2013 College Football

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 2013 College Football

Postby Pego » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:43 am

jazzcyclist wrote:John Calipari perfectly understands the modern athlete.

I hope, this post is not going to hijack the thread.

Kentucky in the past few years has metamorphosed into a 1-year NBA transition camp for a top notch high school talent. I fully understand realities of today's elite college athletics, but Kentucky no longer even resembles college basketball.
Pego

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:43 am

Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:John Calipari perfectly understands the modern athlete.

I hope, this post is not going to hijack the thread.

Kentucky in the past few years has metamorphosed into a 1-year NBA transition camp for a top notch high school talent. I fully understand realities of today's elite college athletics, but Kentucky no longer even resembles college basketball.

But jazz never said that Calipari understands the "student-athlete".
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:17 am

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:He simply weeded out those who couldn't hang. Not unlike boot camp. It's a time tested method that has always been successful.

BS Alert. Kenny Hall couldn't hang? Really? The Bear was a bully and his methods would get him fired today. Saban is a better coach, and he's not even the best out there.

Saban is not a better coach, that's ridiculous.

Yes the Bear would have to tone it done a bit in today sissy world but he'd still be the roughest/gruffest coach out there. And that would land plenty of players since he would be winning.

There are al ot of athletes who want it hard, just ask fighters/MMAers, they don't want it easy.
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am

Dixon wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:He simply weeded out those who couldn't hang. Not unlike boot camp. It's a time tested method that has always been successful.

BS Alert. Kenny Hall couldn't hang? Really? The Bear was a bully and his methods would get him fired today. Saban is a better coach, and he's not even the best out there.

Yes the Bear would have to tone it done a bit in today sissy world but he'd still be the roughest/gruffest coach out there. And that would land plenty of players since he would be winning.

You dont have to be a fan of the Bear's 50s coaching style to see that the Bear would adapt and win in any era. I think Dixon has a point, when guys go through hell and come back out of it better than they were, they have no fears facing a football game and they can execute flawlessly under apparent pressure. That old school model once controlled countless institutions from the academic to the military. While it has laregly been purged it survives as the basis of many military special forces worldwide. The US Navy Seals are the last remaining archetype of it.
Last edited by user4 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:21 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:
Marlow wrote:

You dont have to be a fan of the Bear's 50s coaching style to see that the Bear would adapt and win in any era.

I can't believe anyone into/knowledgeable about the college game can even debate/question about Bear Bryant. The guy simply knew how to get it done.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:27 am

Alabama vs Chattanooga

Now just what are those two teams going to be doing next week? What....looking at film, game planning...why? Just what are those Chattanooga coachs going to be talking about? When they know everyone knows they stand no chance at all to hang within 30 (and I'm being nice). This is totally/completely ridiculous.Those young men at Chattanooga don't deserve to be treated this way.

What does Saban do this week getting ready for Chattanooga? This really is stupid.

I guess people really will do anything for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Living 100 or so miles south from Fresno I get to see all their games. Keep in mind I watch every game I can yep even SWAC/MEAC action (that's a whole other kind of football, trust me) and I'm telling ya, if there is a better QB/receiver gang inn the nation I don't know who that would be, yep not even Baylor.

Derek Carr is on par with any QB in the nation, dead serious. Devante Adams and Isaiah Burse are incredible athletes then there's Josh Harper another stud receiver. What the Bulldogs don't have is a speed at running back/receiving backs. And I doubt their D could hang with the elite teams.

If ya get a chance check the Bulldogs out.
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:29 am

Dixon wrote:Alabama vs Chattanooga

Now just what are those two teams going to be doing next week? What....looking at film, game planning...why? Just what are those Chattanooga coachs going to be talking about? When they know everyone knows they stand a no chance at all to hang within 30 (and I'm being nice). This is totally/completely ridiculous.Those young men at Chattanooga don't deserve to be treated this way.

What does Saban do this week getting ready for Chattanooga? This really is stupid.

Im guessing he uses it to try some new things and more importantly get some of the back-up players in the mix. You never know who is going to get injured in the big bowl game and you want to exercise the whole depth chart.

