Jamaican blows away the competition on the "Voice"

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Jamaican blows away the competition on the "Voice"

Postby jamboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 pm

jamboy

Re: Jamaican blows away the competition on the "Voice"

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 am

The only true Jamaicans are the Arawaks and the Tainos. The rest are just African-Jamaicans. It's the same with Americans, who are mostly European-Americans and African-Americans.
jazzcyclist

Postby toyracer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:15 am

I have never understood the need or desire for "Euro-American", "African-American" tags.

Jamaicans have never referred to themselves in such terms. We're all just... Jamaicans.
toyracer

Postby jamboy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:39 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:The only true Jamaicans are the Arawaks and the Tainos. The rest are just African-Jamaicans. It's the same with Americans, who are mostly European-Americans and African-Americans.

If you are born in America, you are an American regardless of your skin color.

If you are born in Jamaica, you are Jamaican regardless of your skin color.

Here is a Jamaican born "white man". If you told him he wasn't a "real Jamaican", he would slap you silly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDgA9LUVMA

Jamaicans come in different colors.
Jamaica's Motto on our currency is "Out of many one people"

Do your research folks.
Last edited by jamboy on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:41 pm

toyracer wrote:I have never understood the need or desire for "Euro-American", "African-American" tags.

Jamaicans have never referred to themselves in such terms. We're all just... Jamaicans.

Americans like to break down people in different classes.

I never referred to myself as being "black" until I moved to the US. I was always just a "Jamaican"
jamboy

Postby lonewolf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:17 pm

I have never understood the PC segue to :African-American" for humans perceived to have Negro ancestry. Most have never been to Africa. All Africans are not Negros. All Negros are not American. What do they call Negroes in Africa? Seriously.
It is not considered necessary to append a qualifier to other Americans of non-indigenous ancestry.

I understand that Negros resent the "n-word" because it has evolved to be considered a derogatory term for Negros, although every time it is used both user and recipient hear it mentally.

Before "black" came into popular usage, " colored", which is more accurately descriptive,was the customary polite term for Negros.

As I understand it, "cracker" is a derogatory term for a, primarily Southern, "white". While I would probably be perceived as such, I can't seem to work up any resentment. Possibly because my Comanche/Choctaw/Creek ancestry may disqualify me.

Which brings us to the ridiculous PC term "Native American" for American Indians. Indians are not native to North or South America, coming across the Asian land bridge during the last Ice Age or across the Pacific by raft. Why are we not called "Asian Americans"?

Just thinking aloud.
lonewolf

Postby jamboy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Here she is singing a reggae song "Hideway". Girl is multi-talented and beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLo3uly4m8
jamboy

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:12 am

lonewolf wrote:I have never understood the PC segue to :African-American" for humans perceived to have Negro ancestry. Most have never been to Africa. All Africans are not Negros. All Negros are not American. What do they call Negroes in Africa? Seriously.
It is not considered necessary to append a qualifier to other Americans of non-indigenous ancestry.

This isn't unique to Black folks. I'm sure you've heard people described as Irish-American, Italian-American, Mexican-American, Jewish-American, etc., haven't you?

lonewolf wrote:Which brings us to the ridiculous PC term "Native American" for American Indians. Indians are not native to North or South America, coming across the Asian land bridge during the last Ice Age or across the Pacific by raft. Why are we not called "Asian Americans"?

It's my understanding that the first people to settle in a place are credited with being that place's indigenous people. Otherwise, we'd all be considered Africans, since that is the place where all human ancestry traces back to. Therefore, I consider Native Americans to be the only true ethnic Americans, and the Arawaks and Tainos to be the only true ethnic Jamaicans.
jazzcyclist

Postby user4 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:36 am

lonewolf wrote:I have never understood the PC segue to :African-American" for humans perceived to have Negro ancestry. Most have never been to Africa. All Africans are not Negros. All Negros are not American. What do they call Negroes in Africa? Seriously.

I understand that Negros resent the "n-word" because it has evolved to be considered a derogatory term for Negros, although every time it is used both user and recipient hear it mentally.

Before "black" came into popular usage, " colored", which is more accurately descriptive,was the customary polite term for Negros.

As I understand it, "cracker" is a derogatory term for a, primarily Southern, "white". While I would probably be perceived as such, I can't seem to work up any resentment. Possibly because my Comanche/Choctaw/Creek ancestry may disqualify me.

Which brings us to the ridiculous PC term "Native American" for American Indians. Indians are not native to North or South America, coming across the Asian land bridge during the last Ice Age or across the Pacific by raft. Why are we not called "Asian Americans"?

Just thinking aloud.

