I get the impression....

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

I get the impression....

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:31 am

....the NFL isn't too popular here, why is that? Tons of tracksters have played in the league.
Dixon

Re: I get the impression....

Postby tandfman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:25 pm

I don't follow the NFL at all. If I did, I'm sure I'd be able to find lots of message boards where fellow fans exchange views, and I'd pick the right one for me.
tandfman

Postby user4 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:06 pm

tandfman wrote:I don't follow the NFL at all. If I did, I'm sure I'd be able to find lots of message boards where fellow fans exchange views, and I'd pick the right one for me.

the NFL is getting more than enough attention and money ... Also, just my own opinion, I suspect that if track and field guys only had to pass the NFL drug tests we would be seeing 6.5m pole vaults and 9m long jumps. But no, Im not a bitter track fan.
user4

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 pm

tandfman wrote:I don't follow the NFL at all. If I did, I'm sure I'd be able to find lots of message boards where fellow fans exchange views, and I'd pick the right one for me.

I just find it strange that a sport with so many track athletes in it gets no play on a track site.
Dixon

Postby jhc68 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Maybe the answer is in your question. The NFL is the reason why all these guys are FORMER track athletes.
Back in the day it used to be fun to see Olympians and WR-holders go on to the NFL (Hayes, Carr, Earl McCullouch, and others.) after they had done it all on the track.
But somewhere in the era of Carter and Skeets, WR-holders who had a world of potential still ahead of them were sucked into the money pit of the NFL.
Now, possible WR-holders never even step on the track after high school and when ya watch NFL games it is depressing to think about the woulda, coulda, shoulda beens running around getting concussions and ACL tears.
That, and the fact that most of those six month's worth of NFL games are meaningless and stupefyingly tedious.
jhc68

Postby Dixon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

jhc68 wrote:Maybe the answer is in your question. The NFL is the reason why all these guys are FORMER track athletes.
Back in the day it used to be fun to see Olympians and WR-holders go on to the NFL (Hayes, Carr, Earl McCullouch, and others.) after they had done it all on the track.
But somewhere in the era of Carter and Skeets, WR-holders who had a world of potential still ahead of them were sucked into the money pit of the NFL.
Now, possible WR-holders never even step on the track after high school and when ya watch NFL games it is depressing to think about the woulda, coulda, shoulda beens running around getting concussions and ACL tears.
That, and the fact that most of those six month's worth of NFL games are meaningless and stupefyingly tedious.

If ya love both sports the track to football thing is very cool. I have never looked at it from a....should have stayed in track...perspective. Track does just fine and always has and always will regardless of who is in the NFL. I enjoy watching track speed on a football field.
Dixon

Postby gh » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:18 am

the largest (by far) demographic of participants here is former middle-distance/distance runners, with no particular hangup about sprinters or musclemen.
gh

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 am

I used to follow the NFL closely and still keep general tabs on it (read the morning paper and SI), but it has lost its allure to me because teams (relatively speaking) have little loyalty to their players and vice versa. College football now sates my jonesing for some smashmouthing.
(Full disclosure: the fact that the Jags stink and Stanford is good may have had something to do with my attitude)
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:16 am

gh wrote:the largest (by far) demographic of participants here is former middle-distance/distance runners, with no particular hangup about sprinters or musclemen.

You see it as a hangup over sprinters and musclemen? Do distance runners/midde distance runners have a hang up over little runners?
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 am

Marlow wrote:I used to follow the NFL closely and still keep general tabs on it (read the morning paper and SI), but it has lost its allure to me because teams (relatively speaking) have little loyalty to their players and vice versa. College football now sates my jonesing for some smashmouthing.
(Full disclosure: the fact that the Jags stink and Stanford is good may have had something to do with my attitude)

How about just the action on the field?
Last edited by Dixon on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 am

Dixon wrote:About just the action on the field?

All the action in the world has no bearing unless you are emotionally invested in who's doing the action. Pro Lacrosse has TONS of action. Who cares about the MLL?
Marlow

Postby gh » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:37 am

Dixon wrote:
gh wrote:the largest (by far) demographic of participants here is former middle-distance/distance runners, with no particular hangup about sprinters or musclemen.

