2013 College Football

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 2013 College Football

Postby Dixon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:24 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:
user4 wrote:I loved the Bear but I also loved (maybe more) Coach Woody Hayes.
(If only that final flameout gator bowl incident could be erased from the history books. )

Coach Hayes was one of the geniuses of the passing game : "3 things can happen when you throw the ball , two of them are bad." -Woody Hayes.**

Just remember that quote Dixon next time you are stuck in that one dimensional spread offense pass game universe :wink:

**Yes indeed, Darrel Royal picked up that quote from Coach Hayes

Well actually if ya run the ball you can lose yardage and fumble so .....

Somehow your quote falls flat !

Back to the Bear, He was a great great coach but he was flawed in many ways :

1) He had an unlimited bankroll at Alabama by which he could recruit a great volume of talent and no other coach could match that. His 1978 championship team had how many scholarship athletes ?

2) His coaching philosophy in the late 50s and early 60s was typical for the era. Today we would call it simply retrograde and designed to build a Marine corp like allegiance more than anything else. If he lost the most talented players in the process, then all the better as it would build even greater solidarity with the remaining guys.

Nevertheless I still consider the Bear the greatest NCAA coach ever. Mostly because when I consider the alternatives, no one is even close. Certainly not Joe Pa, or Bobby Bowden.

In his book, he talks about regretting a lot of his gruffness that some players couldn't deal with, but....those who could could handle anything. Which does explain a lot.
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:37 am

Dixon wrote:In his book, he talks about regretting a lot of his gruffness that some players couldn't deal with, but....those who could could handle anything. Which does explain a lot.

I think he would have been much more successful had he sought to use the talent he recruited rather than winnow it down to "a few good men" .. but that philosophy was pervasive in every area of life back then. The Bear was simply willing to take it to bolder extremes.
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:09 am

user4 wrote:1) He had an unlimited bankroll at Alabama by which he could recruit a great volume of talent and no other coach could match that. His 1978 championship team had how many scholarship athletes ?

Don't forget that he's responsible for the NCAA's "Bear Bryant rule", which bans athletes who are on non-football athletic scholarships from playing football. He's also responsible for the 85-man scholarship limitation.

Another issue of concern for Dodd was Alabama's and other SEC schools' over-recruitment of players. Universities would recruit more players than they had roster space for. During the summer practice sessions, the teams in question would cut the players well after signing day thus preventing the cut players from finding new colleges to play for. Dodd appealed the SEC administration to punish the "tryout camps" of his fellow SEC members but the SEC did not. Finally, Dodd withdrew Georgia Tech from the SEC in 1963. Tech would remain an independent like Notre Dame and Penn State (at the time) during the final four years of Dodd's coaching tenure.

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.ph ... ar-bryant/
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:12 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:In his book, he talks about regretting a lot of his gruffness that some players couldn't deal with, but....those who could could handle anything. Which does explain a lot.

I think he would have been much more successful had he sought to use the talent he recruited rather than winnow it down to "a few good men" .. but that philosophy was pervasive in every area of life back then. The Bear was simply willing to take it to bolder extremes.

How much more successful could he have been? He simply weeded out those who couldn't hang. Not unlike boot camp. It's a time tested method that has always been successful.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:16 am

Dixon wrote:There is no discussion of ...The Greatest College Football Coach....and not talk about Bear Bryant. I've been into college football since the early 60's, I 've read up on the games origins, know all about The Four Horsemen, Knute Rockne, The Galloping Ghost etc etc and in my opinion Bear Bryant is the GOAT when it comes to coaches and I don't care if he's pretty or not :D

There's no doubt that Bryant must be included in any discussion of the GOAT, I'm just saying that this discussion includes more than just one person. Reasonable minds can disagree.
:P
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:33 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:There is no discussion of ...The Greatest College Football Coach....and not talk about Bear Bryant. I've been into college football since the early 60's, I 've read up on the games origins, know all about The Four Horsemen, Knute Rockne, The Galloping Ghost etc etc and in my opinion Bear Bryant is the GOAT when it comes to coaches and I don't care if he's pretty or not :D

There's no doubt that Bryant must be included in any discussion of the GOAT, I'm just saying that this discussion includes more than just one person. Reasonable minds can disagree.
:P

I just now found this so it came after my opinion. It's pretty much the norm I'd reckon.

http://www.barrystickets.com/blog/top-t ... -all-time/

I have no doubts I could find other similiar sites with pretty much the same results. I think saying Bear Bryant was the best college football coach is pretty much accepted by most football fans. As you know I'm a Pac12 fan.

