I get the impression....

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: I get the impression....

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 pm

jhc68 wrote:Dixon writes:
As my HS coach was wont to say, "Track is the only real sport, all the rest are only games."

Damned good quote!
Bob Duncan

Postby Dixon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am

jhc68 wrote:Seems pretty clear that Dixon is a guy who loves football and has an interest in track.
Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)
It's all good, no mystery.

I'm into both then there's that track/football combo.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:46 am

jhc68 wrote:Seems pretty clear that Dixon is a guy who loves football and has an interest in track.
Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)

Actually, I think Dixon does love the sprints, hurdles and relays portion of men's track, but only has a passing interest the distance portion of track, field events as well as women's track and field. Is that a fairly accurate assessment Dixon?
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:33 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:

Actually, I think Dixon does love the sprints, hurdles and relays portion of men's track, but only has a passing interest the distance portion of track, field events as well as women's track and field. Is that a fairly accurate assessment Dixon?

Kneedeep into the...

sprints/relays
hurdles
long jump

So so interest in everything else.

I can talk women sprinting to some degree, just not as deep into it as the mens. Know who I should know.

I can list the fantasy ladies 4x1 for the schools :D
Dixon

Postby user4 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 am

Giovanni Bernard had a great night last night.
user4

Postby Dixon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:02 pm

user4 wrote:Giovanni Bernard had a great night last night.

I like the way they use him and the law firm. I would however get him out in space a little more, he has that ..make um miss...thing going on.

I saw him play in high school, there was no doubt where he was heading.
Dixon

Postby bambam » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:01 pm

jhc68 wrote:Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)

Then there are those of us who love track & field, and can't stand football. Would rather watch Roman gladiatorial contests - oh wait, not much difference really.
bambam

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:44 pm

bambam wrote:
jhc68 wrote:Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)

Then there are those of us who love track & field, and can't stand football. Would rather watch Roman gladiatorial contests - oh wait, not much difference really.

So tell me bambam how many Olympic sprinters, sub 14.00 hurdlers, over 26 foot long jumpers competed in those Roman gladiatorial contests? How many 225 pounders with sub 4.40 jets?
Dixon

Postby jhc68 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:59 pm

bambam wrote:

Then Dixon replied:
So tell me bambam how many Olympic sprinters, sub 14.00 hurdlers, over 26 foot long jumpers competed in those Roman gladiatorial contests? How many 225 pounders with sub 4.40 jets?

Now I nominate Dixon's reply in this exchange for two TAFNYs... one for greatest missing the point of the year and a second for excellence in changing the topic to something completely unrelated !
jhc68

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:04 pm

jhc68 wrote:bambam wrote:

Then Dixon replied:

Now I nominate Dixon's reply in this exchange for two TAFNYs... one for greatest missing the point of the year and a second for excellence in changing the topic to something completely unrelated !

Didn't bambam say...oh wait, not much difference really...? I didn't show the big differences? The point being the NFL is full of athletes, that can't be said about those gladiatorial contests.
Dixon

Postby lonewolf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Just curious. Humans have increased significantly in average height and weight in just the last 200 years. The bunks in the Mayflower were barely 5 ' long. Do we know the average size of humans or how big the gladiators were 2000 years ago?
lonewolf

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 pm

lonewolf wrote:Just curious. Humans have increased significantly in average height and weight in just the last 200 years. The bunks in the Mayflower were barely 5 ' long. Do we know the average size of humans or how big the gladiators were 2000 years ago?

I'd guess a guy 6-6 would be considered a giant back then.

Hmmm...the Watusi?
Dixon

Postby cullman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 pm

bambam wrote:

Woody Strode is the GOAT when it comes the the T&F/Football/Gladiator (Spartacus) combo. Coulda been a heckuva decathlete.
cullman

Postby user4 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 am

lonewolf wrote:Just curious. Humans have increased significantly in average height and weight in just the last 200 years. The bunks in the Mayflower were barely 5 ' long. Do we know the average size of humans or how big the gladiators were 2000 years ago?

not sure that is true, fossils of cro magnon man show him to be about 6' in height and of a remarkable musculature . Great variations even on a single continent such as Europe.

Boat bunks are probably not a good indication of actual height much like a submarine bunk is not a good indication of human sizes today. Children of the Mayflower are no different than the rest of us. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abe Lincoln.. all over 6'2".
user4

Previous