Boxing

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Boxing

Postby Dixon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 am

The history of the sport is fascinating. Tiger Flowers...gotta love it! Look at all the movies about boxing. One of my prized possesions...BOXING Register....it's all there. George "Little Chocolate" Dixon....over 800 fights? Sometimes fighting twice a day. Tom Molineaux the plantation fighter who was given his freedom (Molineaux the name of his former owner) and would end up in England fighting for the world title. Sugar Ray vs Jake LaMotta....whoa! Rocky, Joe Louis, Cassius Clay and on and on. Remember the battles among...Hagler. Leonard, Hearns and Duran?

What happened?

I don't even know who the Heavyweight Champion is right now. I saw Liston vs Patterson at a local theater, now I can't even talk boxing. Mayweather is fighting who? Is it just me?
Dixon

Re: Boxing

Postby Marlow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:39 am

I dismissed Boxing on the day that Buster Douglass beat Mike Tyson.

In it, as in MMA/UFC specifically, but also football/rugby by design, players are trying to concuss each other. As we NOW now, the life-long effects of multiple concussions are dire. At least football is TRYING to get rid of the menace.
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:55 am

Marlow wrote:I dismissed Boxing on the day that Buster Douglass beat Mike Tyson.

In it, as in MMA/UFC specifically, but also football/rugby by design, players are trying to concuss each other. As we NOW now, the life-long effects of multiple concussions are dire. At least football is TRYING to get rid of the menace.

I don't know if you can be in any physical sport if you are real concerned over your health. Not unlike a cowboy in a rodeo.

Every single minute of everyday somebody is lighting up a cigarette well aware of the dangers.

You wanna be a fighter/footballer you can't be all worried over your physical well being, if you are then do something else.

Leon Spinks beating Ali and Douglas over Iron Mike gotta be the biggest upsets I've seen with the big guys.
Dixon

Postby Pego » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 am

Dixon wrote:The history of the sport is fascinating. Tiger Flowers...gotta love it! Look at all the movies about boxing. One of my prized possesions...BOXING Register....it's all there. George "Little Chocolate" Dixon....over 800 fights? Sometimes fighting twice a day. Tom Molineaux the plantation fighter who was given his freedom (Molineaux the name of his former owner) and would end up in England fighting for the world title. Sugar Ray vs Jake LaMotta....whoa! Rocky, Joe Louis, Cassius Clay and on and on. Remember the battles among...Hagler. Leonard, Hearns and Duran?

What happened?

I don't even know who the Heavyweight Champion is right now. I saw Liston vs Patterson at a local theater, now I can't even talk boxing. Mayweather is fighting who? Is it just me?

I lost interest in pro boxing about 20 years ago, I cannot even think of a reason why. Now I would only watch boxing at the Olympics, albeit even that sporadically.
Pego

Postby user4 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 am

Dixon wrote:
Marlow wrote:I dismissed Boxing on the day that Buster Douglass beat Mike Tyson. .

Leon Spinks beating Ali and Douglas over Iron Mike gotta be the biggest upsets I've seen with the big guys.

Buster Douglas over Iron Mike is definitely in my top 40 !!! No man could have beaten Buster, with the memory of his mother burning in his heart, that night.
user4