Fastballs

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Fastballs

Postby KDFINE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:21 am

There is an interesting article in the Sports Section of today's New York Times relating to bio-medical limits to how fast a ball can be pitched, that immediately led me think may apply to the limits of sprinting.
KDFINE

Re: Fastballs

Postby Marlow » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 am

KDFINE wrote:There is an interesting article in the Sports Section of today's New York Times relating to bio-medical limits to how fast a ball can be pitched, that immediately led me think may apply to the limits of sprinting.

Oh, so we're back to the impossibility of survival in a car going 60mph, or a man running a mile in 4 minutes or . . . all the other 'limits' to man's capabilities (which, of course, do exist, but not at the myopic levels currently espoused).

[There was even a bio-mechanical study (sic) done once that said the human ankle/foot could not possibly hold together for a 30' LJ. The tendons and ligaments would simply shred themselves under the stress. [BTW, Carl did do it]]
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:08 am

Marlow wrote:[[There was even a bio-mechanical study (sic) done once that said the human ankle/foot could not possibly hold together for a 30' LJ. The tendons and ligaments would simply shred themselves under the stress. [BTW, Carl did do it]]

Waaalll, it was close enough to dispel the notion that something catastropic happens at 30'. I can't imagine that last one or two inches is critical to survival/destruction. :)
Dunno bout the baseball thing... watched some kids throwing at a speed gun concession at a Redhawks game..interesting that some 12-13 year old Little Leagures can throw faster than many/most full size football types trying to show off.. and, the winner was an unidentified, average size, graying man who stepped up, unceremoniously zinged a couple of 90 mph strikes and walked away..
lonewolf

Postby user4 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:35 am

lonewolf wrote:
Marlow wrote:[[There was even a bio-mechanical study (sic) done once that said the human ankle/foot could not possibly hold together for a 30' LJ. The tendons and ligaments would simply shred themselves under the stress. [BTW, Carl did do it]]

Waaalll, it was close enough to dispel the notion that something catastropic happens at 30'. I can't imagine that last one or two inches is critical to survival/destruction. :)
Dunno bout the baseball thing... watched some kids throwing at a speed gun concession at a Redhawks game..interesting that some 12-13 year old Little Leagures can throw faster than many/most full size football types trying to show off.. and, the winner was an unidentified, average size, graying man who stepped up, unceremoniously zinged a couple of 90 mph strikes and walked away..

throwing has to be one of the most confounding perplexing talents known to man... I have seen the most frail stick figure guys toss a football 70 yards and I have seen hulk like figures with biceps the size of SUV tires unable to throw 30 yards.
user4

Postby lapsus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:06 am

lonewolf wrote:

Was the unidentified, average size, graying man perhaps an aging Oklahoma oilman? It would somehow fit my mental image of the person in question :wink:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something to the article, I think you can see the same thing with javelin throwers. After a few years of 85-90 meter throws the body seems to start breaking down. For me, one of the biggest reasons for Zelezny's superiority was that for a long time he did not seem to get the really bad injuries - and therefore he could reach his potential, unlike for example Aki Parviainen.
lapsus

Postby lonewolf » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:52 pm

lapsus wrote:[Was the unidentified, average size, graying man perhaps an aging Oklahoma oilman? It would somehow fit my mental image of the person in question :wink: .

As I said, he was unidentified... . :)
lonewolf

Postby bambam » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:05 pm

user4 wrote:throwing has to be one of the most confounding perplexing talents known to man... I have seen the most frail stick figure guys toss a football 70 yards and I have seen hulk like figures with biceps the size of SUV tires unable to throw 30 yards.

Last year at a sports medicine meeting in Cooperstown, NY, threw some pitches in a batting cage/speed gun concession and after several warm-up pitches, got it all the way up to 61 mph! One more than my age last year. Going back to the meeting tomorrow and plan to try again. I've been practising (not a lot though). My goal is 70, but 65 is probably more realistic. I at least need to keep shooting my age.
bambam

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:06 am

Throwing is funny. When I was in high school they started this physical fitness test (600yd, situps, softball throw, maybe a 50 dash, pullups). I am not big now and I started hs at 83lb/4'11". I was bigger by the time we started doing the tests but still maybe 110 lbs. I could out-throw virtually the entire baseball team and I never play organized ball sports. No idea why, although we had these very tall palm trees and from when I was 9 or 10 I worked at being able to throw a ball over it. Maybe that made my throws have a higher trajectory or something.

As for the article, the author states that individuals should be able to exceed where they are now but that the typical fast pitcher will become more numerous but will be running into that limit. Also, we are not talking about one-off pitches but something that a guy can do repeatedly. It was interesting that a significant fraction of the fastest pitches (by the new machines) came in a bunch from the fastest guy.
26mi235