More school district zero-tolerance madness.

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

More school district zero-tolerance madness.

Postby DrJay » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Kid goes to pick up her too-drunk-to-drive friend at a party (so too-drunk-to-drive friend doesn't drive and kill someone) and gets punished for doing so:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/15/living/pa ... ?hpt=hp_t3

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. :roll:
DrJay

Re: More school district zero-tolerance madness.

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:51 pm

I am a pretty laid back old coot but this kind of ignorance/stupidity/lack of common sense
pisses me off. :x
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:43 pm

School administrators can be complete morons JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. Hopefully they get caught sooner or later, but I've seen them all my life. And you do NOT want to know how many people get to be senior officers in the armed forces with less sense than the boots they're wearing . . . :evil:
Marlow

Postby Pego » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Marlow wrote: how many people get to be senior officers in the armed forces with less sense than the boots they're wearing

I encountered a bunch of those, but that was on the other side of the Iron Curtain :D .
Pego

Postby jhc68 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:06 pm

If all facts are as they are being presented, this is clearly a very bad and very unjust decision. Students, like all Americans, ought to be entitled to an appeal before fair-minded, reasonable authorities. Zero-tolerance usually implies zero-intelligence as well.

On the other hand, I just heard the family representatives on TV bemoaning that the whole incident will destroy the girl's chances for college admissions and a collegiate volleyball career.
Those assertions are absurdly over-stated.

I read university admissions essays every winter and I guarantee that if she crafts a savvy essay about this situation emphasizing her moral obligations to keep a friend safe at the sacrifice of her own ambitions it will be a positive element in the admissions process.

As for volleyball, if she is really good she will get a spot on a team. In the high school volleyball world the major club tournaments are the important showcase for college recruitment, not the school seasons. And a single glitch in the legal area like this will not be an issue... take a look at the criminal records of any BCS football program.
jhc68

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

jhc68 wrote:I read university admissions essays every winter and I guarantee that if she crafts a savvy essay about this situation emphasizing her moral obligations to keep a friend safe at the sacrifice of her own ambitions it will be a positive element in the admissions process.

Good silver lining!
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:41 am

It appears that the girl's family is going to sue the school district. At the same time, they should bring this to the attention of the Massachusetts Department of Education--these people have no right running a school district and should be removed, either by an administrative or political process. I've no idea how that would work in that state, county, school district, etc. but that should be the objectives. A successful lawsuit would just impose a burden on taxpayers, directly or indirectly. Those people should face personal consequences--they should be removed from their positions.

(I am assuming, of course, that the facts are as reported.)
tandfman

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:34 pm

While I think the decision by the school board is downright stupid, I've seen situations in which the initial decision may seem pretty dolty at face value only later to find out that there is some liability or potential liability is involved not specific to the current situation but a future issue is the decision is reversed.

What the issue would be I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the board was advised that "a reversal here doesn't hurt us but it does open us up to....". Money would be the issue.

On the other hand, I've also run into a bunch of power hungry and often hypocritical dolts on School Boards and Administration.
Dutra5

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:49 pm

My favorite is when cops stop and breathalyze college students of legal age who are walking home from bars and then cite them for public drunkenness if they blow more than a .08
JumboElliott

Postby DrJay » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Since the issue seems to be that she went to a location where alcohol was being consumed by minors, I wonder if she would have received the same punishment if she was a pizza delivery girl and delivered a pizza to said location, or if she lived in the neighborhood and she went onto that property to retrieve her dog that had run off?
DrJay

Postby bushop » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Dutra5 wrote:While I think the decision by the school board is downright stupid...

The power School Boards have is like allowing parents drill teeth for the dentist.
bushop