WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby user4 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:57 am

18.99s wrote:
norunner wrote:
rabalac wrote:Oh, I Beg to differ. The performance of the Jamaican TEAM between '08 and '13 is the reason why we have this 9-page thread going.
But we are T&F freaks, i could ask my friends, none of whom follow T&F, and not one of them would be able to name any jamaican athlete other than Bolt. I remember the reports on german TV during London, twice daily we got updates/background stories/etc on Bolt, we got ZERO reports on the rest of the jamaican team.


Right after Beijing, many non-Jamaican people I know who don't follow T&F were commenting on how incredible it is that Jamaica can win so many medals for such a small country. Some were positively amazed, others were negative ("they must be on drugs to win that many medals!"). The world may not have known or cared much about Jamaican athletes not named Bolt, but they seemed to be aware of Jamaica's medal haul.



Those of us that love Jamaica continue to be astounded that some find it odd that a small island of 3 million people could grab more than 1/2 the sprint medals at the OG and WC. It might just be jealousy that makes people doubt the prefect legitimacy of 19.2 second 200m dashes by Blake and Bolt.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby Gabriella » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:31 am

shearer39 wrote: Check yourself sir.


No, YOu check YOURSELF. norunner has since clarified his statement, which makes perfect sense. Joe Public has never heard of Melaine Walker, but they have Bolt. Bolt was the talk of Beijing, not anyone else. Since then, and that is probably in the last 2 seasons, Joe Public is becoming more aware of other athletes, but it has taken time and the majority will certainly not know who Walker is, but they may now know who SAFP is (although I have just asked about 20 people in my office and none of them have heard of her, nor Yohan Blake though a couple have heard of VCB)
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby Kav » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:23 am

I'm really not sure if it is plain stupidity or ignorance on display, i don't want to believe that some people really have it out for a third world country to the degree that they would do anything to belittle or downplay their achievements any chance they get. This faux 1st world superiority i see on display is quite dumbfounding, especially when one considers the substance of the conversation keeps swaying from one minor issue to another. Please formulate proper talking points and leave the vitriol at home, that is for the uninformed. I would like to think the readers and posters here are some of the most educated track aficionados around, act like it people.


Fact: Jadco is incompetent, they lack proper structure, vision, leadership and management. That in itself is a major issue for Jamaica and any Serious track nation. However the assertions that their incompetence equates to systemic cheating does a great disservice to the athletes who are clean and have rightfully earned their medals or places in major championships.

Lastly i notice some of the more ardent critics are jumping around the place with their strawman arguments. Jumbo elliot please address Don1 post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52246&start=150#p867675

I like to see a proper debate when it presents itself.

As for the previous poster, your cynical behaviour of anything Jamaican is truly sad, to say people have never heard of Jamaicans beside Bolt is just well garbage. That is like saying without Tyson Gay, US athletics is faceless.
Kav
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:58 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby gh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:39 am

Unfortunately, in the modern world, Gabriella is pretty close to spot-on in his analysis of "faceless" teams beyond the top-ender. It applies, in varying degrees, in all nations, to all everybody but the home team. Such is the state of the sport in the big picture.

And what's worse, of course, is that in the U.S., the "average man" would probably be hard-pressed to name even U.S. tracksters, no matter how famous. :-(
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby maroon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 am

hmmm, i think this latest debate got started because toyracer stated that the jaaa president was arrogant for stating that the olympics needed jamaica. i agree with toyracer because the more accurate statement would be that the olymics need bolt, not the whole jamaican team. so jadco will lose their leverage with wada if bolt is out of rio due to injury or any other reason.

in fact, the more interesting question arising from toyracer's post is whether jadco's lackadaisical attitude towards arranging the wada visit was driven by the same arrogance behind dr. blake's statement that the olympics need jamaica. also interesting to know what made wada leak the fact that jadco was putting off the visit until next year. it was clearly a negotiating tactiic, but was it necessary?

anyway, as stated at the beginning of the thread, jadco has mishandled this whole affair. proper management of the fallout from shirley's article would have dictated getting a wada stamp of approval as soon as possible. why would they want to have the story linger into next year?
maroon
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby shearer39 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:59 am

Gabriella that co-workers of yours are ignorant to the accomplishments of certain athletes does not in any way detract from the athlete's accomplishments. It just speaks to the ignorance of your co-workers and Joe Public for that matter. Walker is to be inducted in Texas' Hall of Fame next month. That they also have not heard of VCB or few have, is also a great indicator of general ignorance of an athlete that has been winning titles ever since she was a junior athlete.

