Frontline: League of Denial

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Frontline: League of Denial

Postby TN1965 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 pm

"Report: NFL head injuries have led to drastic youth football participation decline"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html
TN1965

Postby bambam » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Pego wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:there was a study done on offensive linemen which showed over 10,000 head blows for the typical NFL lineman if he played in the league a certain amount of time

This is one of the situations where a redesigned helmet would help. Make it entirely for protection without being an offensive weapon.

Some recent studies, Pego, showing no difference in level of impact to the brain using several different types of helmets. They concluded that there not be a way to design a helmet to eliminate the effects of multiple hits, or very punishing hits.
bambam

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:06 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Pego wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:there was a study done on offensive linemen which showed over 10,000 head blows for the typical NFL lineman if he played in the league a certain amount of time

This is one of the situations where a redesigned helmet would help. Make it entirely for protection without being an offensive weapon.

I just had a conversation with some co-workers, who like me, played little-league, organized football while simultaneously playing school-yard tackle football when they were growing up. So at school we played tackle football at recess without pads, and after school, you went home, put your pads on, and went to practice for your little league team. In retrospect, none of us had any concussions or serious injuries from our school-yard games, because we didn't hit like we did once we put our pads on. All of the concussions and broken limbs came from football played wearing helmets and pads. So every day, the normal instinct of self-preservation caused us to adjust our style of play without even thinking about it. I'm guessing that if you minimized the armour that players could wear, players would instinctively adjust their blocking and tackling technique without changing any rules.
26mi235

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:08 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Pego wrote:

I just had a conversation with some co-workers, who like me, played little-league, organized football while simultaneously playing school-yard tackle football when they were growing up. So at school we played tackle football at recess without pads, and after school, you went home, put your pads on, and went to practice for your little league team. In retrospect, none of us had any concussions or serious injuries from our school-yard games, because we didn't hit like we did once we put our pads on. All of the concussions and broken limbs came from football played wearing helmets and pads. So every day, the normal instinct of self-preservation caused us to adjust our style of play without even thinking about it. I'm guessing that if you minimized the armour that players could wear, players would instinctively adjust their blocking and tackling technique without changing any rules.

Might work when the incentives are to win a game of pick-up ball. When the incentives ramp up, it is not clear that the natural tendency to converse oneself would play a prominent enough role - pro ball seems to indicate that such is probably not the case. There are no controlled experiments out there.
26mi235

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 am

bambam wrote:
Pego wrote:

Some recent studies, Pego, showing no difference in level of impact to the brain using several different types of helmets. They concluded that there not be a way to design a helmet to eliminate the effects of multiple hits, or very punishing hits.

This may be so. What I am saying is that the helmet should not be a weapon. Soft helmet may not protect the head any better, but it will not inflict the kind of impact the current helmets do.
Pego

Previous