Tom Cruise - you're kidding me

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Tom Cruise - you're kidding me

Postby no one » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 am

Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan

The Mission Impossible actor initially likened the physical training he endures as surpassing that of an Olympic Athlete. He declared: "I train, you know, I've studied, you know, professional athletes. Olympians, in order to, you know, a sprinter for the Olympics. They only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

http://www.contactmusic.com/article/tom ... ob_3944432

I'm almost speechless
no one

Re: Tom Cruise - you're kidding me

Postby jeremyp » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Well that's why he gets paid way more than Bolt.
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:33 pm

no one wrote:I'm almost speechless

I read about the training that Chris Hemsworth went through to become Thor and what the Rock is going through now to play Hercules, and it definitely is as tough as any elite athlete.
Marlow

Postby no one » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:42 pm

I would welcome Cruise or Thor or Rock to do an Olympic distance runners training. He wouldn't last the first day. Would be the same thing training with college level .. and many HSers. OK - I'm not speechless any more.

Who knows EXACTLY what he said - but if he said he could do workouts of an Olympic athlete - I'm assuming he includes distance runners - of which he would wither. Okay - now I'm even even more not speechless
no one

Postby br » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:08 pm

no one wrote:Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan

The Mission Impossible actor initially likened the physical training he endures as surpassing that of an Olympic Athlete. He declared: "I train, you know, I've studied, you know, professional athletes. Olympians, in order to, you know, a sprinter for the Olympics. They only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

http://www.contactmusic.com/article/tom ... ob_3944432

I'm almost speechless

From the home page, Nov. 9... NY Daily News- Tom Cruise Compares Acting To Olympic Training- November 9, 2013
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1511177
br

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:09 pm

no one wrote:I would welcome Cruise or Thor or Rock to do an Olympic distance runners training. He wouldn't last the first day.

Um . . . that's because neither is a distance runner. Usain Bolt couldn't do it either, and I hear he's a pretty good athlete.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:40 pm

no one wrote:I would welcome Cruise or Thor or Rock to do an Olympic distance runners training. He wouldn't last the first day. Would be the same thing training with college level .. and many HSers. OK - I'm not speechless any more.

Who knows EXACTLY what he said - but if he said he could do workouts of an Olympic athlete - I'm assuming he includes distance runners - of which he would wither. Okay - now I'm even even more not speechless

He might not be about to do distance workouts at the same speed pros do them, but I don't see any reason why Cruise or any other healthy adult couldn't complete these workouts if he/she committed to distance training.
jazzcyclist

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:35 pm

I've never heard of a distance runner working a 20 hour day.
JumboElliott

Postby no one » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:33 pm

oops - I guess you guys are right - he could do distance workouts - lets say 115 miles a week with hard intervals an up 'tempo' runs, like well I don't think any of you are distance guys .... uhhhhh no way. 20 hr days have nothing to do with it. He said ... Tom Cruise said ... he said - he could do Olympic athlete's training and/or equivalent of a soldier in afghanistan how does he know what a soldier anywhere does or feels like. would never happen when doing mid to distance workouts. and he couldn't stay with any of races either. Again - I am speechless - almost ... Cruise has no clue what he's talking about
no one

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Have you ever worked two or three consecutive 20 hour days?
JumboElliott

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Cruise was vague about what Olympic event he was talking about? Let's not forget that the phrase Olympic athlete covers a lot of ground. The actress Geena Davis qualified for and competed in the Olympic trials, and had a respectable finish. Even in track and field, shot putters don't train as hard as middle distance runners.
jazzcyclist

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: Even in track and field, shot putters don't train as hard as middle distance runners.

Because they do less mileage? :lol:
Per Andersen

Postby 18.99s » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:17 am

no one wrote:Olympians, in order to, you know, a sprinter for the Olympics. They only have to run two races a day.

He sees them run 2 races on a competition day and thinks that's what their training is like? What a doofus.
18.99s

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:22 am

JumboElliott wrote:Have you ever worked two or three consecutive 20 hour days?

How about 6 consecutive 24-hour days? Just thinking back to my residency in surgery.
bambam

Postby KDFINE » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:33 am

So what was that TV talk show where he got up on the coach and made a total ass of himself? What was his blathering about that time? Something about offending women?
KDFINE

Postby Pego » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:33 am

Numerous times over ~50 years.
Pego

Postby no one » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:07 am

I've worked 3 consecutive 24 hr days - doing extremely physical work, lifting an moving heavy material, resting for 9 hours after the 3 days then another 3 consecutive 24 hour days. half hr lunches - dinner - breakfast. When you have to get your work done to complete the building/completion of a mall and under the gun to open .. does this count? I thought so. 2 consecutive 24 hour days was not unusual. on a regular basis. So I don't think that carries a whole lot of weight.

So I maintain, Tom Cruise are you kidding me (and Jumbo). As per Pego, Bambam and just about any Doctor in their early training and later - many many consecutive shifts/hours.... Tom Cruise is not the poster boy for working long hours just as he's not the poster boy for working out @ the equivalent of an Olympic athlete.