WOW!....just this minute saw a picture of the Bear on ESPN.
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:01 am

Dixon wrote:I just now found this so it came after my opinion. It's pretty much the norm I'd reckon.

I have no doubts I could find other similiar sites with pretty much the same results. I think saying Bear Bryant was the best college football coach is pretty much accepted by most football fans. As you know I'm a Pac12 fan.

Now after reading that barrystickets list .. My own ranking:

1) Bear Bryant,
2) Pop Warner
3) Knute Rockne
4) Woody Hayes
5) Eddie Robinson

No to Joe Pa, no to Bobby Bowden.
user4

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:03 am

Dixon wrote:
user4 wrote:

How much more successful could he have been? He simply weeded out those who couldn't hang. Not unlike boot camp. It's a time tested method that has always been successful.

Do what Bear did back then to the players of today and there would be 3 guys standing.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:10 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:I just now found this so it came after my opinion. It's pretty much the norm I'd reckon.

Now after reading that barrystickets list .. My own ranking:

1) Bear Bryant,
2) Pop Warner
3) Knute Rockne
4) Woody Hayes
5) Eddie Robinson

No to Joe Pa, no to Bobby Bowden.

I would take me awhile to come up with 2-5, but it would just be moving around those you mentioned...maybe.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:11 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:
user4 wrote:

Do what Bear did back then to the players of today and there would be 3 guys standing.

Not so sure about that, it would be like those guys who join the marines they want that challenge. He'd get players who want the challenge.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:16 am

What about Saban?

John Croyle, a former Alabama All-American defensive end under Bryant, told me that he believes what Saban has done in the modern age of college football might be even more impressive than what the Bear himself accomplished -- at least on the field.
"With the scrutiny of the media and intrusion and microscope of the NCAA, it's much harder (to win) now," Croyle said during an interview recently on our Open Mike radio show in which he also discussed an inspiring new book he has out entitled: The Two-Minute Drill To Manhood: A Proven Game Plan for Raising Sons.

"Obviously I played for who I consider the best college coach because he taught so much extra," Croyle added, "but Coach Saban is right there with him if not more because of the extraneous circumstances (in today's game).

Croyle, it seems, agrees with what I wrote in my recent column comparing Saban and Bryant. Saban has already won four championships – three at Alabama, one at LSU – compared to Bryant's six. Saban's won two in a row, three of the last four and has done it playing in the most dominant, dynastic era not only in SEC history but in college football history. Four different programs have won championships in the SEC's unprecedented run of seven straight national titles. Not only that, but the SEC finished last regular season with six teams ranked in the top 10.

The fact is, it's much harder in today's world to win four national championships than it was for the Bear to win six in the 1960s and '70s. There are many more programs in football and basketball capable of winning a national title now than there were 50 years ago.

In the Bear's day, there weren't 50 schools out there who had the resources or desire to compete for national championships. The Bear didn't have to worry about Boise State or Kansas State or even Florida or Oregon. Back in the Bear's day, there weren't scholarship limitations and big-money TV deals that evened the playing field and allowed so many different schools to compete at the upper echelon of college football.

Happy birthday, Bear.

You will always be the most iconic coach in college football, but not necessarily the greatest.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... 13854.post
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:21 am

Dixon wrote:Not so sure about that, it would be like those guys who join the marines they want that challenge. He'd get players who want the challenge.

If that were true, Bobby Knight wouldn't have seen his teams decline towards the end of his career. John Calipari perfectly understands the modern athlete. Could Bear have made the adjustments?
jazzcyclist

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:30 am

jazzcyclist wrote:What about Saban?

John Croyle, a former Alabama All-American defensive end under Bryant, told me that he believes what Saban has done in the modern age of college football might be even more impressive than what the Bear himself accomplished -- at least on the field.
"With the scrutiny of the media and intrusion and microscope of the NCAA, it's much harder (to win) now," Croyle said ..
Croyle, it seems, agrees with what I wrote in my recent column comparing Saban and Bryant. Saban has already won four championships – three at Alabama, one at LSU – compared to Bryant's six. Saban's won two in a row, three of the last four and has done it playing in the most dominant, dynastic era not only in SEC history but in college football history. Four different programs have won championships in the SEC's unprecedented run of seven straight national titles. Not only that, but the SEC finished last regular season with six teams ranked in the top 10.

The fact is, it's much harder in today's world to win four national championships than it was for the Bear to win six in the 1960s and '70s. There are many more programs in football and basketball capable of winning a national title now than there were 50 years ago.

