Rock & Roll Trivia

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Rock & Roll Trivia

Postby Dixon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:49 pm

1.What band took the names of two old prewar blues cats?

2.This guitarist was obsessed with legendary slide guitar master Elmore James...who?

3.What rocker started off covering tunes by Junior Parker, Lonnie Johnson and Big Boy Crudup?

4.What band took the name of a Muddy Waters tune?***

5.What bands biggest hit was a song about a comic strip character?

6.This classic tune was a song written for the guys girlfriend, considered by many to be the greatest...one hit wonder.

7.Give me the names of four recording artists who started off as rockers but ended up country?

8.Who were the four known as...The Million Dollar Quartet?.

9.This guy was a track star in high school prior to his recording career....?

10.What tune is widely considered the first rock & roll song?

*** There was an earlier tune by Robert Wilkins recorded in the 20's by the same name, but it was the Waters tune they knew about.
Dixon

Re: Rock & Roll Trivia

Postby aaronk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:14 pm

I'll take a stab at SOME of them......

2. George Harrison

4. Rolling Stones

5. Can't remember the band, but the cartoon character was Alley Oop.

9. Alice Cooper....aka Vince Cartier, who ran 4:06 indoor mile, which I believe was the HSR (indoors) for awhile.

10. Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets is the song most people agree on, but I think there was another song that came out in 1954.....can't remember the name offhand.....that preceded Haley's tune that is considered the "official" first R&R song.
aaronk

Postby cullman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 am

10. Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
8. Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis
7. Freddy Weller (Paul Revere and the Raiders)
Exile "Kiss You All Over"
Skeeter Davis
Charlie Rich
6. "Denise" - Randy and the Rainbows
3. Elvis
2. Jeremy Spencer of fleetwood Mac is one
cullman

Postby Dixon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:22 am

aaronk wrote:I'll take a stab at SOME of them......

2. George Harrison

4. Rolling Stones

5. Can't remember the band, but the cartoon character was Alley Oop.

9. Alice Cooper....aka Vince Cartier, who ran 4:06 indoor mile, which I believe was the HSR (indoors) for awhile.

10. Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets is the song most people agree on, but I think there was another song that came out in 1954.....can't remember the name offhand.....that preceded Haley's tune that is considered the "official" first R&R song.

2. Nope!

4.Yep!

5.The Hollywood Arclyes

6.I was thinking about somebody else.

10.There is another tune that gets more aclaim as the first rock & roll tune.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:25 am

0. Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88................Bingo!!!!!!!!
8. Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis....Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!
7. Freddy Weller (Paul Revere and the Raiders)
Exile "Kiss You All Over"
Skeeter Davis
Charlie Rich

Now add...Waylon Jennings, Kenny Rogers, Sonny James and Conway Twitty.
6. "Denise" - Randy and the Rainbows.....I think there is a better one.
3. Elvis...yep!
2. Jeremy Spencer of fleetwood Mac is one.....faimiliar with Spencer but didn't know that, was thinking of a more famous guitar player.
Dixon

Postby aaronk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:03 am

I thought it was George Harrison because in the movie "Let It Be" (and on the CD??), during the song "I Me Mine", Harrison says "Elmore James's got nothing on THIS, baby!".

ADD: I was wrong! NOT during "I Me Mine".......but during "For You Blue" where George says that about James!!
At the 1:33 mark of the song on the CD!!
(Just listened to the whole album! :) )
aaronk

Postby mcgato » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:45 am

Alice Cooper was born Vincent Damon Furnier and grew up mostly in Detroit. Vince Cartier is someone entirely different.
mcgato

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:02 am

1. is easy - Pink Floyd
6. Layla - Derek (EC) and the Dominoes
Marlow

Postby aaronk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:15 am

mcgato wrote:
Alice Cooper was born Vincent Damon Furnier and grew up mostly in Detroit. Vince Cartier is someone entirely different.

Well, at least I got his first name right!
And Cartier DID run that 4:06 indoor mile.
(Just looked it up in HS Track!!)

All this time, I'd thought HE became Alice Cooper!!
Was Furnier ("Cooper") a runner too??
aaronk

Postby wamego relays champ » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:29 am

aaronk wrote:
mcgato wrote:
aaronk wrote:9. Alice Cooper....aka Vince Cartier, who ran 4:06 indoor mile, which I believe was the HSR (indoors) for awhile.