Lets be serious here. You think he could do the workouts of Frank Shorter in his prime? just one example - Jim Ryun, Emil Zatopek. And there have been hundreds if not thousands who have done exhaustive workouts at high 'speed'. and I beg to differ with Jazzlist - running 200 miles per week is no easy task.

I'm taking him at his word ... "an Olympic athlete" that is all inclusive - whether he meant that or not ... he said it. He did not specify.

"Matt - your being glib here - you don't know about psychiatry - I do. I've read the history" ... he's an expert in that too. "When people in Hollywood have a problem , they call me". One doesn't see a pattern there/here?

okay I've now become speechless
no one

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:13 am

bambam wrote:

How about 6 consecutive 24-hour days? Just thinking back to my residency in surgery.

Join Naval Aviation and you can go long stretches of being officially on-duty. I think my record for sleeping in the Ready Room awaiting a Scramble call many have only been three days though (while continuing to do my desk job from 7am-7pm). This was only during our 6-month deployments to balmy Iceland (in the winter - no biggie - the sun hardly ever rose anyway, so there wasn't much else to do!). :D
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:56 am

no one wrote:ILets be serious here. You think he could do the workouts of Frank Shorter in his prime? just one example - Jim Ryun, Emil Zatopek. And there have been hundreds if not thousands who have done exhaustive workouts at high 'speed'. and I beg to differ with Jazzlist - running 200 miles per week is no easy task.

I never said doing these workouts was easy, all I'm saying is that are people who are non-athletes who have the mental strength to do the workouts of a pro distance runner, albeit at a slower pace, with the only limitation being whether their body will hold up.

no one wrote:I'm taking him at his word ... "an Olympic athlete" that is all inclusive - whether he meant that or not ... he said it. He did not specify.

I don't interpret this phrase in the extreme sense. Not only can Usain Bolt not do very workort on the Olympic program, but Ashton Eaton can't either.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:23 am

Marlow wrote:Join Naval Aviation and you can go long stretches of being officially on-duty. I think my record for sleeping in the Ready Room awaiting a Scramble call many have only been three days though (while continuing to do my desk job from 7am-7pm). This was only during our 6-month deployments to balmy Iceland (in the winter - no biggie - the sun hardly ever rose anyway, so there wasn't much else to do!). :D

What did you fly?
JumboElliott

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:30 am

JumboElliott wrote:
Marlow wrote:Join Naval Aviation and you can go long stretches of being officially on-duty. I think my record for sleeping in the Ready Room awaiting a Scramble call many have only been three days though (while continuing to do my desk job from 7am-7pm). This was only during our 6-month deployments to balmy Iceland (in the winter - no biggie - the sun hardly ever rose anyway, so there wasn't much else to do!). :D

What did you fly?

The mighty (I'm being facetious) P-3C Orion.
Marlow

Postby no one » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:00 am

Jazz - I think we're talking apples and oranges here - so I'll leave it at that - not fruitful to continue - from my end
no one

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:06 am

Marlow wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:The mighty (I'm being facetious) P-3C Orion.

I Just read that they were replacing the P-3 with a modified 737.
JumboElliott

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 am

JumboElliott wrote:
Marlow wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:The mighty (I'm being facetious) P-3C Orion.

I Just read that they were replacing the P-3 with a modified 737.

The P-8 Poseidon. There are already some here in Jax - I keep meaning to go on a tour of one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_P-8_Poseidon
Marlow

Postby TN1965 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 am

JumboElliott wrote:I've never heard of a distance runner working a 20 hour day.

Because they shouldn't. They should sleep at least 10-12 hours a day if they want to maximize the physiological benefits of training. That still leaves 12-14 hours a day to run 20+ miles plus all the necessary strength and mobility works. If they can get away with 6-8 hours of sleep (let alone four), they are not training hard enough.

No distance runner compared his work to a Hollywood actor's work. So whether they can handle the Hollywood workload is irrelevant.
TN1965

Postby TN1965 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:13 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I never said doing these workouts was easy, all I'm saying is that are people who are non-athletes who have the mental strength to do the workouts of a pro distance runner, albeit at a slower pace, with the only limitation being whether their body will hold up.

And I suspect most people's body would not hold up. Even if you gradually increase the workload over many years, most people's body would not be able to handle the volume and (relative) intensity of an elite distance runner's workout. I don't think I could.
TN1965

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:46 am

Cruise also believes everything that Scientology teaches. :roll: I have seen marathoners lose control of their bowels, when Tom shits his pants, we'll talk. :oops: :lol:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:27 pm

There are VERY few elite distance runners today who could survive 19-year-old Jim Ryun's impossible interval workouts. I'm convinced he only became a legendary miler because his body was so immune to breaking down under the horrendous stress he put it under.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:43 pm

TN1965 wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:I never said doing these workouts was easy, all I'm saying is that are people who are non-athletes who have the mental strength to do the workouts of a pro distance runner, albeit at a slower pace, with the only limitation being whether their body will hold up.