In the Bear's day, there weren't 50 schools out there who had the resources or desire to compete for national championships. The Bear didn't have to worry about Boise State or Kansas State or even Florida or Oregon. Back in the Bear's day, there weren't scholarship limitations and big-money TV deals that evened the playing field and allowed so many different schools to compete at the upper echelon of college football.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... 13854.post

What a fiction... no better way to shape the opinion in the present than by not knowing the past: Fact, the SEC of the early 60s was just as dominant as it is today.

Ill take a wild guess: Croyle's Foundation receives some great contributions from present supporters of Alabama football.
Last edited by user4 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:36 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:Not so sure about that, it would be like those guys who join the marines they want that challenge. He'd get players who want the challenge.

If that were true, Bobby Knight wouldn't have seen his teams decline towards the end of his career. John Calipari perfectly understands the modern athlete. Could Bear have made the adjustments?

I know for a fact that's true, ok? I know guys who did join the marines because it was mean/nasty.

Compare what Saban has done to what the Bear did.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 am

Dixon wrote:I know for a fact that's true, ok? I know guys who did join the marines because it was mean/nasty.

I don't doubt what you're saying. My brother, who was born in 1974, chose to go to college at West Point because of the discipline. Also, his favorite singer is Ella Fitzgerald, but old-school kids like him are a rarity these days. However, times have changed, and even the military has been forced to change in order to be able to recruit the modern soldier. Did you hear about the same-sex wedding that West Point recently hosted for two of its gay graduates? We don't live in a George Patton-Woody Hayes-Bear Bryant-Bobby Knight world anymore. When I was coming up, there was no such thing as participation trophies for everybody on my little league team's roster, win or lose. To get a trophy you had to actually do something noteworthy, but kids today expect to be pampered, no matter how shitty their performance.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:35 am

jazzcyclist wrote:but kids today expect to be pampered, no matter how shitty their performance.

To be fair, it's their parents that expect/want it.
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:50 am

Dixon wrote:He simply weeded out those who couldn't hang. Not unlike boot camp. It's a time tested method that has always been successful.

BS Alert. Kenny Hall couldn't hang? Really? The Bear was a bully and his methods would get him fired today. Saban is a better coach, and he's not even the best out there.
Marlow

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:53 am

I realize that I was the first to criticize the Bear's methods, but the truth is, it was that culture of excellence that produced the most productive and greatest nation on earth. It won wars against superpowers, it raised the standard of living for billions, it could in 10 short years put a man on the moon. Even if it had a few flaws there was immense good in that (now ancient) national ethos.
user4

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:03 am

user4 wrote:I realize that I was the first to criticize the Bear's methods, but the truth is, it was that culture of excellence that produced the most productive and greatest nation on earth. It won wars against superpowers, it raised the standard of living for billions, it could in 10 short years put a man on the moon. Even if it had a few flaws there was immense good in that (now ancient) national ethos.

National greatness? World Wars? World-wide standard of living? Space travel? :?

Come on man. Now you're getting carried away. :lol:

By the way, am I the only one who feels a little letdown with Thursday nights two big games already behind us? Normally, I'm more amped on Saturday afternoons in the fall than I am today, but I guess the two losses on LSU's record have something to do with this.
jazzcyclist

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:43 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:By the way, am I the only one who feels a little letdown with Thursday nights two big games already behind us? Normally, I'm more amped on Saturday afternoons in the fall than I am today, but I guess the two losses on LSU's record have something to do with this.

Your'e alone on that one as far as I am concerned ...there is not a dimes worth of difference between more than a few of the 7-2 teams and the undefeated: Consider LSU's losses,

27-24 v OleMiss
44-41 v Georgia ...

LSU can beat anybody, Im not counting them out and Ill be cheering for a win for the great coache Les Miles!

As for those (you know who you are Dixon) that place the SEC so far above all other conferences, how is it that a midlevel Big12 team like TAM can go toe to toe against the best of the SEC in one years time... The truth is that there isnt that much of a difference.

Has anyone noticed how there is a vast chasm between Charlie Weis's reputation as a head coach and his actual performance as a head coach ?... how does this guy keep getting plumb jobs ?
user4

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:40 pm

user4 wrote:I realize that I was the first to criticize the Bear's methods, but the truth is, it was that culture of excellence that produced the most productive and greatest nation on earth.