All this time, I'd thought HE became Alice Cooper!!
Was Furnier ("Cooper") a runner too??

According to his Rock & Roll Hall of fame bio, he ran track at Cortez HS in Phoenix, AZ, and claims to have been a 4:30 miler. (He apparently moved from MI to AZ after junior high).

http://rockhall.com/inductees/alice-cooper/bio/

The roots of Alice Cooper extend back to Cortez High School in Phoenix, Arizona, where the core members came together as music aficionados with a shared yen for the macabre and surreal. They weren’t necessarily alienated misfits, as three members of the Earwigs – the first group in the Alice Cooper lineage – were high-school track stars who ranked among the fastest milers in the state. Dunaway, original drummer John Speer and Alice Cooper himself (known as Vince Furnier to his friends) could run a 4:30 mile, according to Cooper.
wamego relays champ

Postby Dixon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:14 am

aaronk wrote:I thought it was George Harrison because in the movie "Let It Be" (and on the CD??), during the song "I Me Mine", Harrison says "Elmore James's got nothing on THIS, baby!".

ADD: I was wrong! NOT during "I Me Mine".......but during "For You Blue" where George says that about James!!
At the 1:33 mark of the song on the CD!!
(Just listened to the whole album! :) )

The guy I;m talking about took it to a whole other level when it came to his devotion to Elmore James.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 am

Marlow wrote:1. is easy - Pink Floyd
6. Layla - Derek (EC) and the Dominoes

1. Yep...Pink Anderson/Floyd Council....who were both pretty obscure how those guys even knew about those two...????

2.Nope! Keep in mind...one hit wonder.
Dixon

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am

Dixon wrote:2.Nope! Keep in mind...one hit wonder.

Ha! Name another hit by Derek and the Dominos!

Wiki wrote:In the late 1960s, Eric Clapton and George Harrison became close friends, and began writing and recording music together. At this time Clapton fell in love with Harrison's wife, Pattie Boyd. His 1970 album with Derek and the Dominos, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, was written to proclaim his love for her, particularly the hit song "Layla".

Beat that!
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 am

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:2.Nope! Keep in mind...one hit wonder.

Ha! Name another hit by Derek and the Dominos!

Wiki wrote:In the late 1960s, Eric Clapton and George Harrison became close friends, and began writing and recording music together. At this time Clapton fell in love with Harrison's wife, Pattie Boyd. His 1970 album with Derek and the Dominos, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, was written to proclaim his love for her, particularly the hit song "Layla".

Beat that!

No problem!

paste

Baptiste, who was working as a bellboy in Lake Charles, Louisiana, wrote "Sea of Love" for a love interest. He was introduced to local record producer George Khoury, who brought Baptiste into his studio to record the song. At Khoury's request, Baptiste took the stage name of Phil Phillips.

The guy had....one....record, and it's a classic.
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:56 am

How can a song which was in the Billboard top 3 for two different artists be a one hit wonder? :?:
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:07 am

Dutra5 wrote:How can a song which was in the Billboard top 3 for two different artists be a one hit wonder? :?:

Phil Phillips wrote the song and recorded it as Phil Phillips and the Twilights. Who are you talking about?
Dixon

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:24 am

Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:How can a song which was in the Billboard top 3 for two different artists be a one hit wonder? :?:

Phil Phillips wrote the song and recorded it as Phil Phillips and the Twilights. Who are you talking about?

wiki wrote:Phillips' 1959 recording of the song peaked at No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard R&B chart and No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100.
In the UK, Marty Wilde covered the song, and Phillips' version failed to chart there.
The Honeydrippers' version reached No. 1 on the adult contemporary chart in 1984.
Del Shannon took it to No. 33 in 1981.
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 am

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:

wiki wrote:Phillips' 1959 recording of the song peaked at No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard R&B chart and No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100.
In the UK, Marty Wilde covered the song, and Phillips' version failed to chart there.
The Honeydrippers' version reached No. 1 on the adult contemporary chart in 1984.

The fact the song was covered by others has nothing to do with this. Phil Phillips was not a recording artist, he was just a guy who wanted to record..a...record, and it turned out to be a classic, hell, Tom Waits has covered the song.

Phil Phillips is the classic..one hit wonder.
Dixon

Postby Blues » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 am

Dixon wrote:
2.This guitarist was obsessed with legendary slide guitar master Elmore James...who?

