Will we get a 77 year old Oscar winner?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Will we get a 77 year old Oscar winner?

Postby jeremyp » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Robert Redford and Bruce Dern are in the running, and both are 77. We all know about Redford but how many people know about Dern. Yes he's a serious Track fan and runner, but he was also raised in the lap of luxury and had Adlai Stevenson and Eleanor Roosevelt as his Godparents, and a grandfather who was governor of Utah (Is that why he did "Big Love?"). Read it at: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/movie ... ovies&_r=0.
I remember Dern telling a story about running at UCLA (?) and doing 6 minute mile pace, when John Walker came on to work out and asked him if he wouldn't mind "jogging" in an outside lane. That might have been in 1974 when I saw him (Walker) run at the Nationals in California after his epic run against Bayi.
jeremyp

Re: Will we get a 77 year old Oscar winner?

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Christopher Plummer, 82, won best supporting actor.
Jessica Tandy, 80, when she won best actress.
Marlow

Postby bambam » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:51 pm

jeremyp wrote:I remember Dern telling a story about running at UCLA (?) and doing 6 minute mile pace, when John Walker came on to work out and asked him if he wouldn't mind "jogging" in an outside lane.

I remember that story as well.
bambam

Postby no one » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm

in the 60s and 70 [beyond?]s, Southern California had a series of all comers track meets during the summer. They attracted many national and even internationally ranked stars (i.e., Bob Schul set the World record in the 2 mile in one held at Pierce College. World ranked PVrs were frequent, sub 4 miles ... top notch hurdlers and sprinters, etc etc.) Bruce Dern was a frequent spectator as well as participant ... as was Dean Smith). Pretty heady company. While not participants, I remember seeing Burt Lancaster, Dick Van Dyke, and ..... even the Jackson Five. Can't remember but Burt and Van Dyke must have been Oscar material - they weren't 77 yrs old then, however. There were many many So Cal HS, College and 'open' athletes. Igloi's Boys ... showed up often Beatty - but I don't recall him actually racing - but all would do warm-ups and short sprints on infield. All this on a pretty horrible track. . I don't remember seeing Bob Redford 8-)
no one

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:31 pm

no one wrote:in the 60s and 70 [beyond?]s, Southern California had a series of all comers track meets during the summer. They attracted many national and even internationally ranked stars (i.e., Bob Schul set the World record in the 2 mile in one held at Pierce College. World ranked PVrs were frequent, sub 4 miles ... top notch hurdlers and sprinters, etc etc.) Bruce Dern was a frequent spectator as well as participant ... as was Dean Smith). Pretty heady company. While not participants, I remember seeing Burt Lancaster, Dick Van Dyke, and ..... even the Jackson Five. Can't remember but Burt and Van Dyke must have been Oscar material - they weren't 77 yrs old then, however. There were many many So Cal HS, College and 'open' athletes. Igloi's Boys ... showed up often Beatty - but I don't recall him actually racing - but all would do warm-ups and short sprints on infield. All this on a pretty horrible track. . I don't remember seeing Bob Redford 8-)

In 1974 at the AAU that I mentioned previously I was standing on one of the walkways looking down at the action when a big shadow covered me. To my left was Wilt Chamberlain. Nothing like feeling picayune.
jeremyp