2013 College Football

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 2013 College Football

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:33 am

user4 wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:As we all know this ..taunting/safety...thing is getting ridiculous. This is football and it's going to be about things other than just scoring points, something called.....emotion. They are trying to take that away and it cannot be done.

We agree! It's a game, son, I say it's a GAME! It's supposed to be fun! Sack dances, TD celebrations, so what? As long it's not taunting (which becomes obvious!), let 'em play!

I agree, the taunting can get out of control. I dont think the dance into the endzone is a taunt. But calling names and making slanderous comments about your opponent is not in sports and it should lead to immediate ejection.

It;s a war out there and we are going to have strong lingo and taunting. As long as the game is played by violent people it will be violent. There has never been a football game played where somebody didn't taunt/degrade another player. You cannot stop that, it's part of the deal and we all know that going in.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:49 am

user4 wrote:1) I seriously seriously doubt Saban was ever a pot smoking hippie. Im going to guess he was just the opposite; high expectations and no wasted time. Character traits transcend generations . It really is that simple.

Our last three Presidents, the current Secretary of State and two of the members of the U.S. Supreme Court all smoked dope and/or snorted coke but it didn't prevent them from being high achievers. Also, did you miss the part of my post where I said "or at least see"? Marlow says that he didn't "do" when he was in college, but I'm quite sure he "saw".

user4 wrote:Penn State Nittany Lions went into that championship game as favorites, but came out of it mauled by the Bear!

Do you really consider a 14-7 win to be a mauling? :?
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:55 am

I gotta be honest, I would never expect anyone really into the college game to debate/question Bear Bryant. I assumed it was right there with....Usian Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever. Not...well if Bolt ran on dirt tracks and didn't have the coaching and............... :o
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:01 am

jazzcyclist wrote:....
user4 wrote:Penn State Nittany Lions went into that championship game as favorites, but came out of it mauled by the Bear!

Do you really consider a 14-7 win to be a mauling? :?

when you go in as Bear underdogs against an undefeated # 1 ranked PSU team and in the last drive of the game they decide that they are going to show you smash mouth football on the 1 foot line and you eat them alive !! .. That sir is a Bear mauling and it is also my favorite Joe Pa moment !
Last edited by user4 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user4

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
user4 wrote:1) I seriously seriously doubt Saban was ever a pot smoking hippie. Im going to guess he was just the opposite; high expectations and no wasted time. Character traits transcend generations . It really is that simple.

Our last three Presidents, the current Secretary of State and two of the members of the U.S. Supreme Court all smoked dope and/or snorted coke but it didn't prevent them from being high achievers. .

Thank you , I rest my case.
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:11 am

Dixon wrote:I gotta be honest, I would never expect anyone really into the college game to debate/question Bear Bryant. I assumed it was right there with....Usian Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever. Not...well if Bolt ran on dirt tracks and didn't have the coaching and............... :o

I never considered the question of who was the greatest college football coach a cut and dry issue, like the greatest men's quartermiler or men's pole vaulter. To me it's similar to the question of who's the greatest men's high hurdler or men's middle distance runner, meaning that you can't pin it down to one person, rather there are several names that need to be included in the discussion.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:13 am

user4 wrote:Thank you , I rest my case.

I think you need to make your case before you rest it.
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 am

Dixon wrote:I gotta be honest, I would never expect anyone really into the college game to debate/question Bear Bryant. I assumed it was right there with....Usian Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever. Not...well if Bolt ran on dirt tracks and didn't have the coaching and............... :o

I basic training, one of my closest friends played for Bryant --- and he absolutely hated him. He had absolutely nothing good to say about him. Said that he cared not a whit for anyone other than the top stars, the rest were pure fodder in his mind. He would play them injured if there was anything in it for him and did not care for the well-being of the players at all.
26mi235

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRx6ZLr3BdQ

Dixon take a look at that sequence of 3 plays, they represent a pure distillation of The Bear. Three goal line stands where each player is called upon, on the greatest stage of D1 football to rip his own heart out of his chest for the greater good .. it was war....