I hate to break it to you but some of the newer theories strongly suggest that some of the movement of humans onto the new world may have been arctic in a western direction from Europe, suggesting that the new world algonquin speakers may have had some euro origin. "Asian" as we understand it today may not be a good model.
user4

Postby lonewolf » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 am

I had not heard that theory but I do not reject the possibility since American Indians possess physical traits of both Asian and Caucasian. Maybe America was a great Melting Pot earlier than we knew.
I was born and raised on the Kiowa/Comanche reservation in SW Oklahoma and, although I do not speak the language, always found it interesting that it has Algonquin roots as the tribe, more famous for its Great Plains exploits, was driven south from the Great Lakes region in the 16-1700s.
lonewolf

Postby toyracer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:40 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:

This isn't unique to Black folks. I'm sure you've heard people described as Irish-American, Italian-American, Mexican-American, Jewish-American, etc., haven't you?

Were those other terms used before or after the term "African-American" was first used?
toyracer

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 pm

toyracer wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Were those other terms used before or after the term "African-American" was first used?

I'm pretty sure that the term Irish-American was in vogue back in 1960 when JFK was elected at a time when Black folks were still called "Colored" or "Negro".
jazzcyclist

Postby lonewolf » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:25 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:

lonewolf wrote:Which brings us to the ridiculous PC term "Native American" for American Indians. Indians are not native to North or South America, coming across the Asian land bridge during the last Ice Age or across the Pacific by raft. Why are we not called "Asian Americans"?

It's my understanding that the first people to settle in a place are credited with being that place's indigenous people. Otherwise, we'd all be considered Africans, since that is the place where all human ancestry traces back to. Therefore, I consider Native Americans to be the only true ethnic Americans, and the Arawaks and Tainos to be the only true ethnic Jamaicans.

Good points, Jazz, but rarely do I recall hearing ethnic identifier applied to the word American for other ethnicities. In pre-PC days, I suspect more derogatory terms were in common usage.

I agree with your definition of indigenous. My point was, as you point out, ultimately all humans originated from one source/locale, which may not be resolved. I recently read a very learned book that contends the very oldest human remains have been discovered In South Africa rather than NE Africa.
Last edited by lonewolf on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lonewolf

Postby uakari » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:26 pm

what's her PB in the 100?

well, obviously from her name and appearance, she's one of the many chinese-jamaicans, who are a significant minority there.
uakari

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:16 am

FYI, the National Italian-American Foundation was founded in 1975. IIRC, at that time, the term Black was still being used to describe people of African descent, and the term African-American didn't become popular until the 1980's.
jazzcyclist

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:09 am

jamboy wrote:
toyracer wrote:I have never understood the need or desire for "Euro-American", "African-American" tags.

Americans like to break down people in different classes.

I never referred to myself as being "black" until I moved to the US. I was always just a "Jamaican"

I feel the same way. My skin color is white, my ancestry European, but that's inconsequential to me. I'm an American, and nothing else is very important to me.
JumboElliott

Postby jamboy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:15 am

This somewhat reminds me of the current controversy over the Ms. America competition. Winner was born in Syracuse, NY. She is of Indian descent and alot of stupid(racist) folks criticising her for not being a "real American".

What da hell is wrong with these people?
jamboy

Postby TrakFan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:59 am

lonewolf wrote:Good points, Jazz, but rarely do I recall hearing ethnic identifier applied to the word American for other ethnicities. In pre-PC days, I suspect more derogatory terms were in common usage.

No, they simply say "I'm Italian" or something similar. Even when they were born in the US. Whether you're Robert Dinero, Al Pacino, (both born in NY) or any other "Proud Italian"...more power to ya'
TrakFan

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 pm

JumboElliott wrote:I feel the same way. My skin color is white, my ancestry European, but that's inconsequential to me. I'm an American, and nothing else is very important to me.

Too bad the founding fathers of the U.S. didn't see skin color as being as inconsequential as you do.
jazzcyclist

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:29 pm

The personal biases of the (very progressive for their time) Founding Fathers has absolutely nothing to do with my identity as an American. Rigid identity politics is one of the few things preventing this country from moving past the ugliness of the past.
JumboElliott

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:39 pm

JumboElliott wrote:The personal biases of the (very progressive for their time) Founding Fathers has absolutely nothing to do with my identity as an American.

By what metic were they progressive? There were people around 200 years ago who called them out for the racist, misogynist hypocrites that they were.
JumboElliott wrote:Rigid identity politics is one of the few things preventing this country from moving past the ugliness of the past.

