David vs Goliath

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

David vs Goliath

Postby Dixon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Miami, FSU and Ohio State scored over 200 points while their HBCU opponets scored..0. Yes yes we all know what these games are played. But the NAIA/Div iii play football and they never play the Ohio States. Yes I know..no athletic scholarships...so?

Once strength of schedule becomes a really big deal like next season. Maybe then this habit of beating up on hapless HBCU teams will stop. It's not right to lead a football team to an obvious slaughter $$$$$$ or no $$$$$$.

I'd love to see the big boys start off playing league, play everyone in the league instead of FSU playing NELouisiana or Alabama playing Troy. Let Troy play NELouisiana.

Yes I know..."what about App State beating Michigan"....what about it, they also would beat FAMU, Savannah State and Bethune Cookman.

I watch those HBCU games, it's a very low caliber football, tons of penalties/mistakes. The linemen are ..well...fat.
Dixon

Re: David vs Goliath

Postby user4 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:18 am

Dixon wrote: Once strength of schedule becomes a really big deal like next season. Maybe then this habit of beating up on hapless HBCU teams will stop. It's not right to lead a football team to an obvious slaughter $$$$$$ or no $$$$$$.

I'd love to see the big boys start off playing league, play everyone in the league instead of FSU playing NELouisiana or Alabama playing Troy. Let Troy play NELouisiana.

Interesting about the change next season in strength of schedule weight. This is great to hear. Change is coming and it is welcome.
user4

Postby Dixon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 pm

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote: Once strength of schedule becomes a really big deal like next season. Maybe then this habit of beating up on hapless HBCU teams will stop. It's not right to lead a football team to an obvious slaughter $$$$$$ or no $$$$$$.

Interesting about the change next season in strength of schedule weight. This is great to hear. Change is coming and it is welcome.

I heard some talk show guys talking about just how wrong this is scheduling obvious blowouts. It really does need to stop, it's just not fair to the kids involved.

I don't give a damn about the $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Dixon

Postby tandfman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:29 am

Dixon wrote:I don't give a damn about the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

You may not give a damn, but you can't blame those whose job it is to bring in $$$$$$$$$$$$ to the school for giving a damn. Moreover, I think we all give a damn if some of that $$$$$$$$$$$$ is being used to support non-revenue sports such as track & field.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:37 am

tandfman wrote:

You may not give a damn, but you can't blame those whose job it is to bring in $$$$$$$$$$$$ to the school for giving a damn. Moreover, I think we all give a damn if some of that $$$$$$$$$$$$ is being used to support non-revenue sports such as track & field.

Zackly. From a google hit:

If you’re Savannah State, you get dollar bills from Miami — in this case, 375,000 of them. That’s hardly a token amount. The paycheck from this game equals nearly nine percent of the school’s endowment ($4.2 million, according to school documents) and more than seven percent of the school’s reported $5.1 million athletics budget. By contrast, Miami’s endowment is valued at $678.7 million. According to Department of Education documents, its athletic revenue in 2010-11 was more than $62 million.
Savannah State received $860,000 for last year’s games against FSU and Oklahoma State. In order to play Florida State, Savannah State had to break a previously agreed contract with Northern Iowa, which cost the Tigers $200,000. That netted them $660,000 for the two marquee games.
Since Savannah State’s football team brought in $1.3 million in revenue in 2010-11, those two beatdowns boosted the Tigers’ football team revenue by more than 51 percent.
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:08 pm

tandfman wrote:

So you have no problem putting a bunch of kids in a no win position because of greed...right? I bet if a bunch of these HBCUer were getting hurt vs the big dawgs they'd stop it regardless of the $$$$$$$$$$$.

So unless RinkyDinky State plays LSU they have no football?

Coach..ok guys take a knee, as you all know we have never beat one of these BCS teams and are 50 point underdogs. But there is always a first...right? RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

players..coach, lets not get silly ok?

Coach...ok, you're right.

It's simply ridiculous $$$$$$$$$$ or no $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Dixon