Rock & Roll Trivia

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Rock & Roll Trivia

Postby Blues » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:38 am

Dixon wrote:As weird as this sounds I want that old stuff to sound old. It does set the stage. I'm in 1926 so be 1926.

When it comes to Elmore, Muddy, Hooker, Wolf etc now I want the sound quality.

Nice to talk with someone who knows that music :D

I agree that the old inferior quality recordings give a historical feeling to the music, and help establish the time period.. For whatever reason I just like recorded music to sound as live as possible, whether it's the way it sounded live in 2013, or the way it sounded live in 1926.. I get the most goosebumps when I can shut my eyes and feel that I'm actually in the audience.. (smile).

I remember when the first Beatles albums were released on cd... I was really disappointed that the first few were processed in mono rather than stereo.. That definitely decreased the enjoyment for me and made my listening less involving, even though so much of the music was great. I guess that's kinda related to how I feel about the early blues recordings.
Blues

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:46 am

Blues wrote:
Dixon wrote:As weird as this sounds I want that old stuff to sound old. It does set the stage. I'm in 1926 so be 1926.

When it comes to Elmore, Muddy, Hooker, Wolf etc now I want the sound quality.

Nice to talk with someone who knows that music :D

I agree that the old inferior quality recordings give a historical feeling to the music, and help establish the time period.. For whatever reason I just like recorded music to sound as live as possible, whether it's the way it sounded live in 2013, or the way it sounded live in 1926.. I get the most goosebumps when I can shut my eyes and feel that I'm actually in the audience.. (smile).

I remember when the first Beatles albums were released on cd... I was really disappointed that the first few were processed in mono rather than stereo.. That definitely decreased the enjoyment for me and made my listening less involving, even though so much of the music was great. I guess that's kinda related to how I feel about the early blues recordings.

As we all now music is a mood thing. Sometimes it's gotta be country, other times The Talking Heads while other times The Black Keys, yep...head phone music. But I can't go but a few weeks before I need to wander those dusty southern roads and be indoors before sundown. I can hear the Katy rolling down them tracks and that old moonshine tastes great 8-)

You know exactly what I mean, I can tell.

I have all the Beatles stuff. And like Elvis, they are on this other level.
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Blues wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:Phil Phillips is the classic..one hit wonder.

So the artist is the one hit wonder and not the tune.

That's what I always thought a one hit wonder was... (A performer or band that had only one big or successful hit, etc.)

Not as the question was asked which focused nearly completely on the tune.
Dutra5

Postby gh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:10 pm

one-hit wonder has only ever meant one thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-hit_wonder
gh

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Alright. I'll let the guy get away with some poor wording if you're going to be that way about it.
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:11 am

Dutra5 wrote:Alright. I'll let the guy get away with some poor wording if you're going to be that way about it.

In musicdom there are a number of artists who had...one....tune that we associate with them simply because we really can't think of another tune they did.

96 Tears...Question Mark & The Mysterians

Alley Oop...The Hollywood Arclyles

Stay...Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs

The Werewolfs of London...Warren Zevon (and I have a 20 song CD of his and never heard any of the others on the radio)

Sea of Love...Phil Phillips...this is the one that best represents a ....One Hit Wonder. Since Phillips wasn't even a recording artist, just a guy looking to record a record. Then to have his one shot at it become one of the great tunes ever, well.....
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:35 am

[quote="Dixon"][The Werewolfs of London...Warren Zevon (and I have a 20 song CD of his and never heard any of the others on the radio)[quote]

Lawyers, Guns, and Money.
Play it All Night Long.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:27 am

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
Dixon wrote:[The Werewolfs of London...Warren Zevon (and I have a 20 song CD of his and never heard any of the others on the radio)

Play it All Night Long.

We can all rattle off a ton of...

Dylan
Stones
Doors
Beatles

etc

..tunes.

Then we have those like Zevon where it's...hmmmm?
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:44 am

While talking music....

Cool mix.

Redhouse...Jimi Hendrix
House of the Rising Sun...The Animals 1
One Good Man....Janis Joplin
In the Mood...John Lee Hooker
Truckin'...The Grateful Dead
Goin' Up The Country...Canned Heat
Big Boss Man...Jimmy Reed
Ball & Chain....Big Mama Thornton
Please Don't Go...Van Morrison 2
Black Eyed Blues...Joe Cocker
Little Sadie...Bob Dylan 3
Backdoor Man...Howlin' Wolf
I'D Rather Go Blind...Etta James
Been Down Too Long...The Doors
Cold Blooded Woman...Savoy Brown
Long Distance Call...Muddy Waters
Lonesome Dog Blues...Ligtnin' Hopkins
Love In Vain...The Rolling Stones 4
The Pusher...Steppenwolf
Midnight Rider....The Allman Brothers
I'm a Woman...Koko Taylor
The Thrill is Gone...BB King

1...Clarence Ashley cover
2...Big Joe Williams cover
3...another Ashley cover
4...Robert Johnson cover

Clarence Ashley a legendary Appalachian artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147kS8O59Qs

You would mix him with...