Humungous Logical Fallacy Alert!
Conflating Bear Bryant's success and America's success is Tafny worthy!!
Marlow

Postby gh » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:16 pm

my favorite Bear Bryant trivia question: he had a losing record against only one school in bowl games. What school?
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:45 pm

user4 wrote:As for those (you know who you are Dixon) that place the SEC so far above all other conferences, how is it that a midlevel Big12 team like TAM can go toe to toe against the best of the SEC in one years time... The truth is that there isnt that much of a difference.

And let's not forget about Missouri, who are set to win the SEC East this year. To be honest, I hate all the arrogant SEC fans that surround me, I only care what happens to LSU. The only SEC schools I want to see do well are the ones that are on LSU's schedule that year. If LSU didn't play Alabama and Auburn every year, I wouldn't care if those programs went 0-12 and 1-11 or 1-11 and 0-12, respectively.

user4 wrote:Has anyone noticed how there is a vast chasm between Charlie Weis's reputation as a head coach and his actual performance as a head coach ?... how does this guy keep getting plumb jobs ?

The same way Lane Kiffin keeps getting big jobs. Great agent? :?: There are internet rumors floating around that Kiffin was seen meeting with some movers and shakers in Austin recently. :shock:
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Marlow wrote:
user4 wrote:I realize that I was the first to criticize the Bear's methods, but the truth is, it was that culture of excellence that produced the most productive and greatest nation on earth.

Indeed! That was a message board masterpiece. :lol:
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Though they only played Wake Forest today, Florida State continues to impress me. I've always believed that in order to be considered truly great, a team had to demonstrate consistency, and not take it easy when playing inferior opponents. Today, Florida State led 42-0 at halftime, before Jimbo Fisher called off the dogs and cruised to a 59-3 win. Two weeks ago, they led 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter against North Carolina State, before Fisher shut it down en route to a 49-17 win. The last team that was this dominant from wire to wire was the 1995 Cornhuskers, whose closest game was a 14-point win. Can the Seminoles keep it up until January 6?
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:32 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Can the Seminoles keep it up until January 6?

The Magic 8-Ball says, "It is decidedly so."
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:12 pm

FYI, over the last 32 years, the visiting team is 22-9-1 (70.3%) in the LSU-Alabama series. So far, I haven't been able to figure out the reason behind this fluky stat.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:04 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Indeed! That was a message board masterpiece. :lol:

Only One thing worse than making a logical falacy and that is seeing one where there is none .
user4

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:31 pm

user4 wrote: Only One thing worse than making a logical falacy and that is seeing one where there is none .

No offense, bro; it just amused me greatly.
Marlow

Postby user4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 pm

For Two years now I have been wondering how notre dame could be stuck with such a talentless qb.....tonight has been more of the same .
user4

Postby Pego » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:43 am

jazzcyclist wrote:John Calipari perfectly understands the modern athlete.

I hope, this post is not going to hijack the thread.

Kentucky in the past few years has metamorphosed into a 1-year NBA transition camp for a top notch high school talent. I fully understand realities of today's elite college athletics, but Kentucky no longer even resembles college basketball.
Pego

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:43 am

Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:John Calipari perfectly understands the modern athlete.

I hope, this post is not going to hijack the thread.

Kentucky in the past few years has metamorphosed into a 1-year NBA transition camp for a top notch high school talent. I fully understand realities of today's elite college athletics, but Kentucky no longer even resembles college basketball.

But jazz never said that Calipari understands the "student-athlete".
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:17 am

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:He simply weeded out those who couldn't hang. Not unlike boot camp. It's a time tested method that has always been successful.

BS Alert. Kenny Hall couldn't hang? Really? The Bear was a bully and his methods would get him fired today. Saban is a better coach, and he's not even the best out there.

Saban is not a better coach, that's ridiculous.

Yes the Bear would have to tone it done a bit in today sissy world but he'd still be the roughest/gruffest coach out there. And that would land plenty of players since he would be winning.

There are al ot of athletes who want it hard, just ask fighters/MMAers, they don't want it easy.
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am

Dixon wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Yes the Bear would have to tone it done a bit in today sissy world but he'd still be the roughest/gruffest coach out there. And that would land plenty of players since he would be winning.

You dont have to be a fan of the Bear's 50s coaching style to see that the Bear would adapt and win in any era. I think Dixon has a point, when guys go through hell and come back out of it better than they were, they have no fears facing a football game and they can execute flawlessly under apparent pressure. That old school model once controlled countless institutions from the academic to the military. While it has laregly been purged it survives as the basis of many military special forces worldwide. The US Navy Seals are the last remaining archetype of it.
Last edited by user4 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:21 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:
Marlow wrote:

You dont have to be a fan of the Bear's 50s coaching style to see that the Bear would adapt and win in any era.

