R.I.P.-Todd Christensen

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

R.I.P.-Todd Christensen

Postby Walt Murphy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:37 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/11/13/todd-chistensen-obit-raiders/3516843/

Worked with Todd on some meets when he was an announcer for NBC. He loved T&F and knew the sport well.
Walt Murphy

Re: R.I.P.-Todd Christensen

Postby gh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Walt Murphy wrote:... He loved T&F and knew the sport well.

Of course he did: went to high school in Eugene!
gh

Postby br » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:58 pm

Didn't know this about him...

Following his football career Todd Christensen had tryouts with the Oakland A's and the Anaheim Angels but found his niche in Masters Track and Field where he set an age-group World Record in the Heptathlon and was the top decathlete in the world for ages 45-and-over. http://speakerpedia.com/speakers/todd-christensen

He even set a world record in the 50+ age group for 60H.

http://www.springbak.net/todd-christens ... pringsoles
br

Postby gh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:19 pm

my favorite recollection was when he was doing football for NBC and Bob Costas was the studio host.

So on the pre-game show Costas is saying, "checking in the from the Meadowlands, here's Charlie Jones… and from Buffalo, here's Todd Christensen…."

Cut to Christsensen standing on the sideline with snow flurries whipping around him, and he's wearing (it's a Raiders-Bills game as I recall) a black cowboy-type outfit, with sort of a sombrero, and everything is bejeweled with silver.

When he finishes the report, Costas then makes some kind of jabbing remark about the outfit, and without missing a beat Christensen fires back, "Like it? I think I saw one in your size in the Macy's boys department." One of the few times I've ever seen Costas at a loss for words.
gh

Postby BillVol » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 pm

gh wrote:my favorite recollection was when he was doing football for NBC and Bob Costas was the studio host.

So on the pre-game show Costas is saying, "checking in the from the Meadowlands, here's Charlie Jones… and from Buffalo, here's Todd Christensen…."

Cut to Christsensen standing on the sideline with snow flurries whipping around him, and he's wearing (it's a Raiders-Bills game as I recall) a black cowboy-type outfit, with sort of a sombrero, and everything is bejeweled with silver.

When he finishes the report, Costas then makes some kind of jabbing remark about the outfit, and without missing a beat Christensen fires back, "Like it? I think I saw one in your size in the Macy's boys department." One of the few times I've ever seen Costas at a loss for words.

Wow! That is hilarious!
BillVol

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:51 am

He was also legitimately book smart and diverse in taste and talent, which is rare for an athlete, especially one that go hit for a living.
JumboElliott

Postby no one » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Lived in an adjacent town - saw him @ home depot and Target from time to time - I talked to him and he was more than interested in talking just about anything. He prided himself in breaking the mold of typical 'jock' by being a voluminous reader of just about everything. He was solidly builtHis vocabulary in the announcers booth was always entertaining. Had a son who played RB (I think) @ BYU.

Todd 'build' reminded me a bit like Fanco Harris ... rangyy, muscular, solid and little to no extra weight. All of that pales to the quality person he was.
no one

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:19 am

no one wrote:Lived in an adjacent town - saw him @ home depot and Target from time to time - I talked to him and he was more than interested in talking just about anything. He prided himself in breaking the mold of typical 'jock' by being a voluminous reader of just about everything. He was solidly builtHis vocabulary in the announcers booth was always entertaining. Had a son who played RB (I think) @ BYU.

Todd 'build' reminded me a bit like Fanco Harris ... rangyy, muscular, solid and little to no extra weight. All of that pales to the quality person he was.

Sounds like somebody we wish we all coulda met and gotten to know.
bambam

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:17 am

no one wrote:Lived in an adjacent town - saw him @ home depot and Target from time to time - I talked to him and he was more than interested in talking just about anything. He prided himself in breaking the mold of typical 'jock' by being a voluminous reader of just about everything. He was solidly builtHis vocabulary in the announcers booth was always entertaining. Had a son who played RB (I think) @ BYU.

he wanted desperately to be an NFL fullback but the Dallas cowboy's Tom Landry told him that he had an NFL career at tight end (at a time the TE position was just starting to be more fully exploited as a skill player) Todd would bring it up from time to time that he really wanted to be a full back. Well you dont make comments like that in the NFL and Landry cut him. His next chance as an NFL player was with Oakland ... as a TE... needless to say, he never looked that gift horse in the mouth again.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:05 am

In my opinion he was the best of the x-footballers turn TV guy, loved to hear him talk about what he saw, he made it very interesting.
Dixon

Postby scottmitchell74 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 pm

My all-time favorite TE. I also thought he was a fantastic analyst. R.I.P. #46
scottmitchell74