You see it as a hangup over sprinters and musclemen? Do distance runners/midde distance runners have a hang up over little runners?

What I'm saying is that you were positing that there was an indelible link between track and football. It's true that there is for a limited number of people, and the demographics of this board are such that most obviously don't share that link.

(I'm also rather proud that this forum, rather than filling up with fanboy chat, frequently moves on into a higher plane, where people with real professional specialties actually educate us as well as entertain us)
gh

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:56 am

Marlow wrote:

All the action in the world has no bearing unless you are emotionally invested in who's doing the action. Pro Lacrosse has TONS of action. Who cares about the MLL?

I bet you have somebody in your family who played football how many can say that about Lacrosse?
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 am

gh wrote:
Dixon wrote:

What I'm saying is that you were positing that there was an indelible link between track and football. It's true that there is for a limited number of people, and the demographics of this board are such that most obviously don't share that link.

(I'm also rather proud that this forum, rather than filling up with fanboy chat, frequently moves on into a higher plane, where people with real professional specialties actually educate us as well as entertain us)

To be honest with you I can pretty much break it all down when it comes to tracksters in pro football, by pro team and school. So it's more about interests as opposed to education and entertainment.

I'm far more interested in just who were those 26ft and better long jumpers in the NFL than anything having to do with distance/middle distance running, but that's just me.
Last edited by Dixon on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby user4 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 am

Dixon wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I bet you have somebody in your family who played football how many can say that about Lacrosse?

There is such a thing as Pro Lacrosse ?... what a waste of potential PV talent !
user4

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am

I guess having played football/sprinter does come into play here.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 am

I watch both college football the NFL, but I prefer the college game. You just can't beat the unbridled enthusiasm, pageantry and tradition of college football. Rah, Rah, Sis Boom Bah! I think you'll also find that there's more interest in college basketball than the NBA on this board for similar reasons.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:46 am

Dixon wrote:I bet you have somebody in your family who played football how many can say that about Lacrosse?

There is a current NFL player who is a member of family and who many pundits have referred to a future hall of famer, but I still prefer the college game.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:47 am

Dixon wrote:I guess having played football/sprinter does come into play here.

I enjoy many sports, but the only one that really attracts me without "having my horse in the race" is T&F. In football, b-ball, soccer, hockey...I have to root for a team in order to be truly engaged.
Pego

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:50 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I watch both college football the NFL, but I prefer the college game. You just can't beat the unbridled enthusiasm, pageantry and tradition of college football. Rah, Rah, Sis Boom Bah! I think you'll also find that there's more interest in college basketball than the NBA on this board for similar reasons.

I'm also more into the college game because of how huge every game is. In the NFL a 9-7 record might get you in the playoffs. As we know you gotta win them all in the NCAA. That makes things very interesting.

I do enjoy the history of the NFL more. College football has nothing that compares to...The Fearsome Foursome..."The Mad Bomber"..."Night Train" Lane...Cookie Gilchrist...etc etc.
Dixon

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:55 am

Dixon wrote:I bet you have somebody in your family who played football how many can say that about Lacrosse?

Zero football players. Three generations who have played lacrosse when young.

user4 wrote:There is such a thing as Pro Lacrosse ?... what a waste of potential PV talent !

You lost me there. How does a sport where players go around whacking each other with sticks correlate to PVing? Because both sports verge on the insane?
Last edited by Marlow on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:08 am

I come from a similar background as you. I was a running back who was initially interested in track because of the sprints and relays (forget field), but over time, I developed an appreciation of middle distance and distance races. Now I'm to the point where the Olympic women's 5000 matters to me as much as the men's 100. Part of that probably has to do with the fact that as I got older I began to participate in local road races which enabled me to fully appreciate how fast world-class distance runners are.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:27 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

I come from a similar background as you. I was a running back who was initially interested in track because of the sprints and relays (forget field), but over time, I developed an appreciation of middle distance and distance races. Now I'm to the point where the Olympic women's 5000 matters to me as much as the men's 100. Part of that probably has to do with the fact that as I got older I began to participate in local road races which enabled me to fully appreciate how fast world-class distance runners are.