And I suspect most people's body would not hold up. Even if you gradually increase the workload over many years, most people's body would not be able to handle the volume and (relative) intensity of an elite distance runner's workout. I don't think I could.

Ashton Eaton wouldn't be able to get through these workouts without breakiing down, which is why I focused of the mental aspect of training and not the physical part. Whether we're talking about Olympic distance running, Olympic wrestling, Olympic gymanstics, Olympic rowing or Olympic track cycling, any potential athlete would have to first develope the necessary body type to even attempt to do these workouts, and no single body type would be able to do all of them.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:56 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: no single body type would be able to do all of them.

Sigh . . . how quickly we forget . . . JACK BAUER survived MUCH more stress on his body than all athletes combined!

FACT: There has not been a terrorist attack in the United States since Jack Bauer first appeared on television.
FACT: Jack Bauer doesn't need to search the internet, he just stares a computer down until it gives him the information he needs.
FACT: Terrorists dread the day in October that Daylight Savings Time ends. Jack Bauer gets 25 hours in which to kill them.
FACT: If Jack Bauer was Spartan in the movie 300, the movie would be called 1.
FACT: Jack Bauer once lost reception on his cell phone. 24 hours later AT&T announced that it would have more bars in more places.
FACT: Jack Bauer once won a game of Connect 4 in 3 moves.
FACT: God had to give Jack Bauer immunity on the sixth commandment "Thou shalt not kill". If he hadn't, Jack would've considered God to be a terrorist and God knows what happens to terrorists.
FACT: Jack Bauer sleeps with a night light because the dark is afraid of Jack Bauer
Marlow

Postby smc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Marlow wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:

What did you fly?

The mighty (I'm being facetious) P-3C Orion.

If you don't mind me asking, when were you in Keflavik?
smc

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:42 pm

smc wrote:when were you in Keflavik?

Nov 75 - Apr 76
VP-56
When I got back home, I had been living with my suite-mate roomie as long as I had lived with my sweetheart wiffie. :shock:
Marlow

Postby smc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Marlow wrote:
smc wrote:when were you in Keflavik?

Nov 75 - Apr 76
VP-56
When I got back home, I had been living with my suite-mate roomie as long as I had lived with my sweetheart wiffie. :shock:

Sending you a PM.
smc

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Marlow wrote:There are VERY few elite distance runners today who could survive 19-year-old Jim Ryun's impossible interval workouts. I'm convinced he only became a legendary miler because his body was so immune to breaking down under the horrendous stress he put it under.

Very important point. In the late 1970s the Dutch speed skating coach asked Dianne Holum (Eric Heiden's coach) for his workout schedule so his guys could try it. Holum told him she doubted they could do it, but he wanted them to try it. She gave it to him, and the legend goes that within 2 weeks half the team was in the hospital, broken down from the killer workouts that Heiden's body could tolerate - and nobody else's could.
bambam

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm

bambam wrote:
Marlow wrote:There are VERY few elite distance runners today who could survive 19-year-old Jim Ryun's impossible interval workouts. I'm convinced he only became a legendary miler because his body was so immune to breaking down under the horrendous stress he put it under.

Very important point. In the late 1970s the Dutch speed skating coach asked Dianne Holum (Eric Heiden's coach) for his workout schedule so his guys could try it. Holum told him she doubted they could do it, but he wanted them to try it. She gave it to him, and the legend goes that within 2 weeks half the team was in the hospital, broken down from the killer workouts that Heiden's body could tolerate - and nobody else's could.

I've read similar things regarding Lance Armstrong and U.S. Postal. In training camp, even Roberto Heras couldn't handle the workload that Armstrong could handle without breaking down physically.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:35 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:couldn't handle the workload that Armstrong could handle without breaking down physically.

Well, I guess we know how Armstrong handled it . . .
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:couldn't handle the workload that Armstrong could handle without breaking down physically.

Obviously, not only did you not read USADA's report, but you also didn't see the many interviews and read the op-eds and message board posts from Armstrong's many teammates. Nor do you have the faintest idea about how endemic cycling's doping problem was, and how comprehensive the list of convicted and admitted dopers is for the pro cyclists who competed from the early 90's to the mid 00's.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:16 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Obviously, not only did you not read USADA's report, but you also didn't see the many interviews

Well, I did read about how Lance's legacy is one of lies, cheating and deceit. He did super-human work-outs on PEDs. I do know that.
Marlow

Postby 18.99s » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:59 am

Another thing Cruise is probably not considering is that when he works a 20-hour day, he has people to clean his house, cook his meals, wash his dishes, mow his lawn, iron his clothes, walk his dog, and do whatever other chores and errands need to be done. But when a regular person works a 20-hour day, they still have to deal with doing all those things for themselves.
18.99s

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:18 am

Is this the same guy who jumped up and down on Oprah's couch, declaring his undying love for (former-wife-now-divorced) Katie Holmes?
Marlow

Next