When the chips were down and everything was on the line, the Alabama players, knowing that they had gone through everything with the Bear, having been trained in a crucible of unimaginable stress, could execute perfectly and at peak output on a national stage. Notice the domination of the line of scrimmage. It must have been an honor to be even a 3rd string back up on that team.

Whenever I think of Joe Pa I try to watch this sequence.

The one element that all great coaches have is a relentless and unquenchable drive to improve and to instill that drive in their players. It is what makes Nick Saban a great coach. Without it, it is very hard to have a winning season, it is almost impossible to have a championship team. Today's coaches and coaches of previous generations all identify these fundamental traits as supreme and recognize that in The Bear they were realized.
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 am

Today marks the 20th anniversary of two momentus college football events. On 11/13/93, these two things happened:

1) Florida State traveled to South Bend to play Notre Dame in the 1993 "Game of the Century" (not to be confused with the 1971 "Game of the Century").

1) For the first time, ESPN did College Gameday on location.

Here's NBC's introduction to the game, which I am sure would have made Grantland Rice proud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNtG6ghlur0
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 am

jazzcyclist wrote:1993 "Game of the Century" (not to be confused with the 1971 "Game of the Century").

I had already forgotten (but now remember!) the 93 game. I will NEVER forget THE Game of the Century in 1971. It was the classic illustration of the paradox: "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"
Everyone knew that Okla was unstoppable, but no one could stop Nebraska either. Everyone knew that Nebraska's defense was impenetrable, but no one had cracked OK either. I half-expected a matter/anti-matter annihilation and the stadium would be a pile of rubble afterward.
The best part is that the game totally lived up to the hype. :D
That was the only season I rooted for either team (I rooted for both all season), and in this game, I didn't even care who won - I just wanted to see what happened!
Marlow

Postby gh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:25 am

=No. 5 on the '68 high school 300H list? One Jack Mildren (38.1).
gh

Postby user4 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:27 am

gh wrote:=No. 5 on the '68 high school 300H list? One Jack Mildren (38.1).

probably the first real dual threat QB.... But Im sure someone will remind me of a QB from the 40s. The scariest guy on that OU team though was the fullback, Leon Crosswhite, he just crushed LBers and DBs like they were grapes. He really made that wishbone work. Take him out and that Nebraska D looks allot better.

On the Nebraska side, there was the one and only Johnny Rodgers, simply the best player in college football in '71 and '72.
user4

Postby smc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:02 am

96 yard return for Kermit last weekend -- breaks the tape into the end zone, which I thought was cool. Fella needs to hang onto the ball, because this shouldn't have been a TD. Should be at about the 19:05 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipkSey5b-w
smc

Postby gh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:49 pm

user4 wrote:….
On the Nebraska side, there was the one and only Johnny Rodgers, simply the best player in college football in '71 and '72.

Unfortunately, Rodgers had his picture in my paper today

http://www.sfgate.com/default/photo/In- ... 453104.php
gh

Postby user4 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 am

can you please post the site where this info can be found ?

Also:

1) Best RB I have seen this year: Sankey of WSU.
2) Lynch of undefeated N.Illinois, a real dual threat.
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Today, FSU was its usual efficient self against Syracuse.

28-0 after the 1st quarter,
38-0 at halftime,
59-0 after three quarters.
call off the dogs and cost to a 59-3 win.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. . . .
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:28 pm

It's amazing how much better USC is playing since they got rid of Lane Kiffin. Sorry Marlow.
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:14 pm

user4 wrote:

can you please post the site where this info can be found ?...

it probably can't, unless somebody is pirating T&FN material.
gh

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:38 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

I never considered the question of who was the greatest college football coach a cut and dry issue, like the greatest men's quartermiler or men's pole vaulter. To me it's similar to the question of who's the greatest men's high hurdler or men's middle distance runner, meaning that you can't pin it down to one person, rather there are several names that need to be included in the discussion.