It also why some believe that Bolt was a "bolt from the blue" pardon the expression because they only heard about him in Beijing, oblivious to the fact that he is still the only junior to break 20 seconds. This is the ignorance that prompted Byrant Gumbel and Carl Lewis to question is legitimacy after he ran 10.03 and then 9.76. The 10.03 he ran the year before was his only 100m and his first. How many people run 10,03 on their first attempt. Bolt was the fastest 15, 16 and 17 year-old in history over 200m.

So don't use ignorance of an athlete's accomplishment as an argument to make the claim that an athlete is not great. A tree that falls in the forest does make some noise even if you dont hear it.
shearer39
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Jamaica

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby toyracer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:18 am

maroon wrote:anyway, as stated at the beginning of the thread, jadco has mishandled this whole affair. proper management of the fallout from shirley's article would have dictated getting a wada stamp of approval as soon as possible. why would they want to have the story linger into next year?


Exactly.

In related news; there is a new head at JADCO.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... orts3.html

Hopefully he will be a man of action, in possession of a broom.
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby norunner » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:55 am

shearer39 wrote:Gabriella that co-workers of yours are ignorant to the accomplishments of certain athletes does not in any way detract from the athlete's accomplishments. It just speaks to the ignorance of your co-workers and Joe Public for that matter. Walker is to be inducted in Texas' Hall of Fame next month. That they also have not heard of VCB or few have, is also a great indicator of general ignorance of an athlete that has been winning titles ever since she was a junior athlete.

It also why some believe that Bolt was a "bolt from the blue" pardon the expression because they only heard about him in Beijing, oblivious to the fact that he is still the only junior to break 20 seconds. This is the ignorance that prompted Byrant Gumbel and Carl Lewis to question is legitimacy after he ran 10.03 and then 9.76. The 10.03 he ran the year before was his only 100m and his first. How many people run 10,03 on their first attempt. Bolt was the fastest 15, 16 and 17 year-old in history over 200m.

So don't use ignorance of an athlete's accomplishment as an argument to make the claim that an athlete is not great. A tree that falls in the forest does make some noise even if you dont hear it.
Are trying to misunderstand on purpose? Nobody is saying Walker or VCB or any other jamaican athletes aren't great athletes, we are saying like most other olympic champions they remain unknown to the vast majority of the public. How many olympic champions from Beijing can you name in sports other than T&F? Some of the greatest american sportsheroes are virtually unknown in Europe because almost nobody plays/follows baseball. Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, etc, household names in the US, all nobodies in Europe. Some may know Lou Gehrig because of "Pride of the Yankees", but thats it. And that's not ignorance, it's lack of interest. I wouldn't call all of America ignorant because nobody could name great soccer players.
norunner
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby user4 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Kav wrote:Fact: Jadco is incompetent, they lack proper structure, vision, leadership and management. That in itself is a major issue for Jamaica and any Serious track nation. However the assertions that their incompetence equates to systemic cheating does a great disservice to the athletes who are clean and have rightfully earned their medals or places in major championships.


Exactly, and anyone of us that love track and Jamaica can see that it is purely a coincidence that JADCO incompetence coincided with the 3million person island pulling in the lion share of the world sprint medals. Erase the hate.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby JumboElliott » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Kav wrote:
Lastly i notice some of the more ardent critics are jumping around the place with their strawman arguments. Jumbo elliot please address Don1 post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52246&start=150#p867675

None of it is acceptable, but this thread is about Jamaica. That post was deflecting the blame from Jamaica.

I personally believe in a level playing field. That means deregulation. The fight against doping is a failed one.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Gabriella wrote:
shearer39 wrote: Check yourself sir.


