DrJay on NPR

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

DrJay on NPR

Postby DrJay » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 am

Our medical practice has been looking at electronic health records (EHRs) since last September (we haven't had one yet.) I've been the point guy. Someone gave our group's name to a Colorado Public Radio reporter, Eric Whitney. He's done some medical reporting and I think one or more stories on EHRs. He wanted to do a story on the EHR search/selection process and spent time interviewing me, my partners, the nursing staff, our front office folks, the dog, and the cat, and recorded part of a couple of vendor meetings. He put together his story and it is supposed to air on NPR's "All Things Considered" this Wednesday, the 17th. It will also be archived online, with a slide show to go with it. Hopefully I/we will sound competent.
DrJay

Re: DrJay on NPR

Postby tandfman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 am

As a generation younger than mine would say (or at least would text)--kul.
tandfman

Postby kuha » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am

Great! I'll try to catch it!!
kuha

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up. 8-)
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:28 pm

I heard the first of the series (I am guessing) today on NPR. I was interested because Epic Systems is from Madison and I know the husband of the founder/president/primary owner, Judy Faulkner. They are now the biggest private employer in the area, adding staff regularly and continually adding to their new (fabulous-for-Madison) campus.

Her husband (Gordon) was merely an MD with at least one prior PhD; he was a pretty good runner and is still a very good skier, although at about 71 with muscle issues he probably cannot be competitive in the North America. By coincidence, they were also the first ones that knew that my (now-) wife and I were engaged -- they came and sat at the table next to us about 10 minutes later. [a hint for those still to go this route; do not get engaged at the beginning of dinner, it is very hard to had an ordinary conversation over the latter part of dinner even if she says "yes" :wink: ]

He is also responsible for my coming on this board -- I had a question if anyone had heard of him (I think he was just outside the level of making the top-10 rankings). So, I joined as a poster to ask the question 15,000+ posts ago (batonless relay, you have him to blame :) ).
26mi235

Postby JRM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Very neat! I'll make sure to listen.
JRM

Postby DrJay » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:53 pm

I also heard the story (or the first part of it?) ran today. Just got home so I'll listen online tomorrow (more important to check out the latest in the PEDs and Hasay/Erdman sagas.)
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:51 pm

26mi235 wrote:I heard the first of the series (I am guessing) today on NPR. I was interested because Epic Systems is from Madison and I know the husband of the founder/president/primary owner, Judy Faulkner. They are now the biggest private employer in the area, adding staff regularly and continually adding to their new (fabulous-for-Madison) campus.

Now I know who to contact if we have a flood of problems with the EHR after we launch it next March. The EHR we've chosen is Epic! We'll be able to buy it through Memorial Hospital (now run by U of Colorado Hospital) once they launch it in November (UCH uses Epic now.)
DrJay

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Not that it means much, but my PCP likes it because wherever I go for any treatment within the general system, everything is recorded in a compatible way that he can take in a relatively quick look because of the organization, with links to details. This goes under the heading of anecdote, however.
26mi235