I get the impression....

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: I get the impression....

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:48 pm

jhc68 wrote:
Dixon said: Track does just fine and always has and always will regardless of who is in the NFL.

I disagree.
Sift through the threads on this board and you'll find lots of posters bemoaning the sorry state of track in general, and especially in these United States. Many lifelong fans believe that track ain't doing so fine at the moment.
Also, lots of people postulating that many of the best athletes in America have been detoured before they really got started down the track path into the NFL and NBA.

Me, every time I see Bolt run I think that if he had grown up in this country he would have been a football wide-out whose college coach discouraged time away from spring practice with the track team and who left college after 3 years to enter the NFL draft and sign for a boatload of money. No WRs, no Olympic Golds. The question is, how many athletes are currently in the NFL or NBA fit this same profile?

Didn't the USA just run a new WR in the female 4x1 and a new American record in the mens 4x1? Look at how many stud NCAA sprinters we have right now compared to once upon a time. But I'm not talking about just here in America.

I got into track in the late 50's. I don't see anything wrong with it today other than the greed at the pro level. High school and college track is doing what it always does. Track was never meant to be on a par with football, basketball and baseball.
Dixon

Postby Wang Lung » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 pm

I lost interest in 1980 when forearms were outlawed.
Wang Lung

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Wang Lung wrote:I lost interest in 1980 when forearms were outlawed.

It is growing up with it and knowing about John Henry Johnson who had a wicked forearm shiver and Dick "Night Train" Lane another monster, then here comes Jack Tatum and Dick Butkus. Having watched the old AFL in 1960, the first Cowboys teams in 1960 and being able to tie it all together, even going back to 1920 from reserching things. All the great players, great teams, great moments. If you're up on all that it makes the sport more interesting.
Dixon

Postby jhc68 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Dixon writes:
Track was never meant to be on a par with football, basketball and baseball.

As my HS coach was wont to say, "Track is the only real sport, all the rest are only games."
jhc68

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 pm

jhc68 wrote:Dixon writes:
Track was never meant to be on a par with football, basketball and baseball.

As my HS coach was wont to say, "Track is the only real sport, all the rest are only games."

That might be true but if you watch ESPN, very little track, if you read SI very little track. Try and go to work and talk Charles Silmon with your co workers....good luck! But it's always been that way.
Dixon

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:31 am

Dixon wrote: I got into track in the late 50's. I don't see anything wrong with it today other than the greed at the pro level.

Do you think that the desire of the best athletes in the world to be compensated for their performances is greed? I don't.
tandfman

Postby Dixon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:30 am

tandfman wrote:
Dixon wrote: I got into track in the late 50's. I don't see anything wrong with it today other than the greed at the pro level.

Do you think that the desire of the best athletes in the world to be compensated for their performances is greed? I don't.

I think some make way too much.
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby KDFINE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 am

I'm mostly indifferent to Pro Football. I loved it as a kid. The answer to your question might partially be found in a post a few months back. I don't recall which forum that it was on but one insightful poster observed that a particular allure of Track and Field comes from its world view and draws fans to this international aspect. I've rooted for any number of athletes who weren't from the United States just because I found something in them that I admired. By contrast, pro football just might be the most xenophobic and consequently over-hyped athletic endeavor out there.
KDFINE

Postby Dixon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 am

KDFINE wrote:I'm mostly indifferent to Pro Football. I loved it as a kid. The answer to your question might partially be found in a post a few months back. I don't recall which forum that it was on but one insightful poster observed that a particular allure of Track and Field comes from its world view and draws fans to this international aspect. I've rooted for any number of athletes who weren't from the United States just because I found something in them that I admired. By contrast, pro football just might be the most xenophobic and consequently over-hyped athletic endeavor out there.

I played in the city flag football league for 20 years. One of those seasons we had former Pittsburg Steeler Lupe Sanchez (led the AFC in punt returns once) out there,, he had went to my HS Mt.Whitney in Visalia he was good friends with our coach/player. They had played on that Valley Championship team together. Raider Don Mosebar and Bronco Michael Young also on that team.

Anyway...

This was a big tournament in Hanford, teams from all over the state were there. Lupe ended up winning the MVP as we came in second. It was real obvious he was on a whole other level than anyone else out there. Everytime he got the ball he was either gone or almost gone.

The thing about pro football is those guys are simply special. They were the studs/stars as little kids, then in junior high, then high school. Stars in college then....off to the NFL.