No, YOu check YOURSELF. norunner has since clarified his statement, which makes perfect sense. Joe Public has never heard of Melaine Walker, but they have Bolt. Bolt was the talk of Beijing, not anyone else. Since then, and that is probably in the last 2 seasons, Joe Public is becoming more aware of other athletes, but it has taken time and the majority will certainly not know who Walker is, but they may now know who SAFP is (although I have just asked about 20 people in my office and none of them have heard of her, nor Yohan Blake though a couple have heard of VCB)


My 5th grader regularly cites Blake with Bolt. Not sure why that sticks with him so much be it is not from closely following track and field. He does regularly say "I can be Bolt", but says the same thing about LeBron James.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16334
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby JWiz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:31 am

user4 wrote:
Exactly, and anyone of us that love track and Jamaica can see that it is purely a coincidence that JADCO incompetence coincided with the 3million person island pulling in the lion share of the world sprint medals. Erase the hate.


Awww, sarcasm how cute. Can you do any other tricks?
JWiz
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby user4 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:09 am

JWiz wrote:
user4 wrote:
Exactly, and anyone of us that love track and Jamaica can see that it is purely a coincidence that JADCO incompetence coincided with the 3million person island pulling in the lion share of the world sprint medals. Erase the hate.


Awww, sarcasm how cute. Can you do any other tricks?


If only we could all do JADCO-esque tricks . Those tricks are now distracting the world from recognizing that a 3million person Island can capture 5 of 6 Mens OG sprint medals (8 of 12 M&W). Erase the hate.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:19 am

26mi235 wrote:
Gabriella wrote:
shearer39 wrote: Check yourself sir.


No, YOu check YOURSELF. norunner has since clarified his statement, which makes perfect sense. Joe Public has never heard of Melaine Walker, but they have Bolt. Bolt was the talk of Beijing, not anyone else. Since then, and that is probably in the last 2 seasons, Joe Public is becoming more aware of other athletes, but it has taken time and the majority will certainly not know who Walker is, but they may now know who SAFP is (although I have just asked about 20 people in my office and none of them have heard of her, nor Yohan Blake though a couple have heard of VCB)


My 5th grader regularly cites Blake with Bolt. Not sure why that sticks with him so much be it is not from closely following track and field. He does regularly say "I can be Bolt", but says the same thing about LeBron James.


Blake would be a guy I think would have some name recognition but mainly because he beat Bolt before the Olympics which had some attention focused on him.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby don1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:34 am

JumboElliott wrote:
Kav wrote:
Lastly i notice some of the more ardent critics are jumping around the place with their strawman arguments. Jumbo elliot please address Don1 post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52246&start=150#p867675

None of it is acceptable, but this thread is about Jamaica. That post was deflecting the blame from Jamaica.

I personally believe in a level playing field. That means deregulation. The fight against doping is a failed one.


The post was not deflecting blame.

Look at all those countries in the list, with medalists in recent games, some 1st world, and they didn't carry out out any out of competition blood tests prior to London, yet WADA has nothing to say, the newspapers have nothing to say, there is no investigation.

What clearly exists to me is some level of hypocrisy and inequality in this discussion.

At least you said something I agree with, "I personally believe in a level playing field".
don1
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby Jerham » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:14 pm

JumboElliott wrote:If that's the state of the Jamaican economy, why is the government spending money on track and field?


The government does not spend much on track and field nor any other sport in Jamaica.

For example The government does not fund track and field nor any other sports programmes in the high schools in Jamaica. Do you research before you spew venom. Find out how the track and field programme works in Jamaica. Its a model that exists no where else in the world.
Jerham
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby Jerham » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:17 pm

kamikaze7 wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:If that's the state of the Jamaican economy, why is the government spending money on track and field?


In countries with high youth unemployment and poverty, spending money on the youth and sports is a good way to give the youth other avenues to earn money or overseas scholarships. It helps the youth earn money, it reduces crime. It helps some get a free education. So investing in sports is a good move by a government.