The tragedy here is that the second and third string Alabama players just as in the Bear's day, are way too much for a Chattanooga.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:51 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:Alabama vs Chattanooga

Now just what are those two teams going to be doing next week? What....looking at film, game planning...why? Just what are those Chattanooga coachs going to be talking about? When they know everyone knows they stand a no chance at all to hang within 30 (and I'm being nice). This is totally/completely ridiculous.Those young men at Chattanooga don't deserve to be treated this way.

Im guessing he uses it to try some new things and more importantly get some of the back-up players in the mix. You never know who is going to get injured in the big bowl game and you want to exercise the whole depth chart.

The tragedy here is that the second and third string Alabama players just as in the Bear's day, are way too much for a Chattanooga.

There is no thought of any kind of the players involved in these kinds of games. What about the...mercy rule? Where's the compassion? I challenge anyone on this board to give me the name of any Chattanooga player in the NFL without Google? I do have...one....Terrell Owens. Now who else?

We all know about the $$$$$ thing but I don't care, some things need to go beyond just $$$$$$.

I saw a call yesterday in the Fresno game that was crazy. Receiver catchs the ball and if nobody is there is gone, well somebody was there and simply hit him with a shoulder knocking him down. THAT IS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....and we saw a penalty and as ejection from the game, which after review didn't hold up because it was real obvious he hit with a shoulder but it was still a penalty....FOR WHAT????????????? So we are now that worried over injury yet don't care about humiliation, it's crazy!
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:06 am

Dixon wrote: Yes the Bear would have to tone it done a bit in today sissy world but he'd still be the roughest/gruffest coach out there. And that would land plenty of players since he would be winning.

There are al ot of athletes who want it hard, just ask fighters/MMAers, they don't want it easy.

What evidence is there to suggest that the Bear would have been any more successful in the modern era than Bobby Knight, and keep in mind that basketball coaches only need to find 12 "athletes who want it hard", not 85 like football coaches do?
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:12 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote: Yes the Bear would have to tone it done a bit in today sissy world but he'd still be the roughest/gruffest coach out there. And that would land plenty of players since he would be winning.

What evidence is there to suggest that the Bear would have been any more successful in the modern era than Bobby Knight, and keep in mind that basketball coaches only need to find 12 "athletes who want it hard", not 85 like football coaches do?

The Bear took his era and mastered it, he knew what it took to excell in that world. I have no doubts he'd be doing that in any era/situation he simply knew how to get things done.

He could have lived/coached at anytime in history and rule his domain. The guy was a leader who knew what he was doing.

Why are you fighting this so hard? It isn't real obvious Bear Bryant was a hell of a man/coach? What he gets dumb because it's 2013?
Dixon

Postby gh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 am

gh wrote:my favorite Bear Bryant trivia question: he had a losing record against only one school in bowl games. What school?

bump
gh

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:20 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

You mean the Bobby Knight that won national titles in the 70s and coached Mike Krzyzewski at Army ?
user4

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 am

gh wrote:
gh wrote:my favorite Bear Bryant trivia question: he had a losing record against only one school in bowl games. What school?

bump

Great question... was I allowed to search for it ?.. if so I find that Darrell Royal beat the Bear in two Bowl meetings. Both of them very closely contested.

Dixon wrote:.. I have no doubts he'd be doing that in any era/situation he simply knew how to get things done.
He could have lived/coached at anytime in history and rule his domain. The guy was a leader who knew what he was doing.
... It isn't real obvious Bear Bryant was a hell of a man/coach? What he gets dumb because it's 2013?

The Bear was a truly great man, everyone that ever met him attested to his intelligence, determination, courage, discipline and honor.

One of the greatest Bear stories, is somewhat like the George Washington Cherry tree story, The Bear earned his name as a young over sized boy, who when told by his father that he could wrestle a bear at a state fair, was eager and ready to jump in there with the bear!.. At least that is how I remember the story. From that time on he was The Bear,... When years later he grew to be 6'4" the name fit perfectly.

He would succeed because men of great character and intelligence and discipline always succeed. One thing they never do is yell up into the stands of the arena at their jealous detractors.
Last edited by user4 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:29 am

gh wrote:

bump

Notre Dame?
Dixon

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:29 am

Dixon wrote:The Bear took his era and mastered it, he knew what it took to excell in that world. I have no doubts he'd be doing that in any era/situation he simply knew how to get things done. He could have lived/coached at anytime in history and rule his domain.