That probably fits for a lot of blues and rock guitarists who primarily play with a slide, but two that I know have cited Elmore James as their primary musical influence are Duane Allman and Johnny Winter. I think it was Allman who said he'd tried really hard to recreate Elmore James' guitar sound for the longest time and just couldn't do it, until he found out that James played with a slide... James' version of "Dust My Broom", a song first recorded by Blues legend Robert Johnson in 1936, and initially recorded by Elmore James in 1951, is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKo80b-QfK0
Blues

Postby Dixon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:32 am

Blues wrote:
Dixon wrote:

That probably fits for a lot of blues and rock guitarists who primarily play with a slide, but two that I know have cited Elmore James as their primary musical influence are Duane Allman and Johnny Winter. I think it was Allman who said he'd tried really hard to recreate Elmore James' guitar sound for the longest time and just couldn't do it, until he found out that James played with a slide... James' version of "Dust My Broom", a song first recorded by Blues legend Robert Johnson in 1936, and initially recorded by Elmore James in 1951, is below.

I heat ya but there is one guy who was totally obsessed with Elmore James, even used his name.

That's the great Sonny Boy Williamson II (yep, there was two of them) on harmonica. Just think during his short life (murdered at 27) Robert Johnson was just another wandering blues cat. His fame came way later.
Dixon

Postby Blues » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:44 am

Dixon wrote:
Blues wrote:
Dixon wrote:

That probably fits for a lot of blues and rock guitarists who primarily play with a slide, but two that I know have cited Elmore James as their primary musical influence are Duane Allman and Johnny Winter. It was either Allman or the Band's Robbie Robertson, who said he'd tried really hard to recreate Elmore James' guitar sound for the longest time and just couldn't do it, until he found out that James played with a slide... James' version of "Dust My Broom", a song first recorded by Blues legend Robert Johnson in 1936, and initially recorded by Elmore James in 1951, is below.

I heat ya but there is one guy who was totally obsessed with Elmore James, even used his name.

That's the great Sonny Boy Williamson II (yep, there was two of them) on harmonica. Just think during his short life (murdered at 27) Robert Johnson was just another wandering blues cat. His fame came way later.

I needed the hint, especially since the guitarist has been dead since 1969 and never had a significant solo career... Is it the versatile and creative late Rolling Stones' guitarist Brian Jones?

And another link below to another Elmore James recording for those who aren't familiar.. "Early One Morning", recorded in 1960. Although he was capable of playing more guitar licks than the one in both videos that I linked to, this particular blues slide lick, along with his relatively harsh or shrill sounding vocals, became his trademark in the eyes/ears of many people..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwQ6TYLIn6o
Blues

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Dixon wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:

The fact the song was covered by others has nothing to do with this. Phil Phillips was not a recording artist, he was just a guy who wanted to record..a...record, and it turned out to be a classic, hell, Tom Waits has covered the song.

Phil Phillips is the classic..one hit wonder.

So the artist is the one hit wonder and not the tune.
Dutra5

Postby Blues » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:Phil Phillips is the classic..one hit wonder.

That's what I always thought a one hit wonder was... (A performer or band that had only one big or successful hit, etc.)
Blues

Postby br » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:54 pm

[quote="Dixon"]
9.This guy was a track star in high school prior to his recording career....?

Garth Brooks - javelin
br

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:04 am

Blues wrote:
Dixon wrote:
Blues wrote:
Dixon wrote:

That probably fits for a lot of blues and rock guitarists who primarily play with a slide, but two that I know have cited Elmore James as their primary musical influence are Duane Allman and Johnny Winter. It was either Allman or the Band's Robbie Robertson, who said he'd tried really hard to recreate Elmore James' guitar sound for the longest time and just couldn't do it, until he found out that James played with a slide... James' version of "Dust My Broom", a song first recorded by Blues legend Robert Johnson in 1936, and initially recorded by Elmore James in 1951, is below.

I needed the hint, especially since the guitarist has been dead since 1969 and never had a significant solo career... Is it the versatile and creative late Rolling Stones' guitarist Brian Jones?

And another link below to another Elmore James recording for those who aren't familiar.. "Early One Morning", recorded in 1960. Although he was capable of playing more guitar licks than the one in both videos that I linked to, this particular blues slide lick, along with his relatively harsh or shrill sounding vocals, became his trademark in the eyes/ears of many people..

