RIP Cal Worthington

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

RIP Cal Worthington

Postby gh » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 am

of limited geographic interest, obvioiusly, but huge for some!

http://www.adn.com/2013/09/09/3066295/r ... ngton.html
gh

Re: RIP Cal Worthington

Postby odelltrclan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I remember, go see Cal, go see Cal! RIP.
odelltrclan

Postby lovetorun » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Yes, really good man who lived his life fully, helping many other people. I grew up in Southern California and remember the ads well...
lovetorun

Postby no one » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:06 pm

and his dog, Spot! Worthington was an advertising/marketing genius
no one

Postby jhc68 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Way back in the days of early black and white TV in Southern California, Country Cal Worthington was a nearly constant presence.
In the mid-1950's and for years thereafter he sporadically sponsored and hosted a seemingly endless Sunday afternoon TV show sometimes called Cal's Corral and other times Cal's Country Jamboree. Featuring a lot of singers dressed up like Hollywood cowboys performing live (and free for anyone who wondered down there) from one of his car lots, it was like a nightmare auto lot ad that lasted 3 hours.
Cal would hire anyone willing to perform for practically no pay and that included future stars like Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, the Everly Bros and Delaney Bramlett. To hear acts like that, though, you'd have to endure countless hours of agonizingly bad singing and guitar picking as well as Cal's tireless offers of great deals on new and used cars. Nothing like it on modern TV!
jhc68

Postby gh » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:42 am

no one wrote:and his dog, Spot! Worthington was an advertising/marketing genius

I've searched in vain for years to find an audio clip that San Francisco station KSAN (the fathers of album rock) used to play in the '70s. No idea if they produced it, or it was some outside comedian.

Featured a Cal sound-alike who gave this high-powered spiel with fequent sound effects of somebody pounding on a car hood.

Included a rant (meaning it must have been about '73) about "I'll defend your right to own this gas-guzzling Cadillac" and as I recall, wrapped with "I'd run over my dog Spot to sell you a car."
gh

Postby no one » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Garry

not the parody of Cal but something you might appreciate

http://www.live-jive.org/Home_Page.html
no one

Postby br » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 pm

jhc68 wrote:Way back in the days of early black and white TV in Southern California, Country Cal Worthington was a nearly constant presence.
In the mid-1950's and for years thereafter he sporadically sponsored and hosted a seemingly endless Sunday afternoon TV show sometimes called Cal's Corral and other times Cal's Country Jamboree. Featuring a lot of singers dressed up like Hollywood cowboys performing live (and free for anyone who wondered down there) from one of his car lots, it was like a nightmare auto lot ad that lasted 3 hours.
Cal would hire anyone willing to perform for practically no pay and that included future stars like Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, the Everly Bros and Delaney Bramlett. To hear acts like that, though, you'd have to endure countless hours of agonizingly bad singing and guitar picking as well as Cal's tireless offers of great deals on new and used cars. Nothing like it on modern TV!

Cal's Corral (1959-1972).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1075762/
br

Postby lonewolf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:43 pm

I was vaguely aware Cal was born in Oklahoma but we did not get the commercials out here in the hinterland.. Wiki sez he was born in Shidler,, OK, on the Osage reservation in 1920 during the oil boom when the Osage were reportedly the richest people per capita in the Us.

Cal's povery stricken family did not share the Osage bounty and relocated to Houston when he was a baby.... but it all turned out OK for Cal.
lonewolf