Absolutely untrue. Bryant was a product of his upbringing and time. He could not have adapted to today's game because everything about him was attuned to his era. He would be a fish out of water today, just like Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler. You know who could excel today? Bud Wilkinson.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:29 am

Dixon wrote:If ya get a chance check the Bulldogs out.

I've been following them this year. They started out slow last night, but they were hitting on all cylinders by the end of the game. I always worry about the disadvantages a sea-level team faces when they have to go on the road and play a high-altitude like Wyoming. Their win over Boise State earlier this year was a long time coming and set them on the path to perhaps the greatest season in the school's history.

It was sort of poetic justice since Boise State was the team that ended their dream in 2001, when Derek's brother David was the quarterback and the Bulldogs were well on their way to becoming the first BCS Buster. I still say that what Fresno State did in September 2001, schedule murder's row against teams from AQ conferences and survive, has to go down as one of the greatest Septembers in college football history. We've seen Boise State schedule one team like this in September and survive, and maybe two, but never three in successive weekends like Fresno State did.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:34 am

Dixon wrote:
gh wrote:

bump

Notre Dame?

Darrell Royal beat him twice.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:34 am

Dixon wrote:I saw a call yesterday in the Fresno game that was crazy. Receiver catchs the ball and if nobody is there is gone, well somebody was there and simply hit him with a shoulder knocking him down. THAT IS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....and we saw a penalty and as ejection from the game, which after review didn't hold up because it was real obvious he hit with a shoulder but it was still a penalty....FOR WHAT????????????? So we are now that worried over injury yet don't care about humiliation, it's crazy!

Even the coaches are complaining about this and they want the rule to be changed next year, so that if the replay shows that the hit was legal, you reverse the ejection AND the penalty. It makes no since to let the penalty stand if the replay shows that the hit was legal.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:38 am

Worst call yesterday was a TD being called back because the receiver somersaulted into the end-zone, and was penalized 15 yds AND lost the TD for unsportsmanlike conduct. PuhLEEEEEZ.
A. The DB was almost on him so he dove.
B. Doing a front tuck to a roll out is NOT taunting.

Let the kids play - it's a FREAKIN game!
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:41 am

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:The Bear took his era and mastered it, he knew what it took to excell in that world. I have no doubts he'd be doing that in any era/situation he simply knew how to get things done. He could have lived/coached at anytime in history and rule his domain.

Absolutely untrue. Bryant was a product of his upbringing and time. He could not have adapted to today's game because everything about him was attuned to his era. He would be a fish out of water today, just like Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler. You know who could excel today? Bud Wilkinson.

Wrong~~~~~~~

The guy knew what it took in his day just like he'd be doing in any era. He was a leader regardless of era,
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:43 am

user4 wrote:You mean the Bobby Knight that won national titles in the 70s and coached Mike Krzyzewski at Army ?

No, I'm talking about the Knight who got fired from Indiana in 2000 after he refused administration demands to modernize, and who could no longer recruit the quality of athletes necessary to win conference championships and make Final Four appearances.
jazzcyclist

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
user4 wrote:You mean the Bobby Knight that won national titles in the 70s and coached Mike Krzyzewski at Army ?

No, I'm talking about the Knight who got fired from Indiana in 2000 after he refused administration demands to modernize, and who could no longer recruit the quality of athletes necessary to win conference championships and make Final Four appearances.

Oh, that Knight, I wonder if that 80 year old Knight, if he were born in 1970 would be capable of winning conference championships today.

My own thinking is that Knight and the Bear were great men, they took the world they had inherited and they succeeded. For Knight, the world of basketball and of NCAA D1 athletics changed on him. I cant really fault him that his program and methods, well suited to the "student-athlete" model he cut his teeth on at Army, are now as unnecessary as the "student" in "student-athlete".

Knight and Woody Hayes seemed to have allot in common. Both got out of control as they got older. .. .that is in marked contrast with the Bear, who became more subdued and thoughtful and respectful of his players as he got older.

Dixon wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Wrong~~~~~~~
The guy knew what it took in his day just like he'd be doing in any era. He was a leader regardless of era,

Dixon is right, .. The fact is that is no person, none of us, are not a product of our era. Marlow, your point applies everywhere at every time and therefore gives very little information about how the Bear would coach today.

