On Friday the 13th: Scariest Movie Ever Seen

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

On Friday the 13th: Scariest Movie Ever Seen

Postby aaronk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 am

This being Friday the Thirteenth, I'm surprised no one's started (or regurgitated) a thread about the scariest movies!
Well, mine is the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from 1956.

What's scarier than losing your ability to FEEL......to feel joy and sadness, thrills or ennui, love or even hate?
Just don't fall asleep......!!!

Second most scary was either "Night of the Living Dead" (the original 1968 version), or "The Shining".

I know "The Shining" was just a bit over the top.....especially MISTER O.T.T., Jack Nicholson.....but the movie, even with Jack's hamming, was SCARY!!

One MOMENT in a movie that still scares me was the very end of "Carrie" (1976), when the "dead" hand of Carrie shoots up through the burnt embers of her house, and scares the shit out of Amy Irving!!

What about you?

BTW, the scariest BOOK I've ever read was ALSO "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (by Jack Finney), although I believe the original title of it was just "The Body Snatchers".
aaronk

Re: On Friday the 13th: Scariest Movie Ever Seen

Postby Marlow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:10 am

aaronk wrote:I'm surprised no one's started (or regurgitated) a thread about the scariest movies!

Speaking of projectile vomiting . . . The Exorcist scared me bad. So did Psycho (age 11) and the original Alien. Those 3, and only those 3, really scared me.
Marlow

Postby gh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am

Nope Jaws scared you too:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42432&
gh

Postby Daisy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:34 am

Omen
Daisy

Postby aaronk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 am

ADD: Another really scary MOMENT in a scary movie was in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" when Dr Bennell kissed Becky...and discovered, to his HORROR, that "she" was one of THEM!!!
EEK!!
aaronk

Postby JRM » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:12 am

For whatever reason, I was allowed to watch The Amityville Horror at the tender age of 9 (I think my parents weren't home, and my brother was watching it). Despite being on TV and heavily edited, it gave me nightmares for the next week and made me terrified to walk down the basement stairs. There have never really been any other movies that creeped me out to such an extent.
JRM

Postby Daisy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:17 am

I remember hiding behind the sofa as a kid when watching Dr Who. Three stand out in my memory. The worst were the invisible spiders, interesting that the things you can't see are the scariest. The other two were the giant maggots and the Egyptian mummies.
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:22 pm

gh wrote:Nope Jaws scared you too:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42432&

Oh, snap! Obviously I have so successfully repressed that memory that I am in total denial. Living on Florida's right coast, where sharks regularly cruise just off-shore, I still get spooked when I swim out any distance from the beach. I really do start to hear the music well up,
da dum
da dum
da dum da dum
da dum da dum da dum da dum
dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum
da da dum
deedly di deedly di deedly di deedly di deedly DI!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Marlow

Postby rsb2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:24 pm

House of Wax, 1953 version in 3-D, was plenty scary to a 7 year old!
rsb2

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Someone mentioned " Alien", so I will second that. Greatest scene ( of course ) was the guy lying on the table after have a "bit of indigestion."
dukehjsteve

Postby smc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

If you haven't seen In the Mouth of Madness, I would suggest putting that in your queue. And it'd be worth watching on a large screen in surround with the lights off.
smc

Postby aaronk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:20 pm

File under the "What Else Would You Do?" category of "Unplanned Purchases", but.......

I went to my local CD and DVD store here in Bellingham, Everyday Music, to sell some VHS, and to browse for DVD's and CD's.

And there, in the Bargain Bin, was a copy of the UNCUT version of the first "Friday the Thirteenth" movie from 1980!!!
Cost: $3.95
Condition: Perfect

I'd seen the movie, of course, as well as 8 or 9 of its sequels!!
But hey man, what ELSE would you do ON Friday the Thirteenth, but BUY the damn DVD of the movie??
UNCUT, no less!!!
:P
aaronk

Postby Marlow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:41 pm

aaronk wrote: "Friday the Thirteenth"
UNCUT, no less!!! :P

Oh yeah, I see what you did there! :wink:
Marlow

Postby Mighty Favog » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Most frightening movie? Triumph des Willens.
Mighty Favog

Postby Bob Duncan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Great choices and I'm glad that so many here are well versed in the darker side of cinema!
I love all of the classic old Universal films and the Hammer Studio films with Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and their signature line of buxom maidens.

Jaws and The Omen both scared me, but my favorite fear film is "Angel Heart", starring Mickey Rourke and DeNiro. Yowsa, I felt like a needed a couple of stiff drinks when I walked out of the theatre!

I'm also partial to The Exorcist. One night last Fall, I had the pleasure of visiting "the stairs" at the end of M Street in Georgetown, my idea of a good time in DC. See http://www.yelp.com/biz/exorcist-stairs-washington :twisted:
Bob Duncan

Postby gm » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 am

Scary? None really, they're just movies.

I did get ejected from a theater during Friday the 13th - Part 2, though...
gm