I can't believe anyone into/knowledgeable about the college game can even debate/question about Bear Bryant. The guy simply knew how to get it done.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:27 am

Alabama vs Chattanooga

Now just what are those two teams going to be doing next week? What....looking at film, game planning...why? Just what are those Chattanooga coachs going to be talking about? When they know everyone knows they stand no chance at all to hang within 30 (and I'm being nice). This is totally/completely ridiculous.Those young men at Chattanooga don't deserve to be treated this way.

What does Saban do this week getting ready for Chattanooga? This really is stupid.

I guess people really will do anything for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Living 100 or so miles south from Fresno I get to see all their games. Keep in mind I watch every game I can yep even SWAC/MEAC action (that's a whole other kind of football, trust me) and I'm telling ya, if there is a better QB/receiver gang inn the nation I don't know who that would be, yep not even Baylor.

Derek Carr is on par with any QB in the nation, dead serious. Devante Adams and Isaiah Burse are incredible athletes then there's Josh Harper another stud receiver. What the Bulldogs don't have is a speed at running back/receiving backs. And I doubt their D could hang with the elite teams.

If ya get a chance check the Bulldogs out.
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby user4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:29 am

Dixon wrote:Alabama vs Chattanooga

Now just what are those two teams going to be doing next week? What....looking at film, game planning...why? Just what are those Chattanooga coachs going to be talking about? When they know everyone knows they stand a no chance at all to hang within 30 (and I'm being nice). This is totally/completely ridiculous.Those young men at Chattanooga don't deserve to be treated this way.

What does Saban do this week getting ready for Chattanooga? This really is stupid.

Im guessing he uses it to try some new things and more importantly get some of the back-up players in the mix. You never know who is going to get injured in the big bowl game and you want to exercise the whole depth chart.

The tragedy here is that the second and third string Alabama players just as in the Bear's day, are way too much for a Chattanooga.
user4

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:51 am

user4 wrote:
Dixon wrote:Alabama vs Chattanooga

Now just what are those two teams going to be doing next week? What....looking at film, game planning...why? Just what are those Chattanooga coachs going to be talking about? When they know everyone knows they stand a no chance at all to hang within 30 (and I'm being nice). This is totally/completely ridiculous.Those young men at Chattanooga don't deserve to be treated this way.

Im guessing he uses it to try some new things and more importantly get some of the back-up players in the mix. You never know who is going to get injured in the big bowl game and you want to exercise the whole depth chart.

The tragedy here is that the second and third string Alabama players just as in the Bear's day, are way too much for a Chattanooga.

There is no thought of any kind of the players involved in these kinds of games. What about the...mercy rule? Where's the compassion? I challenge anyone on this board to give me the name of any Chattanooga player in the NFL without Google? I do have...one....Terrell Owens. Now who else?

We all know about the $$$$$ thing but I don't care, some things need to go beyond just $$$$$$.

I saw a call yesterday in the Fresno game that was crazy. Receiver catchs the ball and if nobody is there is gone, well somebody was there and simply hit him with a shoulder knocking him down. THAT IS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....and we saw a penalty and as ejection from the game, which after review didn't hold up because it was real obvious he hit with a shoulder but it was still a penalty....FOR WHAT????????????? So we are now that worried over injury yet don't care about humiliation, it's crazy!
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:06 am

Dixon wrote: Yes the Bear would have to tone it done a bit in today sissy world but he'd still be the roughest/gruffest coach out there. And that would land plenty of players since he would be winning.

There are al ot of athletes who want it hard, just ask fighters/MMAers, they don't want it easy.

What evidence is there to suggest that the Bear would have been any more successful in the modern era than Bobby Knight, and keep in mind that basketball coaches only need to find 12 "athletes who want it hard", not 85 like football coaches do?
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:12 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote: Yes the Bear would have to tone it done a bit in today sissy world but he'd still be the roughest/gruffest coach out there. And that would land plenty of players since he would be winning.

What evidence is there to suggest that the Bear would have been any more successful in the modern era than Bobby Knight, and keep in mind that basketball coaches only need to find 12 "athletes who want it hard", not 85 like football coaches do?

The Bear took his era and mastered it, he knew what it took to excell in that world. I have no doubts he'd be doing that in any era/situation he simply knew how to get things done.

He could have lived/coached at anytime in history and rule his domain. The guy was a leader who knew what he was doing.

Why are you fighting this so hard? It isn't real obvious Bear Bryant was a hell of a man/coach? What he gets dumb because it's 2013?
Dixon

PreviousNext