2013 College Football

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

2013 College Football

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Here's the preseason Top-25 Coaches' Poll with first place votes in parentheses:

1 Alabama (58)
    2 Ohio State (3)
    3 Oregon
    4 Stanford
    5 Georgia
    6 Texas A&M (1)
    7 South Carolina
    8 Clemson
    9 Louisville
    10 Florida
    11 Notre Dame
    12 Florida State
    13 LSU
    14 Oklahoma State
    15 Texas
    16 Oklahoma
    17 Michigan
    18 Nebraska
    19 Boise State
    20 TCU
    21 UCLA
    22 Northwestern
    23 Wisconsin
    24 USC
    25 Oregon State
Based on recent news reports, I'm quite certain that Texas A&M is ranked too high. Kudos to Boise State for starting out the season ranked for the fifth year in a row.
jazzcyclist

Re: 2013 College Football

Postby Marlow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:36 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Here's the preseason Top-25 Coaches' Poll
    3 Oregon
    4 Stanford
Another epic game brewing if they can avoid an early misstep.
This must be the highest pre-season rank ever for the Red Tree Farmers!
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:24 pm

It took me years to finally settle on one college football mag to read, that would be....Lindy's College Preview. It's all there, everything you want to know about all the Divisions.

Here is Lindy's top 25. This came out about a month ago.

1.Alabama
2.Ohio State
3.Stanford
4.Oregon
5.Texas A&M
6.Georgia
7.Clemson
8.LSU
9.South Carolina
10.Louisville
11.Oklahoma State
12.Florida
13.FSU
14.ND
15.Oklahoma
16.Michigan
17.Boise State
18.Texas
19.Baylor
20.Michigan State
21.Nebraska
22.TCU
23.UCLA
24.Miami
25.USC

...rankings to 125.

Have to give Bama props for starting off on the road vs Virginia Tech and Texas A&M. Not a fan of these power teams playing the Savannah States.

I've always wondered what young man would want to move to Boise Idaho.

While those other divisions don't have teams to compete with most division I schools they do have some players. The NFL is full of them. Joe Flacco Delaware a great example.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:18 pm

In an effort to bring democracy to college football, Les Miles held a team vote to decide whether or not to reinstate his ne'er-do-well, stud running back to the team. How progressive of Miles, to break from the tradition of college football coaches running their teams like totalitarian dictators. After all, this isn't communist China. :roll:

Unfortunately for Miles, at least one local sportswriter doesn't share his "progressive" outlook, not to mention the leniency of two LSU alumni judges who spared this running back from serving jail time.
Hill has now heard the word “probation” so much, he pronounces it like Adam Sandler – “Get arrested again – Pro-ba-CHEON again!”

What’s next? Double secret probation?

So how much trouble is Hill in now, Judge Erwin and Judge Jackson? THIS far away from ruining his life with the finger and thumb now milli-millimeters apart? Good job judges.

By the time Hill is done “serving,” he will have been on probation longer than the Miami football program. He also has enough community service hours ticketed now to build that I-10 loop they keep talking about.

Then before anyone could say, “Grease the wheels of justice,” Hill was putting his helmet on back at LSU. He passed go. He collected his equipment. He did not go to jail.

LSU coach Les Miles said the team voted him back on unanimously, and if he would not have won the election he would not be back. Really? He didn’t tell you that anyone who dissented who wasn’t a starter would be suspended.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/ ... ck_check=1

Not surprisingly, TCU coach Gary Patterson isn't a fan of Miles' brand of college football democracy either.

Well, Gary Patterson, who has suspended the best player on his team, Devonte Fields, for the LSU game, doesn't really agree with Miles' decision.

“My whole team would vote Devonte to be back on the team because they all want to win,” Patterson told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “That doesn't teach life lessons.”

Patterson also intimated that the reason Miles didn't suspend Hill was because LSU is facing TCU and not some FCS school.

“I'm sure if it was some opponent they'd beat by 100 points [the players] wouldn't have a vote," Patterson said. "It's not my worry. I've got to play whoever they put on the field.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ry-actions
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Never been a fan of this....life lessons...stuff. We all know what's really going on here, it's all about winning football games. These players come and go while the coachs try to keep a job. Trying to teach... life lessons.... is what mom and dad are for.

Yes I know, certain things must be said.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:54 pm

The NCAA continues to reach new heights of ridiculousness. Johnny Manziel has been suspended for the first half of the Rice game despite the NCAA's insinstence that it believes that he never sold autographs for money. The obvious question is why suspend him for one minute if he's really innocent of wrongdoing?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -rice-owls
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Dixon wrote:Never been a fan of this....life lessons...stuff. We all know what's really going on here, it's all about winning football games. These players come and go while the coachs try to keep a job. Trying to teach... life lessons.... is what mom and dad are for.