One thing I suspect is that the 6'4" Bear would be an adequate blocking TE under Nick Saban just as he was for the 1930s Alabama .
Last edited by user4 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
user4

Postby Pego » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:49 am

user4 wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Oh, that Knight, I wonder if that 80 year old Knight, if he were born in 1970 would be capable of winning conference championships today.

Not close to 80. He is younger than me and I am just a kid :wink: .
Pego

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:51 am

Marlow wrote:Worst call yesterday was a TD being called back because the receiver somersaulted into the end-zone, and was penalized 15 yds AND lost the TD for unsportsmanlike conduct. PuhLEEEEEZ.
A. The DB was almost on him so he dove.
B. Doing a front tuck to a roll out is NOT taunting.

Let the kids play - it's a FREAKIN game!

As we all know this ..taunting/safety...thing is getting ridiculous. This is football and it's going to be about things other than just scoring points, something called.....emotion. They are trying to take that away and it cannot be done.
Dixon

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:57 am

Dixon wrote:The guy knew what it took in his day just like he'd be doing in any era.

He was specifically bred for his era. To take his edge off for today's game would have broken him.
As Jazz says, today's 'wussification' would have been too much for him. Your romanticization of him is wistful thinking. Saban (whom I don't even like!) is the epitome of the successful program manager (as opposed to the old-fashioned term, coach (BTW he IS the coach of the Bama defensive secondary)) today. Even my beloved Bobby would have trouble today, only 20 years after his hay-day.
Marlow

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:59 am

Dixon wrote:As we all know this ..taunting/safety...thing is getting ridiculous. This is football and it's going to be about things other than just scoring points, something called.....emotion. They are trying to take that away and it cannot be done.

We agree! It's a game, son, I say it's a GAME! It's supposed to be fun! Sack dances, TD celebrations, so what? As long it's not taunting (which becomes obvious!), let 'em play!
Marlow

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:04 am

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:As we all know this ..taunting/safety...thing is getting ridiculous. This is football and it's going to be about things other than just scoring points, something called.....emotion. They are trying to take that away and it cannot be done.

We agree! It's a game, son, I say it's a GAME! It's supposed to be fun! Sack dances, TD celebrations, so what? As long it's not taunting (which becomes obvious!), let 'em play!

I agree, the taunting can get out of control. I dont think the dance into the endzone is a taunt. But calling names and making slanderous comments about your opponent is not in sports and it should lead to immediate ejection.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:19 am

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:The guy knew what it took in his day just like he'd be doing in any era.

He was specifically bred for his era. To take his edge off for today's game would have broken him.
As Jazz says, today's 'wussification' would have been too much for him. Your romanticization of him is wistful thinking. Saban (whom I don't even like!) is the epitome of the successful program manager (as opposed to the old-fashioned term, coach (BTW he IS the coach of the Bama defensive secondary)) today. Even my beloved Bobby would have trouble today, only 20 years after his hay-day.

How big a fantasy are we making this?
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:22 am

Marlow wrote:Saban (whom I don't even like!) is the epitome of the successful program manager (as opposed to the old-fashioned term, coach (BTW he IS the coach of the Bama defensive secondary)) today. Even my beloved Bobby would have trouble today, only 20 years after his hay-day.

Also remember that like you, Saban is a kid of the Woodstock generation. He was on Kent State's campus just a couple hundred yards from where the tragic shootings took place in 1970. There's nothing that kids are doing to day that he didn't do, or at least see, back when he was playing college football.
jazzcyclist

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 am

1) I seriously seriously doubt Saban was ever a pot smoking hippie. Im going to guess he was just the opposite; high expectations and no wasted time. Character traits transcend generations . It really is that simple.

2) one of my favorite Bear moments was the 1979 Sugarbowl where the Bear stopped Joe Pa in mid air on very very short notice just one foot from the goal line. ... That Bama D was stout, .. the linebacker was Barry Krauss. Penn State Nittany Lions went into that championship game as favorites, but came out of it mauled by the Bear!
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:33 am

user4 wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I agree, the taunting can get out of control. I dont think the dance into the endzone is a taunt. But calling names and making slanderous comments about your opponent is not in sports and it should lead to immediate ejection.

It;s a war out there and we are going to have strong lingo and taunting. As long as the game is played by violent people it will be violent. There has never been a football game played where somebody didn't taunt/degrade another player. You cannot stop that, it's part of the deal and we all know that going in.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:49 am

user4 wrote:1) I seriously seriously doubt Saban was ever a pot smoking hippie. Im going to guess he was just the opposite; high expectations and no wasted time. Character traits transcend generations . It really is that simple.