I was a running back/defensive back/kick returner who ran the 100/4x1. More quick/elusive than fast. Far better in football than track, just a 10.8yards guy.

After high school/Navy I played city flag football for 20 years. Played in a few of those HS alumni games also. The last one I was pooped out during warm ups...hahaha!!!

There is just something about speed/football that has me hooked. Yes I've got it all down when it comes to tracksters who played football, I find it very interesting. I never warmed up to distance running, it's just not as interesting...in my opinion.
Dixon

Postby lonewolf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Rural schools in the South dismissed for cotton harvest in the fall so my school did not play football. I played the three sports available: baseball, basketball and track. I was best at track/field and continued competing into my 70s until my titanium knee said whoa.
I still watch and enjoy almost any t&f competition at any level but, while I admire the athleticism, If I do not have some emotional involvment in a team or individual in other sports, I just don't much care.
Oh, I watch the wind down to the basketball Final Four, baseball World Series and football Super Bowl. Other than that, I see what is on Discovery/History/Modern Marvels/How it is Made......
lonewolf

Postby gh » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Not remotely. My HS didn't even have a football team and I'm a huge NFL fan (I'm just motivated to discuss it here, where people's interests generally lie elsewhere).

And if playing football had anything to do wity it, 44% (!) of NFL fans wouldn't be women.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentar ... se-fashion
gh

Postby gm » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 pm

When I was younger I had a huge connection to football and loved it. Now? No care at all. Couldn't possibly care less about it at the professional or even really the collegiate level. It just isn't of any interest.

If you want to talk about Manchester United though... :lol:
gm

Postby lonewolf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Soccer had not been invented when I was a lad. I had zero interest in it until grandson Charley Lonewolf, now 12, started playing a age 5/6. I still don't give a hoot about soccer, aside from his games, but may start paying more attention since he announced he was skipping college to go directly to playing for Arsenal.
His mother has not approved his plan. :)
lonewolf

Postby jhc68 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Dixon said: Track does just fine and always has and always will regardless of who is in the NFL.

I disagree.
Sift through the threads on this board and you'll find lots of posters bemoaning the sorry state of track in general, and especially in these United States. Many lifelong fans believe that track ain't doing so fine at the moment.
Also, lots of people postulating that many of the best athletes in America have been detoured before they really got started down the track path into the NFL and NBA.

Me, every time I see Bolt run I think that if he had grown up in this country he would have been a football wide-out whose college coach discouraged time away from spring practice with the track team and who left college after 3 years to enter the NFL draft and sign for a boatload of money. No WRs, no Olympic Golds. The question is, how many athletes are currently in the NFL or NBA fit this same profile?
jhc68

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 pm

lonewolf wrote:Rural schools in the South dismissed for cotton harvest in the fall so my school did not play football. I played the three sports available: baseball, basketball and track. I was best at track/field and continued competing into my 70s until my titanium knee said whoa.
I still watch and enjoy almost any t&f competition at any level but, while I admire the athleticism, If I do not have some emotional involvment in a team or individual in other sports, I just don't much care.
Oh, I watch the wind down to the basketball Final Four, baseball World Series and football Super Bowl. Other than that, I see what is on Discovery/History/Modern Marvels/How it is Made......

I do believe it's somehing you get into as a kid.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:37 pm

gh wrote:

Not remotely. My HS didn't even have a football team and I'm a huge NFL fan (I'm just motivated to discuss it here, where people's interests generally lie elsewhere).

And if playing football had anything to do wity it, 44% (!) of NFL fans wouldn't be women.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentar ... se-fashion

I was talking about myself.

Was playing street ball as far back as I can remember. Then there I sat totally amazed watching TV as this big guy with the Cleveland Browns ran over and around everyone, I thought...wow! Made a huge impression on me.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:48 pm

jhc68 wrote:
Dixon said: Track does just fine and always has and always will regardless of who is in the NFL.

I disagree.
Sift through the threads on this board and you'll find lots of posters bemoaning the sorry state of track in general, and especially in these United States. Many lifelong fans believe that track ain't doing so fine at the moment.
Also, lots of people postulating that many of the best athletes in America have been detoured before they really got started down the track path into the NFL and NBA.