The last time I checked the high schools in Jamaica got $0 from the government to fund their sports programmes. Funds and resources are generated by donors and volunteers. Too much speculations and assumptions go on in these fora.
Jerham
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby Jerham » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:23 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
jamboy wrote:WADA's audit of JADCO is scheduled to begin next week as reported tonight on Jamaican TV.

They will find nothing. No "secret" drug labs, positive test coverups etc.

All will be well.


That is a strawman. Nobody is claimed drug tests are covered up or secret labs. What they are debating is was there neglect or a lack of desire to implement stringent anti-doping measures or incompetence by Jamaica.


Show us where the money will come form to fund JADCO at the expense of our hospitals.
Jerham
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:34 pm

JWiz wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Usain Bolt grabs the attention of the world. Shelly-Ann Frazer-Price's 100m gold was easily over shadowed by Jessica Ennis' and Jamaica didn't win another gold without Usain Bolt.


Lol wut? :lol:


So besides SAFPs gold name me a Jamaican gold won in 2012 not featuring Usain Bolt.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:40 pm

JumboElliott wrote:
Kav wrote:
Lastly i notice some of the more ardent critics are jumping around the place with their strawman arguments. Jumbo elliot please address Don1 post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52246&start=150#p867675

None of it is acceptable, but this thread is about Jamaica. That post was deflecting the blame from Jamaica.

I personally believe in a level playing field. That means deregulation. The fight against doping is a failed one.


The last thing allowing doping will do is an even playing field. Also the dire consequences of allowing doping use would be terrible on the health of athletes and would potentially victimise children in regimes with few morals. East Germany pretty much showed us this.

The playing field may not be entirely balanced but there is lots of evidence to suggest it is fairer than when there was no out of competition drug testing. The primary piece of evidence are the women's world records still standing from that era.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby t_monk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
JWiz wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Usain Bolt grabs the attention of the world. Shelly-Ann Frazer-Price's 100m gold was easily over shadowed by Jessica Ennis' and Jamaica didn't win another gold without Usain Bolt.


Lol wut? :lol:


So besides SAFPs gold name me a Jamaican gold won in 2012 not featuring Usain Bolt.


Take out Usain Bolt, Jamaica still gets gold in the 100 and gold and silver in the 200.... :?
They also still have a very formidable 4x100 that could challenge for gold.

#justsaying
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby shivfan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:01 am

Finally, a balanced article on the visit....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/24723767

Of course, this is drawn from a Reuters story, but up until now, Reuters had been writing quite a lot of rubbish on the issue.

Interesting to see that Kenya is having problems with WADA.

Of course, it's important to also remember that Kenya is not exactly a rich country, and they do have other priorities right now....
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:55 am

eldanielfire wrote:
The last thing allowing doping will do is an even playing field. Also the dire consequences of allowing doping use would be terrible on the health of athletes and would potentially victimise children in regimes with few morals. East Germany pretty much showed us this.

The playing field may not be entirely balanced but there is lots of evidence to suggest it is fairer than when there was no out of competition drug testing. The primary piece of evidence are the women's world records still standing from that era.

I don't see any evidence that the playing field is fairer than what it was when out of competition drug testing began. In fact, there might be even less parity.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby norunner » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 pm

JumboElliott wrote:I don't see any evidence that the playing field is fairer than what it was when out of competition drug testing began. In fact, there might be even less parity.
That depends on your point of view, nowadays clean athletes at least have a chance to medal and i call that an improvement. Look at some of the world lists/results from 1988, the last year before ooc tests started. In 1988 23 athletes threw the hammer over 80m, one year later it was eight and before someone objects that 88 was an olympic year, last year there were six (not counting Tikhon). Womens SP: In 1988 eight women over 21m, in the last 20 years it was TWO (not counting those with doping suspensions but even if we count those we get less than eight). I call that leveling the playing field, it may not be fair because we will always have the occasional cheater but it's much better than it was before ooc tests.
norunner
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 am

I'm not buying that the sport is cleaner or fairer. People are still doping, it's just done in a way that amplifies the expertise of the doctors and chemists. This is what we've learned from BALCO, Michele Ferrari, and Eufemiano Fuentes.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby norunner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:59 am