Can we debate/argue the best HBCU football coach....nope!...hands down it was Eddie Robinson. I see that same thing with big time football and Bear Bryant. And I have no reason to go with him (Pac12 fan) other than he was in my opinion (and most polls) the best ever.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:48 am

user4 wrote:

probably the first real dual threat QB.... But Im sure someone will remind me of a QB from the 40s. The scariest guy on that OU team though was the fullback, Leon Crosswhite, he just crushed LBers and DBs like they were grapes. He really made that wishbone work. Take him out and that Nebraska D looks allot better.

Greg Pruitt was a great back for the Sooners.

Rodgers had this funky herky jerky style of running, highly effective.....obviously!
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:53 am

Emotion is such an important aspect of the high school/college game (not as much at the $$$$ level) as we are seeing with USC. They now have a coach who motivates and gets his players up for a game.

Now with that said....

Stanford was in the perfect "spot" to be beat (was going to mention that before the game, but had computer problems for a few days). A huge home win then on the road vs a good team with revenge.....not good~~~~~~~
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:01 am

user4 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRx6ZLr3BdQ

Dixon take a look at that sequence of 3 plays, they represent a pure distillation of The Bear. Three goal line stands where each player is called upon, on the greatest stage of D1 football to rip his own heart out of his chest for the greater good .. it was war....

When the chips were down and everything was on the line, the Alabama players, knowing that they had gone through everything with the Bear, having been trained in a crucible of unimaginable stress, could execute perfectly and at peak output on a national stage. Notice the domination of the line of scrimmage. It must have been an honor to be even a 3rd string back up on that team.

Whenever I think of Joe Pa I try to watch this sequence.

The one element that all great coaches have is a relentless and unquenchable drive to improve and to instill that drive in their players. It is what makes Nick Saban a great coach. Without it, it is very hard to have a winning season, it is almost impossible to have a championship team. Today's coaches and coaches of previous generations all identify these fundamental traits as supreme and recognize that in The Bear they were realized.

I hear ya loud and clear. It's like boot camp, which tries to weed out those who can't cut the military way of life. They want those who can adapt and accept the challenge. Football is like that, it's not for the meek and weak.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:07 am

Just ramblin'...

The difference between QB's is just too dramatic for Auburn to even think about beating Alabama. And nobody is beating FSU.

So there's our Title game. What a bummer it would be if Winston is unable to play because of his off field situation.....total bummer.

I'm thinking...

1.Alabama
2.FSU
3.Baylor
4.Ohio State
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 am

Dixon wrote:Just ramblin'...

The difference between QB's is just too dramatic for Auburn to even think about beating Alabama. And nobody is beating FSU

I agree, fsu is the best team in the country , winston throws the perfect ball every time .... Got to hand it to jimbo fisher.
The award for most unlucky team has to go to georgia.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:26 am

user4 wrote:

The difference between QB's is just too dramatic for Auburn to even think about beating Alabama. And nobody is beating FSU

I agree, fsu is the best team in the country , winston throws the perfect ball every time .... Got to hand it to jimbo fisher.

We do have to ask/wonder if FSU can handle the size of the Championship game vs a team used to being there.
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 am

Dixon wrote:
user4 wrote:

We do have to ask/wonder if FSU can handle the size of the Championship game vs a team used to being there.

Dont know how FSU has been so exceptional on defense. While the front 4 down linemen are clearly tops their linebacker corp just dont look that capable .. but looking and doing are two very different things. I never would have thought Jimbo Fisher, or anyone for that matter, could replicate what Bobby Bowden did in the 1990s but he has and maybe more.
Last edited by user4 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:32 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:
user4 wrote:

Dont know how FSU has been so exceptionally good on defense. While the front 4 down linemen are clearly tops their linebacker corp just dont look that capable .. but looking and doing are two different things. I never would have thought Jimbo Fisher, or anyone could replicate what Bobby Bowden did in the 1990s but he has.

I agree with that.