Nailed it!!!!!!!!! Yep, Brian Jones who thought Elmore James was God.

Good stuff there Blues.

I'm a blues historian, yep I'm into the origins of it all. I can safely say if he/she recorded a blues tune pre 1940 I have something by them. Twelve big books on the subject over `1000 CD's dedicated to them old blues. How deep into the music are you?
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:06 am

br wrote:
Dixon wrote:9.This guy was a track star in high school prior to his recording career....?

Garth Brooks - javelin

I never thought of Garth Brooks as a rocker.
Dixon

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:44 am

Dixon wrote:
br wrote:
Dixon wrote:9.This guy was a track star in high school prior to his recording career....?
Garth Brooks - javelin

No, but his doppelgänger, Chris Gaines, sure is.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlkre_ ... ight_music

I prefer Chris.
Marlow

Postby Blues » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:52 am

Dixon wrote:
Blues wrote: I needed the hint, especially since the guitarist has been dead since 1969 and never had a significant solo career... Is it the versatile and creative late Rolling Stones' guitarist Brian Jones?

Good stuff there Blues.

I'm a blues historian, yep I'm into the origins of it all. I can safely say if he/she recorded a blues tune pre 1940 I have something by them. Twelve big books on the subject over `1000 CD's dedicated to them old blues. How deep into the music are you?

Pretty deep, but my deepest interests in blues range from about 1950 onward, so you and I together cover almost the whole range with the possible exception of 1940-1950... I really admire the work of the earlier artists too, but for some reason I'm more moved by recordings that have better or more accurate sound quality than most of those early recordings have.. I like recordings to sound as rich and realistic as possible, and to be recorded in stereo if possible so it's easier for me to hear each individual instument or part, maybe because I'm used to playing and hearing live acoustic and electric music.

I still have some older material in my cd collection (Robert Johnson, etc.), but most of it is stuff that's been re-mastered to minimize those old crackles, pops, and hisses.
Blues

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:58 am

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:
br wrote:
Garth Brooks - javelin

No, but his doppelgänger, Chris Gaines, sure is.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlkre_ ... ight_music

I prefer Chris.

I liked that, pretty cool~~~~~~~~
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:15 am

Blues wrote:
Dixon wrote:
Blues wrote: I needed the hint, especially since the guitarist has been dead since 1969 and never had a significant solo career... Is it the versatile and creative late Rolling Stones' guitarist Brian Jones?

Good stuff there Blues.

Pretty deep, but my deepest interests in blues range from about 1950 onward, so you and I together cover almost the whole range with the possible exception of 1940-1950... I really admire the work of the earlier artists too, but for some reason I'm more moved by recordings that have better or more accurate sound quality than most of those early recordings have.. I like recordings to sound as rich and realistic as possible, and to be recorded in stereo if possible so it's easier for me to hear each individual instument or part, maybe because I'm used to playing and hearing live acoustic and electric music.

I still have some older material in my cd collection (Robert Johnson, etc.), but most of it is stuff that's been re-mastered to minimize those old crackles, pops, and hisses.

As weird as this sounds I want that old stuff to sound old. It does set the stage. I'm in 1926 so be 1926.

When it comes to Elmore, Muddy, Hooker, Wolf etc now I want the sound quality.

Nice to talk with someone who knows that music :D
Dixon

Postby Blues » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:38 am

Dixon wrote:As weird as this sounds I want that old stuff to sound old. It does set the stage. I'm in 1926 so be 1926.

I agree that the old inferior quality recordings give a historical feeling to the music, and help establish the time period.. For whatever reason I just like recorded music to sound as live as possible, whether it's the way it sounded live in 2013, or the way it sounded live in 1926.. I get the most goosebumps when I can shut my eyes and feel that I'm actually in the audience.. (smile).

I remember when the first Beatles albums were released on cd... I was really disappointed that the first few were processed in mono rather than stereo.. That definitely decreased the enjoyment for me and made my listening less involving, even though so much of the music was great. I guess that's kinda related to how I feel about the early blues recordings.
Blues

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:46 am

Blues wrote:
Dixon wrote:As weird as this sounds I want that old stuff to sound old. It does set the stage. I'm in 1926 so be 1926.

I agree that the old inferior quality recordings give a historical feeling to the music, and help establish the time period.. For whatever reason I just like recorded music to sound as live as possible, whether it's the way it sounded live in 2013, or the way it sounded live in 1926.. I get the most goosebumps when I can shut my eyes and feel that I'm actually in the audience.. (smile).