Well, some are better left unsaid . . . a football coach has a POWERful influence on a kid's character. IMO, Miles is dead wrong here.
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:45 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:The NCAA continues to reach new heights of ridiculousness. Johnny Manziel has been suspended for the first half of the Rice game despite the NCAA's insinstence that it believes that he never sold autographs for money. The obvious question is why suspend him for one minute if he's really innocent of wrongdoing?

co-sign
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Marlow wrote:
Dixon wrote:Never been a fan of this....life lessons...stuff. We all know what's really going on here, it's all about winning football games. These players come and go while the coachs try to keep a job. Trying to teach... life lessons.... is what mom and dad are for.

Well, some are better left unsaid . . . a football coach has a POWERful influence on a kid's character. IMO, Miles is dead wrong here.

I have mixed emotions, the bottom line is...win football games....yep as hard edged as that sounds. It's not about teaching life lessons..as hard edged as that sounds. These coaches are in the winning football games business not child developement. But...some things must be done to give the proper appearence.

I honestly believe most coachs couldn't care less how many wayward thugs they have out there as long as they are winning.
Dixon

Postby Bob Duncan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Well, here in Alabama, we have one state religion. :D That little veterinary school on the east side of the state doesn't factor into things most of the time.

My friends from UGA say we've got a "pussy schedule" this year but I'm already worried about the rematch with Johnny Football in a couple of weeks.

This is the year (like last) that everyone is hoping that the Tide will fall! (Hanging offense in this state)
Bob Duncan

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:36 am

Today's big games:

#5 Georgia @ #8 Clemson
#12 @ LSU @ #20 TCU
Mississippi State @ #13 Oklahoma State
#1 Alabama @ Virginia Tech
#19 Boise State @ Washington

By the way, Kirk Herbstreit just went out on the limb and picked Toledo to upset Florida in the Swamp and ULL to upset Arkansas in Fayetteville. Anybody else want to make any predictions for today or the season?
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:51 am

Dixon wrote:I have mixed emotions, the bottom line is...win football games....yep as hard edged as that sounds. It's not about teaching life lessons..as hard edged as that sounds.

In the pros, sure. That is NOT what schools are for.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:24 am

Nick Saban told Chris Fowler that he knew all along that the NCAA's investigation of Johnny Manziel was just a dog-and-pony show and that there was never any doubt by anyone on his coaching staff that Manziel would play against Alabama.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:40 am

Dixon wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:The NCAA continues to reach new heights of ridiculousness. Johnny Manziel has been suspended for the first half of the Rice game despite the NCAA's insinstence that it believes that he never sold autographs for money. The obvious question is why suspend him for one minute if he's really innocent of wrongdoing?

co-sign

Third. Utterly ridiculous. Not to mention that Manziel is my fantasy star that won me our little league last year :D .
Pego

Postby Marlow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:37 am

jazzcyclist wrote:The obvious question is why suspend him for one minute if he's really innocent of wrongdoing?

After the summer he had? Just on general DS principles!

Coach: Don't you think you need to sit the first half?
JF: Why? The NCAA cleared me!
Coach: How was your summer?
JF: Well, I . . . uh . . . um.
Coach: Is there something you want to say?
JF: Yeah, I think I should sit out the first half.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:27 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:The obvious question is why suspend him for one minute if he's really innocent of wrongdoing?

After the summer he had? Just on general DS principles!

Coach: Don't you think you need to sit the first half?
JF: Why? The NCAA cleared me!
Coach: How was your summer?
JF: Well, I . . . uh . . . um.
Coach: Is there something you want to say?
JF: Yeah, I think I should sit out the first half.

I don't think Kevin Sumlin had any sayso in the matter, it was all handled by people above his head. One thing that I heard this morning that actually made me sympathetic to Manziel and think less of A&M, is something Chris Fowler said. According to him, during the off-season, Texas A&M forced Manziel to fly all over the country to meet with corporate sponsors and other movers and shakers and at the Texas A&M awards banquet, they charged $20,000 per plate for boosters to sit at the table with him. Fowler deplored what they did and so did Desmond Howard, Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso who were hearing the story for the first time. Howard said that it was unfathomable to him that Bo Schembechler would have ever allowed him to be exploited in that manner after he won the Heisman Trophy.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:23 am

List me among the cynical here. I'm betting that even my beloved squeaky clean Stanford milked Andrew Luck for all he was worth in booster fund-raising. And I bet that Luck was glad to do it!!
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:34 am

Marlow wrote:List me among the cynical here. I'm betting that even my beloved squeaky clean Stanford milked Andrew Luck for all he was worth in booster fund-raising. And I bet that Luck was glad to do it!!