The big deal is that Saban has that long wait/preperation for a Championship game...down~!~!~!~! We can't say that about Fisher and FSU. But....Fisher is 3-0 in bowl games at FSU.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:19 am

Considering the fact that his last four quarterbacks (JaMarcus Russell, Matt Flynn, Christian Ponder and E.J. Emanuel) have gone on to play in the NFL, with three of them being 1st-round picks, Jimbo Fisher, whose specialty is quarterbacks, is quietly building a reputation as a highly respected quarterback guru.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:31 am

After Alabama's lackluster performance against Mississippi State, FSU should be the new #1 IMO. When you have four undefeated teams at the top of the polls, style points matter.
jazzcyclist

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:43 am

jazzcyclist wrote:After Alabama's lackluster performance against Mississippi State, FSU should be the new #1 IMO. When you have four undefeated teams at the top of the polls, style points matter.

agree, but I dont trust that crafty Nick Saban to be playing straight right now. He is holding some cards close to his chest.
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:05 am

user4 wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:After Alabama's lackluster performance against Mississippi State, FSU should be the new #1 IMO. When you have four undefeated teams at the top of the polls, style points matter.

agree, but I dont trust that crafty Nick Saban to be playing straight right now. He is holding some cards close to his chest.

Why do that when it forces you to play your starters for the entire game? :?
jazzcyclist

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:38 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
user4 wrote:

Why do that when it forces you to play your starters for the entire game? :?

hmm.. good point.

The margins of victory for FSU have been so large Im compelled to rate them #1. On the other hand, as I look at FSUs schedule I can not compare it to Alabama's or Stanford's. I dont trust the ACC enough. I like the big10 and Pac12 much more and of course the SEC is above both of them.
user4

Postby Pego » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:24 am

user4 wrote:I dont trust the ACC enough. I like the big10 and Pac12 much more

CBS Sportsline is projecting Clemson-Wisconsin for Orange. I can't stop drooling over that prospect.
Pego

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:47 am

Pego wrote:

CBS Sportsline is projecting Clemson-Wisconsin for Orange. I can't stop drooling over that prospect.

Just to highlight how deep the big10, pac12 and sec are... consider that (big10) Wisconsin's 2 losses were by a total of 9 points. Pac12's Stanford has 2 losses by a total of 9 points, and Georgia had 3 of its losses by a total of 12 points.

In the SEC, Pac12 and Big10 things are very serious almost every week. OSU and Wisconsin are great football teams, they can beat any team anywhere .... The Big 12 is also great football. But I dont see the mid-tier teams of the ACC that FSU is beating as anything like that.
user4

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 am

Not when they don't play the same schedule.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 am

Pego wrote:

sounds like you are a big10 fan ! .. be careful what you wish for, Clemson and FSU will be ready for their Bowl games !!
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:53 am

Bruce Kritzler wrote:

Not when they don't play the same schedule.

1) I reject the idea that Alabama's schedule is so tough. For one thing, the SEC is down this year and the other thing is that they didn't have to play any of the tougher teams from the Eastern division schedule. Next week they play mighty Chattanooga. What a freakin' joke!

2) Style points have nothing to do with schedule. Style points have to do with playing up to your expectations regardless of who you're playing. Neither Alabama nor FSU should be given credit for getting W's against inferior opponents yesterday, but FSU should be given credit for how they beat their opponent. There's no excuse for the #1 team in the country struggling against Mississippi State the way the Tide did last night, and I don't buy the argument that it's forgivable because of their emotional win last weekend against LSU. Just look at what FSU did the weeks following their emotional wins over Clemson and Miami.
jazzcyclist

Postby KevinM » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:05 am

jazzcyclist wrote:1) I reject the idea that Alabama's schedule is so tough. For one thing, the SEC is down this year and the other thing is that they didn't have to play any of the tougher teams from the Eastern division schedule. Next week they play mighty Chattanooga. What a freakin' joke!

And FSU plays Idaho...

Back to Bama, isn't the mid/late season patsy sort of an SEC staple over the last decade or so, since the member schools start their conference schedule earlier than many others?
KevinM

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:14 am

Warranted or not the perception is that the SEC is the elite conference so anyone shining there will always be the top team. They do prove why they get that respect in the bowl games from an historical perspective.
Dixon

PreviousNext