On that we agree. Identity politics is the reason our current president is the only president in this nation's history who was forced to show his papers to prove he was an American. More recently, Miss America learned a harsh lesson in idenity politics.
jazzcyclist

Postby jamboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Tessanne Chin on Jamaican TV after her Voice performance. So warm. So natural. So beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWqjPbJwyoE
jamboy

Postby DrJay » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 pm

jamboy wrote:This somewhat reminds me of the current controversy over the Ms. America competition. Winner was born in Syracuse, NY. She is of Indian descent and alot of stupid(racist) folks criticising her for not being a "real American".

You should have been around Colorado Springs 15 years ago, when Betty Beedy, one of our county commissioners, said things like all single mothers who date are "sluts" who "hop" from one bed to another. Then (and what made me think of this here) Betty went on a national TV show and used the phrase "normal, white Americans." That's the kind of people who get elected around here.

From local satirist Rich Tosches:

http://www.csindy.com/coloradosprings/b ... id=2087193
DrJay

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:52 am

jamboy wrote:This somewhat reminds me of the current controversy over the Ms. America competition. Winner was born in Syracuse, NY. She is of Indian descent and alot of stupid(racist) folks criticising her for not being a "real American".

The barrage of bigotry that Nina Davuluri had to suffer, after winning last month's Miss America, isn't the first incident in the age of the Web. The fools were at it big-time when Rima Fakih became the first Muslim to win the Miss USA in 2010.

It has always appeared to me that, here in America, some of the biggest critics of the hyphenated-American are also some of the biggest bigots. In response to the hate directed at Ms. Davuluri, someone tweeted a suggestion to those fools, that if they want to see someone who is not a so-called "real American", they should look in the mirror, because they claim to be tired of such labels, yet they are far-too-often the first to label someone in ill terms. The names they called Nina are evidence of that, and they don't even know the girl.
Last edited by CookyMonzta on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
CookyMonzta

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 am

I first saw her on Irie Vibes in NYC back in 2006. Her and her sister Tami. Their videos are all over YouTube.
CookyMonzta

Postby jamboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Fascinating piece on Tessanne Chin. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-uoVDhM ... xj7ipLwUcN
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Another amazing performance tonight by Tessanne Chin. She sang a song originally done by her mentor Jimmy Cliff "Many Rivers to Cross"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaU9Ju8bSLQ
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Just saw a poll on People magazine yesterday. 92% of respondents "expect" Tessanne to win The Voice this year.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:11 am

Another amazing performance by Tessanne on the Voice last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxsF3MWeSMU
jamboy

Postby dj » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:26 am

toyracer wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Far earlier for some. Irish-American Athletic Club (in New York City, there was a similarly named club in Boston) was the strongest track club in the country shortly after the start of the 20th century. Early 20th century clubs that also existed: Swedish-American, German-American, Polish-American, Italian-American, Finnish-American. The clubs provided a means of maintaining a link to one's heritage while trying to assimilate.
dj

Postby jamboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Another magnificent performance by Tessance Chin tonight on "The Voice".

Right beside her sister in the audience tonight was Usain Bolt. Just great.
jamboy

Postby Walt Murphy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm

jamboy wrote:Another magnificent performance by Tessance Chin tonight on "The Voice".

Right beside her sister in the audience tonight was Usain Bolt. Just great.

She seemed just as excited seeing Bolt as being on the show!
Walt Murphy

Postby jamboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Usain Bolt is her hero.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Here is Usain Bolt being interviewed on the voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4LvUFUvVJ0
Last edited by jamboy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby br » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:09 pm

There is no doubt Tessance Chin is very talented and may win, but the way he is gushing over her is starting to remind me of a certain Mary Cain devotee.
br

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:10 pm

The Voice championship being televised right now on NBC. I don't like the fact that they gave the remaining contenders overused songs as their final songs to sing, and I worry that a Whitney Houston song (as usual; what was Adam Levine thinking?) might stop Tessanne's momentum cold, at the absolute worst time, the very end of the competition.
CookyMonzta

Postby 18.99s » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 am

The Whitney Houston song didn't hurt her ... she sealed the victory with that song.
18.99s

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:59 am

Go Will!!!!!!
Dutra5

Postby Blues » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:25 am

18.99s wrote:The Whitney Houston song didn't hurt her ... she sealed the victory with that song.

I've never watched the show and I don't know who will win, but I just watched the videos of last night's performances. All three performers are obviously very talented, but of the most recent performances, Tessanne's was the one that gave me goosebumps.
Blues

Postby 18.99s » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:00 am

She won ... and Jamaicans celebrated in the streets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDaRrzYDLSs

A view from another angle, which includes the big screen showing The Voice and the calm crowd right before they break out in celebration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvDyndU2Qc#t=65
18.99s

Next