Do you think they made him miss classes to go meet with corporate sponsors? Of course schools use athletes to fund raise, but the Aggies crossed the line IMO.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:01 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Do you think they made him miss classes to go meet with corporate sponsors? Of course schools use athletes to fund raise, but the Aggies crossed the line IMO.

In my somewhat limited knowledge of how big-time D1 football works (my only first-hand knowledge is from privileged glimpses into the Fla and FSU programs), missing classes/exams is the rule, not the exception . . . even for what seem non-game-related situations. I've heard (I think most real college football fans have) some real horror stories of how far down the totem pole real academics falls in football season.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:25 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Do you think they made him miss classes to go meet with corporate sponsors? Of course schools use athletes to fund raise, but the Aggies crossed the line IMO.

In my somewhat limited knowledge of how big-time D1 football works (my only first-hand knowledge is from privileged glimpses into the Fla and FSU programs), missing classes/exams is the rule, not the exception . . . even for what seem non-game-related situations. I've heard (I think most real college football fans have) some real horror stories of how far down the totem pole real academics falls in football season.

You still didn't answer my question. Furthermore, track & field athletes at LSU miss far more classes for track meets than football players miss for football games, and I would assume it's the same way at Florida and Florida State. Missing classes for competition is not the issue. Desmond Howard indicated where Schembechler would have drawn the line, but I think the same thing can be said for Woody Hayes, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, Joe Paterno and even Nick Saban. Keep in mind that according Fowler, Manziel was ordered to make these appearances and had no choice in the matter, and I'm pretty certain that Oliver Luck wouldn't have approved if Stanford had given his son that type of directive.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:01 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:t I think the same thing can be said for Woody Hayes, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, Joe Paterno and even Nick Saban.
Keep in mind that according Fowler, Manziel was ordered to make these appearances and had no choice in the matter, and I'm pretty certain that Oliver Luck wouldn't have approved if Stanford had given his son that type of directive.

Neither of us know. I think Fowler is trying too hard to paint A&M as bad guys. I think it's all part of the (D1 aggrandized greater) game.
Marlow

Postby Marlow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:32 pm

So JF draws an unsportmanlike penalty and Lou Holtz has a hissy fit melt-down. JF is still a punk kid and he'll make some punk kid mistakes. The coach yanked from the game, as he should have. But as long as the white-hot spotlight remains on JF, we will continue to see a college kid act like a college kid. Not every kid is a Tim Tebow. :wink:
JF is his own worst enemy, but I actually feel sorry for him. In case anyone hasn't noticed, he acts like MOST college jocks. And yeah, he has to act better as a 'role model', but to paraphrase Chas Barkley, '“I'm not a role model... Just because I can throw and run with a football, doesn't mean I should raise your kids.”
Marlow

Postby gh » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:19 pm

gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Marlow wrote:So JF draws an unsportmanlike penalty and Lou Holtz has a hissy fit melt-down. JF is still a punk kid and he'll make some punk kid mistakes. The coach yanked from the game, as he should have. But as long as the white-hot spotlight remains on JF, we will continue to see a college kid act like a college kid. Not every kid is a Tim Tebow. :wink:
JF is his own worst enemy, but I actually feel sorry for him. In case anyone hasn't noticed, he acts like MOST college jocks. And yeah, he has to act better as a 'role model', but to paraphrase Chas Barkley, '“I'm not a role model... Just because I can throw and run with a football, doesn't mean I should raise your kids.”

The only things you said that I agree with are that that Manziel is a punk and he's his own worst enemy. That to whom much has been given much is expected and Manziel was given socio-economic privilege and athletic ability far beyond that of most college football players. I also have to point the finger at Kevin Sumlin for letting him get this out of control. There's no way Manziel would try this crap if Saban was his coach.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:20 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:The only things you said that I agree with are that that Manziel is a punk and he's his own worst enemy.

Which, of course, were central to my point.
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm

I love the passion/fire Johnny Football brings, it does rub off on his teammates. He can be a punk just as long as he is a winning punk. If his behavior starts getting in the way of that winning, now there is a problem.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:31 pm

Dixon wrote:I love the passion/fire Johnny Football brings, it does rub off on his teammates. He can be a punk just as long as he is a winning punk. If his behavior starts getting in the way of that winning, now there is a problem.

Watching Texas A&M today reminded me so much of Miami of the late 80's and early 90's, and Kevin Sumlin is the new Dennis Erickson.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:10 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:I love the passion/fire Johnny Football brings, it does rub off on his teammates. He can be a punk just as long as he is a winning punk. If his behavior starts getting in the way of that winning, now there is a problem.

