The Twerk Heard Around the World...

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

The Twerk Heard Around the World...

Postby JRM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

After Miley Cyrus' performance at the VMAs, "twerking" has become a household verb (if it's not in your household, look it up!). Soon thereafter, this video appeared on YouTube of a girl making a 'twerking' video for her boyfriend, with a disastrous result (it's short: you must watch these links in order):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CddMD3QqTFs

The video went viral, and hundreds of news outlets picked up on it.

The truth is much easier to swallow, however. Hats off to Mr. Kimmel for this one!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mbvd/the-truth- ... -fail-ever
JRM

Re: The Twerk Heard Around the World...

Postby Marlow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:01 am

When I was watching her on the VMAs (a great program to DVR and watch later so you can zoom through the interminable chatter), at first I was very embarrassed for her dad. She behaved like a trailer park whore, but then I gave it a moment and realized she was merely responding to the time and place (the most outrageous person 'wins' - it used to be Madonna writhing on the floor 'like a virgin' (sic)). Me being repulsed represented a win for her and her like, so my current reaction is extreme ennui. BTW, 'twerking' is as old as a unimaginatively done strip-tease. Nothing to see here, move on.
Marlow

Postby mcgato » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:23 am

Marlow missing the point entirely, per usual.
mcgato

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:27 am

I won't comment on the "as usual" part, but obviously he did miss the point. And equally obviously, these videos hadn't reached the rock he lives under. That's ok--they hadn't reached the one I live under either.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:18 am

mcgato wrote:Marlow missing the point entirely, per usual.

tandfman wrote:I won't comment on the "as usual" part, but obviously he did miss the point.

I beg your pardon, but of course I DID get the point - I had already seen both videos. You had made the point that Jimmy Kimmel was riding the stern-waves Miley had created and poking fun at the twerk meme. MY POINT was that I was looking at the broader picture of the context that Kimmel's video made. Or did you miss my point? Twerk is the fad du jour, and its cultural context is interesting.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:18 am

Marlow wrote:
mcgato wrote:Marlow missing the point entirely, per usual.

tandfman wrote:I won't comment on the "as usual" part, but obviously he did miss the point.

I beg your pardon, but of course I DID get the point - I had already seen both videos. You had made the point that Jimmy Kimmel was riding the stern-waves Miley had created and poking fun at the twerk meme. MY POINT was that I was looking at the broader picture of the context that Kimmel's video made. Or did you miss my point? Twerk is the fad du jour, and its cultural context is interesting.

You totally fooled us by saying
When I was watching her on the VMAs

Given that the post to which you were responding focused entirely on the subject of the Kimmel video, I think it was reasonable for mcgato and me to assume that the antecedent of "her" was the girl in that video, not Miley Cyrus.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:21 am

tandfman wrote:it was reasonable for mcgato and me to assume that the antecedent of "her" was the girl in that video, not Miley Cyrus.

Oh, you're right . . . I sometimes have the problem of skipping ahead several paragraphs in my point development and losing my kids in class too. Sorry.
Marlow

Postby kuha » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:15 pm

In Marlow's defense, I rely him for all my twerking information. In my book, he is truly Captain Twerk.

:shock:
kuha

Postby user4 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:45 am

I saw a 10 second clip of the Cyrus video ...like watching a cartoon, never even dawned on me that it was meant to arouse. If proving that a scantily clad women making provocative gestures (or is it jesters) can lead to a stone cold response was her goal then my hat is off to her, she succeeded.
Last edited by user4 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
user4

Postby beebee » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:07 am

What Ms. Cyrus doesn't realize is that not everyone is sexy.

Famous? Yes.
Sexy? No.
beebee

Postby Marlow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:24 am

kuha wrote:In Marlow's defense, I rely him for all my twerking information. In my book, he is truly Captain Twerk.
:shock:

You misspelled Twerp, you doofus! :D
Marlow