JumboElliott wrote:I'm not buying that the sport is cleaner or fairer. People are still doping, it's just done in a way that amplifies the expertise of the doctors and chemists. This is what we've learned from BALCO, Michele Ferrari, and Eufemiano Fuentes.
Then how do you explain what i wrote about women's shotput? If they all still dope why is nobody getting close to 22m anymore? I mean, the difference is so enormous there has to be a reason.
norunner
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 am

There were conditions other than drugs that made the Eastern Bloc athletes as good as they were.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby norunner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:28 am

JumboElliott wrote:There were conditions other than drugs that made the Eastern Bloc athletes as good as they were.
And the chinese lost those conditions too, even though they never had a democratic revolution? And what were those conditions? Professional training sponsored by the state? We still have that in Germany, you can join the army, police, customs, get paid by the government but allowed to train fulltime.
norunner
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby norunner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 am

Getting back to the original subject, apparently everything is hunkydory in Jamaica: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=48972
norunner
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby user4 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 pm

JumboElliott wrote:I'm not buying that the sport is cleaner or fairer. People are still doping, it's just done in a way that amplifies the expertise of the doctors and chemists. This is what we've learned from BALCO, Michele Ferrari, and Eufemiano Fuentes.


Jumbo Truth
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby gh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:52 pm

norunner wrote:Getting back to the original subject, apparently everything is hunkydory in Jamaica: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=48972


That's a local-paper story perhaps with a bit of spin.

More detailed story now on front page notes that WADA left town without saying a word (not that that in and of itself indicates any "bad news").
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:36 pm

The Gleaner reminds me a little bit of Pravda in its heyday.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby bushop » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:48 pm

norunner wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:There were conditions other than drugs that made the Eastern Bloc athletes as good as they were.
And the Chinese lost those conditions too, even though they never had a democratic revolution? And what were those conditions? Professional training sponsored by the state? We still have that in Germany, you can join the army, police, customs, get paid by the government but allowed to train full time.

Would you still say the benefits afforded today's German athletes pale in comparison to the days of the GDR?

I would venture a guess that the current situation in Jamaica has allowed many more athletes the opportunity to excel. Seems like back int he day to pursue post-high school sprinting a Jamaican needed to...
... no need for the academic chops to attend a US American college?
... able to stay home (near) and train in familiar surroundings and traditional support system.
... weather, weather, weather–can you imagine growing-up on a tropical island and then competing in an outdoor sport while living in Nebraska?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby shivfan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:29 am

"We would have had some budgetary constraints last year (2012). A review of the operations was done to determine what positions were, in fact, needed. Those positions, however, were not vacant. They were being filled by other persons playing dual roles. We now believe it would have been high time to have persons specifically for those roles," said Minister Neita-Headley during a press briefing yesterday at JADCO's offices in Half-Way Tree. The ability to fill those positions and do even more would have been aided by a 14 per cent increase in JADCO's budget for the current financial year, and there is more support to come. As such, a new executive director was recently named and there is a recruitment drive to fill five of the nine existing vacancies. The minister said they expect to fill all positions over the next two months as JADCO seeks to improve its operations. "Our focus going forward is on strengthening and building capacity in collaboration with our partners. Our training and public-education programme and testing programmes stand to benefit from support from CHASE, the IAAF and WADA."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... rts11.html

Not every country in the world is as rich as the US and the UK....
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby shivfan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:36 am

'They arrived in the island on Monday afternoon and it is believed that the report from the audit will not be made public until after the World Anti-Doping Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa, from November 12-15....Meanwhile, the minister revealed that JADCO has conducted 286 tests as at the end of September this year, with 45 per cent of that number being out-of-competition tests, as opposed to a total of 179 tests done the previous year. Neita Headley also noted that 300 tests were planned for this year, costing on average of US$300 per test, and excluding the costs for medical kits to conduct the tests, and fees for the medical personnel conducting the tests. For the next year the plan is to increase the number of tests to 400, and to commence the process of blood analysis.'