Me, every time I see Bolt run I think that if he had grown up in this country he would have been a football wide-out whose college coach discouraged time away from spring practice with the track team and who left college after 3 years to enter the NFL draft and sign for a boatload of money. No WRs, no Olympic Golds. The question is, how many athletes are currently in the NFL or NBA fit this same profile?

Didn't the USA just run a new WR in the female 4x1 and a new American record in the mens 4x1? Look at how many stud NCAA sprinters we have right now compared to once upon a time. But I'm not talking about just here in America.

I got into track in the late 50's. I don't see anything wrong with it today other than the greed at the pro level. High school and college track is doing what it always does. Track was never meant to be on a par with football, basketball and baseball.
Dixon

Postby Wang Lung » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 pm

I lost interest in 1980 when forearms were outlawed.
Wang Lung

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Wang Lung wrote:I lost interest in 1980 when forearms were outlawed.

It is growing up with it and knowing about John Henry Johnson who had a wicked forearm shiver and Dick "Night Train" Lane another monster, then here comes Jack Tatum and Dick Butkus. Having watched the old AFL in 1960, the first Cowboys teams in 1960 and being able to tie it all together, even going back to 1920 from reserching things. All the great players, great teams, great moments. If you're up on all that it makes the sport more interesting.
Dixon

Postby jhc68 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Dixon writes:
Track was never meant to be on a par with football, basketball and baseball.

As my HS coach was wont to say, "Track is the only real sport, all the rest are only games."
jhc68

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 pm

jhc68 wrote:Dixon writes:
Track was never meant to be on a par with football, basketball and baseball.

As my HS coach was wont to say, "Track is the only real sport, all the rest are only games."

That might be true but if you watch ESPN, very little track, if you read SI very little track. Try and go to work and talk Charles Silmon with your co workers....good luck! But it's always been that way.
Dixon

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:31 am

Dixon wrote: I got into track in the late 50's. I don't see anything wrong with it today other than the greed at the pro level.

Do you think that the desire of the best athletes in the world to be compensated for their performances is greed? I don't.
tandfman

Postby Dixon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:30 am

tandfman wrote:
Dixon wrote: I got into track in the late 50's. I don't see anything wrong with it today other than the greed at the pro level.

Do you think that the desire of the best athletes in the world to be compensated for their performances is greed? I don't.

I think some make way too much.
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby KDFINE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 am

I'm mostly indifferent to Pro Football. I loved it as a kid. The answer to your question might partially be found in a post a few months back. I don't recall which forum that it was on but one insightful poster observed that a particular allure of Track and Field comes from its world view and draws fans to this international aspect. I've rooted for any number of athletes who weren't from the United States just because I found something in them that I admired. By contrast, pro football just might be the most xenophobic and consequently over-hyped athletic endeavor out there.
KDFINE

Postby Dixon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 am

KDFINE wrote:I'm mostly indifferent to Pro Football. I loved it as a kid. The answer to your question might partially be found in a post a few months back. I don't recall which forum that it was on but one insightful poster observed that a particular allure of Track and Field comes from its world view and draws fans to this international aspect. I've rooted for any number of athletes who weren't from the United States just because I found something in them that I admired. By contrast, pro football just might be the most xenophobic and consequently over-hyped athletic endeavor out there.

I played in the city flag football league for 20 years. One of those seasons we had former Pittsburg Steeler Lupe Sanchez (led the AFC in punt returns once) out there,, he had went to my HS Mt.Whitney in Visalia he was good friends with our coach/player. They had played on that Valley Championship team together. Raider Don Mosebar and Bronco Michael Young also on that team.

Anyway...

This was a big tournament in Hanford, teams from all over the state were there. Lupe ended up winning the MVP as we came in second. It was real obvious he was on a whole other level than anyone else out there. Everytime he got the ball he was either gone or almost gone.

The thing about pro football is those guys are simply special. They were the studs/stars as little kids, then in junior high, then high school. Stars in college then....off to the NFL.

No less than 20 Olympians have been on NFL rosters.
Dixon

Postby jhc68 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Seems pretty clear that Dixon is a guy who loves football and has an interest in track.
Lots of others here love track and have an interest in football (or sometimes, not.)
It's all good, no mystery.
jhc68

Next