I remember when the first Beatles albums were released on cd... I was really disappointed that the first few were processed in mono rather than stereo.. That definitely decreased the enjoyment for me and made my listening less involving, even though so much of the music was great. I guess that's kinda related to how I feel about the early blues recordings.

As we all now music is a mood thing. Sometimes it's gotta be country, other times The Talking Heads while other times The Black Keys, yep...head phone music. But I can't go but a few weeks before I need to wander those dusty southern roads and be indoors before sundown. I can hear the Katy rolling down them tracks and that old moonshine tastes great 8-)

You know exactly what I mean, I can tell.

I have all the Beatles stuff. And like Elvis, they are on this other level.
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Blues wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
Dixon wrote:Phil Phillips is the classic..one hit wonder.

That's what I always thought a one hit wonder was... (A performer or band that had only one big or successful hit, etc.)

Not as the question was asked which focused nearly completely on the tune.
Dutra5

Postby gh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:10 pm

one-hit wonder has only ever meant one thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-hit_wonder
gh

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Alright. I'll let the guy get away with some poor wording if you're going to be that way about it.
Dutra5

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:11 am

Dutra5 wrote:Alright. I'll let the guy get away with some poor wording if you're going to be that way about it.

In musicdom there are a number of artists who had...one....tune that we associate with them simply because we really can't think of another tune they did.

96 Tears...Question Mark & The Mysterians

Alley Oop...The Hollywood Arclyles

Stay...Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs

The Werewolfs of London...Warren Zevon (and I have a 20 song CD of his and never heard any of the others on the radio)

Sea of Love...Phil Phillips...this is the one that best represents a ....One Hit Wonder. Since Phillips wasn't even a recording artist, just a guy looking to record a record. Then to have his one shot at it become one of the great tunes ever, well.....
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:35 am

[quote="Dixon"][The Werewolfs of London...Warren Zevon (and I have a 20 song CD of his and never heard any of the others on the radio)[quote]

Lawyers, Guns, and Money.
Play it All Night Long.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:27 am

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
Dixon wrote:[The Werewolfs of London...Warren Zevon (and I have a 20 song CD of his and never heard any of the others on the radio)

Play it All Night Long.

We can all rattle off a ton of...

Dylan
Stones
Doors
Beatles

etc

..tunes.

Then we have those like Zevon where it's...hmmmm?
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:44 am

While talking music....

Cool mix.

Redhouse...Jimi Hendrix
House of the Rising Sun...The Animals 1
One Good Man....Janis Joplin
In the Mood...John Lee Hooker
Truckin'...The Grateful Dead
Goin' Up The Country...Canned Heat
Big Boss Man...Jimmy Reed
Ball & Chain....Big Mama Thornton
Please Don't Go...Van Morrison 2
Black Eyed Blues...Joe Cocker
Little Sadie...Bob Dylan 3
Backdoor Man...Howlin' Wolf
I'D Rather Go Blind...Etta James
Been Down Too Long...The Doors
Cold Blooded Woman...Savoy Brown
Long Distance Call...Muddy Waters
Lonesome Dog Blues...Ligtnin' Hopkins
Love In Vain...The Rolling Stones 4
The Pusher...Steppenwolf
Midnight Rider....The Allman Brothers
I'm a Woman...Koko Taylor
The Thrill is Gone...BB King

1...Clarence Ashley cover
2...Big Joe Williams cover
3...another Ashley cover
4...Robert Johnson cover

Clarence Ashley a legendary Appalachian artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147kS8O59Qs

You would mix him with...

Dock Boggs
Cousin Emma
Dick Justice
B.F.Shelton....all his songs are about murder..hmmm?
Bayless Rose
The Carter Family
Jimmie Rodgers
Buell Kazee
Charlie Poole
Hayes Shepherd
John Hammond
Frank Hutchison
Earl Johnson
Blind Alfred Reed
Dixon

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
Dixon wrote:[The Werewolfs of London...Warren Zevon (and I have a 20 song CD of his and never heard any of the others on the radio)

Play it All Night Long.

Excitable Boy
Poor Poor Pitiful Me
Hastn Down the Wind
Jeannie Needs a Shooter

These were all played fairly regularly on NYC AOR back in the day along with the other few that have been mentioned.
Dutra5

Next