Our last three Presidents, the current Secretary of State and two of the members of the U.S. Supreme Court all smoked dope and/or snorted coke but it didn't prevent them from being high achievers. Also, did you miss the part of my post where I said "or at least see"? Marlow says that he didn't "do" when he was in college, but I'm quite sure he "saw".

user4 wrote:Penn State Nittany Lions went into that championship game as favorites, but came out of it mauled by the Bear!

Do you really consider a 14-7 win to be a mauling? :?
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:55 am

I gotta be honest, I would never expect anyone really into the college game to debate/question Bear Bryant. I assumed it was right there with....Usian Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever. Not...well if Bolt ran on dirt tracks and didn't have the coaching and............... :o
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:01 am

jazzcyclist wrote:....
user4 wrote:Penn State Nittany Lions went into that championship game as favorites, but came out of it mauled by the Bear!

Do you really consider a 14-7 win to be a mauling? :?

when you go in as Bear underdogs against an undefeated # 1 ranked PSU team and in the last drive of the game they decide that they are going to show you smash mouth football on the 1 foot line and you eat them alive !! .. That sir is a Bear mauling and it is also my favorite Joe Pa moment !
Last edited by user4 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user4

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
user4 wrote:1) I seriously seriously doubt Saban was ever a pot smoking hippie. Im going to guess he was just the opposite; high expectations and no wasted time. Character traits transcend generations . It really is that simple.

Our last three Presidents, the current Secretary of State and two of the members of the U.S. Supreme Court all smoked dope and/or snorted coke but it didn't prevent them from being high achievers. .

Thank you , I rest my case.
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:11 am

Dixon wrote:I gotta be honest, I would never expect anyone really into the college game to debate/question Bear Bryant. I assumed it was right there with....Usian Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever. Not...well if Bolt ran on dirt tracks and didn't have the coaching and............... :o

I never considered the question of who was the greatest college football coach a cut and dry issue, like the greatest men's quartermiler or men's pole vaulter. To me it's similar to the question of who's the greatest men's high hurdler or men's middle distance runner, meaning that you can't pin it down to one person, rather there are several names that need to be included in the discussion.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:13 am

user4 wrote:Thank you , I rest my case.

I think you need to make your case before you rest it.
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 am

Dixon wrote:I gotta be honest, I would never expect anyone really into the college game to debate/question Bear Bryant. I assumed it was right there with....Usian Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever. Not...well if Bolt ran on dirt tracks and didn't have the coaching and............... :o

I basic training, one of my closest friends played for Bryant --- and he absolutely hated him. He had absolutely nothing good to say about him. Said that he cared not a whit for anyone other than the top stars, the rest were pure fodder in his mind. He would play them injured if there was anything in it for him and did not care for the well-being of the players at all.
26mi235

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRx6ZLr3BdQ

Dixon take a look at that sequence of 3 plays, they represent a pure distillation of The Bear. Three goal line stands where each player is called upon, on the greatest stage of D1 football to rip his own heart out of his chest for the greater good .. it was war....

When the chips were down and everything was on the line, the Alabama players, knowing that they had gone through everything with the Bear, having been trained in a crucible of unimaginable stress, could execute perfectly and at peak output on a national stage. Notice the domination of the line of scrimmage. It must have been an honor to be even a 3rd string back up on that team.

Whenever I think of Joe Pa I try to watch this sequence.

The one element that all great coaches have is a relentless and unquenchable drive to improve and to instill that drive in their players. It is what makes Nick Saban a great coach. Without it, it is very hard to have a winning season, it is almost impossible to have a championship team. Today's coaches and coaches of previous generations all identify these fundamental traits as supreme and recognize that in The Bear they were realized.
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 am

Today marks the 20th anniversary of two momentus college football events. On 11/13/93, these two things happened:

1) Florida State traveled to South Bend to play Notre Dame in the 1993 "Game of the Century" (not to be confused with the 1971 "Game of the Century").

1) For the first time, ESPN did College Gameday on location.

Here's NBC's introduction to the game, which I am sure would have made Grantland Rice proud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNtG6ghlur0
jazzcyclist

PreviousNext