Watching Texas A&M today reminded me so much of Miami of the late 80's and early 90's, and Kevin Sumlin is the new Dennis Erickson.

You gotta be kidding me, I thought that exact same thing. I like it and would love to see more teams bring some attitude/swag/thuggism (within reason).

Can't wait to see Johnny Football vs Alabama. I just hope he doesn't do something stupid between now and then.

Bama without that power back with speed and the O line looks down in 2013.
Dixon

Postby Pego » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:08 am

Marlow wrote:Not every kid is a Tim Tebow

Oh, Canada - or Oh, arena :wink: .
Pego

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:41 am

Pego wrote:

If he keeps insisting he's a pro QB, not even. Tight end or fullback, he'd work.
Marlow

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:

If he keeps insisting he's a pro QB, not even. Tight end or fullback, he'd work.

TE....assuming he can run a route and catch on a football field...maybe.

FULLBACK????? I see this suggested all of the time with Tebow presumably by those who feel, for whatever reason, this guy just has to be able to play. It's almost like a parent of a youth league player who it finally dawns on that little Johnny just may not have that college scholarship quite locked up just yet. "Can't you find someplace for him to play?"

FULLBACK????? This guy is going to run up into the hole on every play and attempt to punk a LBer?

Can the guy kick?
Dutra5

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:38 am

Dutra5 wrote:FULLBACK????? This guy is going to run up into the hole on every play and attempt to punk a LBer?

??!!
NFL fullbacks are primarily blocking backs and TT could do that very well. Plus, he's always an option threat.
Marlow

Postby jhc68 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:07 am

Tebow is toast.
What are the odds that Manziel self-destructs before the end of the season?
Or that the Bama defense destroys him before he can do it for himself?
jhc68

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:25 am

Marlow wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:FULLBACK????? This guy is going to run up into the hole on every play and attempt to punk a LBer?

??!!
NFL fullbacks are primarily blocking backs and TT could do that very well. Plus, he's always an option threat.

Which is exactly what I said...except for the very well part. What is it that he's demonstrated that he's capable or willing to run headfirst into a LBer 50 plays a game?
Dutra5

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Dutra5 wrote:What is it that he's demonstrated that he's capable or willing to run headfirst into a LBer 50 plays a game?

You didn't catch any Gator games on the telly, did you?
Marlow

Postby beebee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Johnny Football? The name alone screams arrogant collegiate punk. I cannot wait until he gets to the NFL(and that's an if...Tebow was a two time Heisman winner) and regularly line up against very angry grown professional men bigger, faster and more athletic than he is. You'd never see Manning, Brady or even youngsters Luck or RGIII acting so foolish...they know better.
beebee

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:34 pm

beebee wrote:Johnny Football? The name alone screams arrogant collegiate punk.

You DO know that he did NOT give himself that name, right? His legend began with a CBS profile in mid-season, in which The Legend of Johnny Football had already spiraled our of control on the Aggie campus. "I once saw him" . . . followed by a ridiculously impossible football feat, over and over, exactly like the "Chuck Norris is So Tough" meme.

And make no mistake, the kid IS the best college football player in the nation. Whether that pans out in the NFL remains to be seen.
Marlow

Postby beebee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Marlow wrote:
beebee wrote:Johnny Football? The name alone screams arrogant collegiate punk.

You DO know that he did NOT give himself that name, right? His legend began with a CBS profile in mid-season, in which The Legend of Johnny Football had already spiraled our of control on the Aggie campus. "I once saw him" . . . followed by a ridiculously impossible football feat, over and over, exactly like the "Chuck Norris is So Tough" meme.

And make no mistake, the kid IS the best college football player in the nation. Whether that pans out in the NFL remains to be seen.

No way is Manziel college football's best player. Clowney from South Carolina is rated far higher. Don't buy into the hype...many heisman winners turn out to be absolute dogs(tebow).
beebee

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:19 pm

beebee wrote: Don't buy into the hype...many heisman winners turn out to be absolute dogs(tebow).

No hype, just play.
Tebow - at Florida - was the best player, i.e., had the greatest impact on his (elite) team.
NFL? Bust.
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:26 pm

beebee wrote:

Johnny Football? The name alone screams arrogant collegiate punk. I cannot wait until he gets to the NFL(and that's an if...Tebow was a two time Heisman winner) and regularly line up against very angry grown professional men bigger, faster and more athletic than he is. You'd never see Manning, Brady or even youngsters Luck or RGIII acting so foolish...they know better.

I couldn't care less about his NFL career or if he even has one. I'm having fun watching this kid. He brings something unique and that's cool with me. I like this....what is this kid going to do next?

How's that goe....It's better to flame out than fade away.....something like that :D
Last edited by Dixon on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dixon

Next