cardiologists, Victor Behar, came down the hall on 8 West and told anyone who was around to listen that "The Space Shuttle blew up. It just blew up."

We were a couple floors apart, Jay. I was a junior resident in the ACU (cardio-thoracic surgery ICU). I had been up all nite, after being on call, and had just laid down to try to get some sleep when my fellow resident came running in with the news.
bambam

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Finally watched the film. It was excellent, especially the acting.
JumboElliott

Postby gh » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:25 am

Finally got around to it last night.

Fabulous stuff! An Emmy for William Hurt! The thing had me deeply hooked within 5 minutes.

And now for the bad news (!@#$@#%@#$%) the downside of DVRing is that if a program runs long and your machine doesn't account for it…. i got cut off probably at the last commercial break! (Good thing I know already that the butler did it)

Good news is that there's a repeat today and it was in a window where I could tack extra time on the end manually so I should get the missing chunk.
gh

Postby gh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:37 am

whew! Plan B worked (except that this time through, the extra time wasn't required!).

Believe it's still in reruns on the Discovery channel. Highly recommended watching.
gh

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:03 am

They did the smart thing by not replaying the launch over and over again.
JumboElliott

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:14 am

The book by Diane Vaughn on the 'Challenger Launch Decision' is excellent.
26mi235