Favorite pinball machines and arcade video games

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Favorite pinball machines and arcade video games

Postby DrJay » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Don't ever recall a thread about this, but I gotta believe some of us had our favorite machine at the bar in college.

The only pinball machine I really remember well is one I played a little at Aladdin's Castle at the local mall circa 7th grade, called Amigo. It was easy to score high, therefore was fun. I remember dropping , like, $2 in quarters on it one day and feeling really guilty and wasteful (my dad was Mr. Frugal.)

Among video games, Galaxian was my favorite. I played some Space Invaders, probably the original higher-tech arcade video game. Also some Frogger and Dig-Dug and thought they were fun, a little Asteroids (boring), a little Pac-Man. I was never an addict, might drop two or three dollars on a weekend night in between pitchers or if the conversation was lagging. There was a Defender video game in the snack bar in our dorm and there were these guys who'd be there playing for two or three hours every night. They taped a quarter to some dental floss and could rack up credits at will and play for free. Gotta wonder what they're doing these days.
DrJay

Re: Favorite pinball machines and arcade video games

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm

I remember astroids was on our lab computer and we'd often play it at night while waiting for the experiments to finish. Don't forget Tetris, my flat mate was addicted to it. Fortunately, I have never got into computer games, so not too much time lost down the rabbit hole.
Daisy

Postby Pego » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm

When my kids were teenagers in the 80's, I tried their Atari system. I was fairly decent at Pac-Man and Frogger. With DonkeyKong, I always fell off the scaffold :( .
Pego

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Donkey Kong, Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man! If I can find them, I still play them.
odelltrclan

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:54 pm

I must pre-date pinballs but found I was totally inept when my older grandkids introduced me to Pac-Man and Donkey Kong... now I am bewildered as to how pre-schoolers, who cannot even read, play computer games that I cannot grasp. :(
lonewolf

Postby BillVol » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Centipede
BillVol

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Oh, man, this floods back the memories. When I was deployed overseas with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, there were often pin-ball machines in the BOQ (Bachelor Officers Quarters - where we stayed). In the Azores, where we often deployed, there was a particular game that was a favorite among us squadron-mates, called The Black Knight,and there was considerable competition to set the table's high score over the month we were there (1983?). It was new-gen machine, with target-actuated voice-overs ("I am the Black Knight. You cannot defeat me"), multi-ball capabilities, magnet catches, rollovers, the whole nine yards. I was obsessed with it. I bet I spent at least 2 hours a day on it. Several of us got really good on it, and the high-score record went really high. After about three weeks, none of us had to pay more than a quarter to play it, because we always earned free games. Anyway, on the last day we could play it, a buddy and I each broke the record. I can't remember which of us did it last, but it was definitely good times. I actually looked around when we got home, to see if I could buy a used one, but as I recall, the coast was prohibitively high.

An image:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/310/Playfield.jpg
Marlow