Dock Boggs
Cousin Emma
Dick Justice
B.F.Shelton....all his songs are about murder..hmmm?
Bayless Rose
The Carter Family
Jimmie Rodgers
Buell Kazee
Charlie Poole
Hayes Shepherd
John Hammond
Frank Hutchison
Earl Johnson
Blind Alfred Reed
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
Dixon wrote:[The Werewolfs of London...Warren Zevon (and I have a 20 song CD of his and never heard any of the others on the radio)

Play it All Night Long.

Excitable Boy
Poor Poor Pitiful Me
Hastn Down the Wind
Jeannie Needs a Shooter

These were all played fairly regularly on NYC AOR back in the day along with the other few that have been mentioned.
Dutra5

Postby bambam » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Warren Zevon was definitely no one-hit wonder.

Also had one of the great answers I have heard in dealing with one's last days, when he was dying from lung cancer. He was on Letterman, and Dave asked him how he dealt with it, and he said, "Enjoy every sandwich." Sums it up pretty well.
bambam

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:45 pm

bambam wrote:Warren Zevon was definitely no one-hit wonder.

Also had one of the great answers I have heard in dealing with one's last days, when he was dying from lung cancer. He was on Letterman, and Dave asked him how he dealt with it, and he said, "Enjoy every sandwich." Sums it up pretty well.

I totally agree, but I'd bet most pretty much associate him with WOL. When that can't be said about most other recordings artists. There is little debate over what was Zevon's biggest hit.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Scored a gem at a thrift shop....Eric Clapton: The Blues Years. There's young Eric with the Yardbirds, and a young Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page, all before his Cream days. Telephone....the star of the show, this is Eric on guitar as a member of the John Mayall band, Mayall pretty much the king of British blues, with JoAnn Kelly the queen. Now mix some ...Jeremy Spencer, T.S.McPhee, Rod Stewart, Eric Burdon, Dave Kelly, Albert Lee and ya got it covered.
Last edited by Dixon on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby br » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:52 am

gh wrote:one-hit wonder has only ever meant one thing:

RIP Dick Dodd, former Mouseketeer and drummer/vocalist of the Standells' 1965 one hit wonder "Dirty Water" ("Boston, you're my home").

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me ... 3571.story

Also had a "one-hit" when he was with the Bel-Airs in 1961, recording "Mr. Moto", an instrumental surf rock song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMaW_Se_8q8
br

Postby Dixon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:32 pm

br wrote:
gh wrote:one-hit wonder has only ever meant one thing:

RIP Dick Dodd, former Mouseketeer and drummer/vocalist of the Standells' 1965 one hit wonder "Dirty Water" ("Boston, you're my home").

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me ... 3571.story

Also had a "one-hit" when he was with the Bel-Airs in 1961, recording "Mr. Moto", an instrumental surf rock song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMaW_Se_8q8

Always dug that tune has a real blues feel to it, but have to confess didn't know anything about Dick Dodd.
Dixon

Postby gh » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
Bruce Kritzler wrote:

Play it All Night Long.

Excitable Boy
Poor Poor Pitiful Me
Hastn Down the Wind
Jeannie Needs a Shooter

These were all played fairly regularly on NYC AOR back in the day along with the other few that have been mentioned.

All depends where you live I guess; all that stuff was staple on the hip SF stations back in the day. I deffo miss the AOR format; got turned on to some great stuff that way.
gh

Postby houstonian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 pm

AOR was sublime. They would play something wonderful, then tell you who the artist was. There is nothing like fresh sound. We found so many tunes that way, just served up on the airways with far fewer pre-conceived programming notions than we deal with now.
In Houston, we would get Gil Scott Heron, Billy Preston, Stevie Wonder and Bobby Bland on the "rock" stations.

Alert--there is now an amazing movie released in many major markets: "Muscle Shoals". It applies to everything lauded on this thread. Enjoy.
houstonian

Postby Dixon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 am

Listening to Wolfman Jack turned me on to them blues, he played mostly R&B but always threw in some Jimmy Reed, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elmore James etc. I didn't know it was them blues I just knew it was different, more gut wrenching/deeper/heavy.

One of my prized possessions in the book....Sound of the City. Here we read about how rock evolved from them old blues, it totally breaks it down. We discover the first radio stations that played the music, the first groups like...The Crows. The impact Elvis made and his influenses like bluesman Big Boy Crudup and Junior Parker. I can't imagine a better read on the subject.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 pm

houstonian wrote:AOR was sublime. They would play something wonderful, then tell you who the artist was. There is nothing like fresh sound. We found so many tunes that way, just served up on the airways with far fewer pre-conceived programming notions than we deal with now.
In Houston, we would get Gil Scott Heron, Billy Preston, Stevie Wonder and Bobby Bland on the "rock" stations.

Alert--there is now an amazing movie released in many major markets: "Muscle Shoals". It applies to everything lauded on this thread. Enjoy.

Bought a bunch of records (a box) at a thift shop long ago, one of them was Gil Scott Heron, that was my intro to him, his....Angel Dust.... :D
Dixon

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:34 pm

The Revolution will be Televised !
Bruce Kritzler

Next