No less than 20 Olympians have been on NFL rosters.
Dixon

Postby jhc68 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Seems pretty clear that Dixon is a guy who loves football and has an interest in track.
Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)
It's all good, no mystery.
jhc68

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 pm

jhc68 wrote:Dixon writes:

Damned good quote!
Bob Duncan

Postby Dixon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am

jhc68 wrote:Seems pretty clear that Dixon is a guy who loves football and has an interest in track.
Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)

I'm into both then there's that track/football combo.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:46 am

jhc68 wrote:Seems pretty clear that Dixon is a guy who loves football and has an interest in track.

Actually, I think Dixon does love the sprints, hurdles and relays portion of men's track, but only has a passing interest the distance portion of track, field events as well as women's track and field. Is that a fairly accurate assessment Dixon?
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:33 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:

Actually, I think Dixon does love the sprints, hurdles and relays portion of men's track, but only has a passing interest the distance portion of track, field events as well as women's track and field. Is that a fairly accurate assessment Dixon?

Kneedeep into the...

sprints/relays
hurdles
long jump

So so interest in everything else.

I can talk women sprinting to some degree, just not as deep into it as the mens. Know who I should know.

I can list the fantasy ladies 4x1 for the schools :D
Dixon

Postby user4 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 am

Giovanni Bernard had a great night last night.
user4

Postby Dixon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:02 pm

user4 wrote:Giovanni Bernard had a great night last night.

I like the way they use him and the law firm. I would however get him out in space a little more, he has that ..make um miss...thing going on.

I saw him play in high school, there was no doubt where he was heading.
Dixon

Postby bambam » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:01 pm

jhc68 wrote:Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)

Then there are those of us who love track & field, and can't stand football. Would rather watch Roman gladiatorial contests - oh wait, not much difference really.
bambam

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:44 pm

bambam wrote:
jhc68 wrote:Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)

Then there are those of us who love track & field, and can't stand football. Would rather watch Roman gladiatorial contests - oh wait, not much difference really.

So tell me bambam how many Olympic sprinters, sub 14.00 hurdlers, over 26 foot long jumpers competed in those Roman gladiatorial contests? How many 225 pounders with sub 4.40 jets?
Dixon

Postby jhc68 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:59 pm

bambam wrote:

Then Dixon replied:
So tell me bambam how many Olympic sprinters, sub 14.00 hurdlers, over 26 foot long jumpers competed in those Roman gladiatorial contests? How many 225 pounders with sub 4.40 jets?

Now I nominate Dixon's reply in this exchange for two TAFNYs... one for greatest missing the point of the year and a second for excellence in changing the topic to something completely unrelated !
jhc68

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:04 pm

jhc68 wrote:bambam wrote:

Then Dixon replied:

Now I nominate Dixon's reply in this exchange for two TAFNYs... one for greatest missing the point of the year and a second for excellence in changing the topic to something completely unrelated !

Didn't bambam say...oh wait, not much difference really...? I didn't show the big differences? The point being the NFL is full of athletes, that can't be said about those gladiatorial contests.
Dixon

Postby lonewolf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Just curious. Humans have increased significantly in average height and weight in just the last 200 years. The bunks in the Mayflower were barely 5 ' long. Do we know the average size of humans or how big the gladiators were 2000 years ago?
lonewolf

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 pm

lonewolf wrote:Just curious. Humans have increased significantly in average height and weight in just the last 200 years. The bunks in the Mayflower were barely 5 ' long. Do we know the average size of humans or how big the gladiators were 2000 years ago?

I'd guess a guy 6-6 would be considered a giant back then.

Hmmm...the Watusi?
Dixon

Postby cullman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 pm

bambam wrote:

Woody Strode is the GOAT when it comes the the T&F/Football/Gladiator (Spartacus) combo. Coulda been a heckuva decathlete.
cullman

Postby user4 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 am

lonewolf wrote:Just curious. Humans have increased significantly in average height and weight in just the last 200 years. The bunks in the Mayflower were barely 5 ' long. Do we know the average size of humans or how big the gladiators were 2000 years ago?

not sure that is true, fossils of cro magnon man show him to be about 6' in height and of a remarkable musculature . Great variations even on a single continent such as Europe.

Boat bunks are probably not a good indication of actual height much like a submarine bunk is not a good indication of human sizes today. Children of the Mayflower are no different than the rest of us. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abe Lincoln.. all over 6'2".
user4

Next