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/JA ... -_15358049
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby shivfan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:40 am

'However, Wada's visit to Jamaica to conduct an "extraordinary" audit into its anti-doping procedures appears to have been smoother than anticipated, with the island's sports minister Natalie Neita-Headley saying that "the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (Jadco) is not non-compliant". Neita-Headley also claimed that discussions between Jadco and Wada's three-man team during the two-day audit had been "constructive" and that Jamaica's government was "committed to the integrity of sport". A Wada spokesman refused to comment and the audit is unlikely to be made public until after Wada's conference in Johannesburg between 12-15 November.'

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/o ... ing-agency

Smoother than anticipated by the foreign press, that is....
:mrgreen:
The Guardian sounds so disappointed!
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby shivfan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:43 am

But has attention been shifted to another developing country, Kenya?

'Wada is "very frustrated" by a lack of progress in Kenya, meanwhile, a year after the country's authorities promised to investigate revelations by the German broadcaster ARD that athletes were being supplied with banned substances in exchange for a percentage of their winnings from races. "We are very frustrated," said Wada's Africa office director Rodney Swigelaar. "It's more than a year now since we went there in October and even longer since the rumours started to spread. We have not been informed that this task team is in place. Officially I cannot say where they are at with their investigation." Wada has no powers to directly sanction Kenya's sports authorities but it can rule they are non-compliant with its code. It would then be up to the International Olympic Committee to decide whether Kenya's athletes should be banned from competing at the Games. We are nowhere near that stage – yet – but Swigelaar has warned that the country could be audited and declared non-compliant if it refuses to act. "We have been extremely patient," Swigelaar said. "It's our role to go in there and ask what is wrong and why people are not complying with the code. We are still hoping that the Kenyans will stay true to their word, implement the investigation and tell the world whatever they were able to uncover. If their athletes are clean and there's no problem, then that's fine, and then if there is a problem, let's see how we can work together." The Kenya authorities blame the delay on logistical issues – including the appointment of a new sports minister after national elections in March – as well as the terrorist attack on the Westgate shopping mall in the capital Nairobi last month. Another problem is the lack of a Wada-accredited blood testing laboratory in the country, meaning it is difficult to collect and analyse samples. Gordon Oluoch, Kenya's commissioner for sports, said an inquiry was only awaiting the go-ahead by the government. "We take such allegations very seriously," he said.'

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/o ... ing-agency
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby maroon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 am

shivfan wrote:Finally, a balanced article on the visit....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/24723767

Of course, this is drawn from a Reuters story, but up until now, Reuters had been writing quite a lot of rubbish on the issue.

Interesting to see that Kenya is having problems with WADA.

Of course, it's important to also remember that Kenya is not exactly a rich country, and they do have other priorities right now....


shivfan -- wada is in a tricky position vis-a-vis national federations/drug testing bodies. they have no real coercive power except for the ultimate threat of declaring a country in non-complicance. you might recall they tried to use this against britain in the lead up to the london olympics when they tried to get them to remove the olympic ban for drug offenders. but since the non-compliance declaration is so extreme, the only real power they have is the ability to weave unfavorable narratives in the press. that is why the shirley story was a god-send for them and why it played out mostly in the press.

same thing with the kenyan story. the stories in the german press were a god-send for wada because the kenyans have to present a credible response.

having said that, i really don't buy the excuse that kenya is too poor or has other priorities that take precedence over investigating the charges made about systematic doping. if they have a testing authority/athletics federation, then its simply a matter of allocation of resources. and what could be more important than investigating such serious charges? these charges are more serious than anything alleged re jamaica and need to be sorted out pronto.
maroon
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:43 am

Jamaica's minister for sport saying that the audit went fine is like a criminal defense attorney saying that he thinks he won after summations. The fact is that we have no idea what wada found, and until they issue a report, things will likely remain that way.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: WADA launching probe into Jamaican testing

Postby toyracer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:31 am

maroon wrote:shivfan -- wada is in a tricky position vis-a-vis national federations/drug testing bodies. they have no real coercive power except for the ultimate threat of declaring a country in non-complicance.


Their sticky situation is also compounded by them not having a minimum testing standard. At least I certainly have never been able to find one. How can you rake an entity over the coals for not testing enough when the term "enough" isn't defined?
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests