5 More Jamaican positives [and now Damar Robinson]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: 5 More Jamaican positives? [Simpson & Powell?]

Postby Smoke » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:21 am

So let us go back, do we all still believe an athlete is responsible for any and all substances in their bodies? This is an impossible burden of proof. We know that the FDA does not require all substances be listed. And it is not in nefarious products. I refer you all back to the infamous nandrolone cases.

mump there is so much richness in your post, I am chuckling. Glad to see you have come around :roll:
Smoke

Postby t_monk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:23 am

CookyMonzta wrote:
ChitoAZX wrote:Sherone tested positive for the same stimulant as Asafa: oxilofrine.

http://rjrnewsonline.com/local/sherone- ... -drug-test

How big an offense for this drug? A warning? 30 days? 90 days? 2 years? 4 years?

Depending on the explanation.... If it's a case where they can prove they did the relative research regarding the nature of the supplement they took which had the drug they can very well get a slap on the wrist or 3 months.... Especially seeing that it is a stimulant.

That being said, they could also very well get up to 2 years if their story doesn't fly.
t_monk

Postby TrainerPhil » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:26 am

So we have the two sprinters, any word who the three throwers are?
TrainerPhil

Postby Mocra » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:28 am

mump boy wrote:I'm not believing everything i hear on Twitter (although it's been remarkably accurate today) but there is a rumour of another American which would make me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why would that make you laugh? I don't care who the next on is this is (Probably Justin Gatlin). There's absolutely nothing funny when worldclass sprinters get busted for using roids. This is a horrible day for trackandfield.
Mocra

Postby toyracer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:30 am

Fortis4Eva wrote:
toyracer wrote:Information I am receiving is that enquires were made about the content of a supplement and that the club has apparently been mislead by the manufacturer., i.e. they were not told the stimulant was contained as an ingredient.

No idea of the name of the supplement??

No.

The club has NOT confirmed what the source of the stimulant is.

There is truth to the reports of a new supplement.

I can't say much more but the supplement in question was used without endorsement of club officials.
toyracer

Postby Fortis4Eva » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:31 am

toyracer wrote:
Fortis4Eva wrote:
toyracer wrote:Information I am receiving is that enquires were made about the content of a supplement and that the club has apparently been mislead by the manufacturer., i.e. they were not told the stimulant was contained as an ingredient.

No idea of the name of the supplement??

No.

The club has NOT confirmed what the source of the stimulant is.

There is truth to the reports of a new supplement.

I can't say much more but the supplement in question was used without endorsement of club officials.

Thanks hopefully we will have some facts soon
Fortis4Eva

Postby batonless relay » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:32 am

There is no other reason to take some of these supplements than to skirt the edge of eligibility. That being the case, why take them? It shouldn't matter whether you've done the research on the product or not, or if it was mislabeled, what we do know is that had they not ingested it, it wouldn't be in their system. It may not make them a willful cheat, but intention should have little or nothing to do with why someone gets banned.
Smoke wrote:... do we all still believe an athlete is responsible for any and all substances in their bodies? This is an impossible burden of proof...

Surely, you're joking? Impossible burden? It's burden-less; it's easy to prove something is in someone's system.
batonless relay

Postby aaronk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:40 am

americantrackfan wrote:
ldnbloke wrote:
mump boy wrote:I'm not believing everything i hear on Twitter (although it's been remarkably accurate today) but there is a rumour of another American which would make me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your lols make me think it's not the one I'd exhibit schadenfreude about.

Don't know what schadenfreude means, but even the most naive person would say i told you so if it's true

My Webster's Collegiate Dictionary defines "schadenfreude" as......
enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others.

As in all the clean 10.5 and 11.5 sprinters now gleefully dreaming of actually medaling in Moscow!!
aaronk

Postby TrackTeacher_AP » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:41 am

Sounds like this will be just like when Yohan Blake and Mike Rodgers got caught taking stimulants.. They'll get a slap on the wrist and that's it. I feel like if it is banned the punishment should be much more harsh however when you have already set such a lax precedent you cannot treat this case any differently.
TrackTeacher_AP

Postby wineturtle » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:53 am

ChitoAZX wrote:Sherone tested positive for the same stimulant as Asafa: oxilofrine.

http://rjrnewsonline.com/local/sherone- ... -drug-test

Seems like someone put pineapple juice in the pineapple juice.
wineturtle

Postby shivfan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:57 am

I've always liked Asafa and Sherone...this news saddens me as well.
:(
shivfan

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 pm

TrackTeacher_AP wrote:Sounds like this will be just like when Yohan Blake and Mike Rodgers got caught taking stimulants.. They'll get a slap on the wrist and that's it. I feel like if it is banned the punishment should be much more harsh however when you have already set such a lax precedent you cannot treat this case any differently.

Murder and stealing $5 are both crimes - they merit the same punishment? I hope you are never a teacher for my kids.
26mi235

Postby shivfan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 pm

There's a Jamaican sprinter I like who has been posting some good times recently....I really hope he's okay.
:(
shivfan

Postby tm71 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:16 pm

26mi235 wrote:
TrackTeacher_AP wrote:Sounds like this will be just like when Yohan Blake and Mike Rodgers got caught taking stimulants.. They'll get a slap on the wrist and that's it. I feel like if it is banned the punishment should be much more harsh however when you have already set such a lax precedent you cannot treat this case any differently.

Murder and stealing $5 are both crimes - they merit the same punishment? I hope you are never a teacher for my kids.

Totally Agree ! However, this is a track and field message board not a classroom or court of law. I don't get it when people try to inject their own sense of morality into this. Humans are good, bad and indifferent. We all make mistakes or are caught up in bad situations. Then we all get influenced to some extent by others and a good portion of those others might not have our best interest in mind. Just my 2 cents.
tm71

Postby Peter Michaelson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Oxilofrine given as an example in this document from USADA about red flags under bullet point #1:

http://www.usada.org/uploads/redflagspdf.pdf
Peter Michaelson

Postby mump boy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Mocra wrote:

Why would that make you laugh? I don't care who the next on is this is (Probably Justin Gatlin). There's absolutely nothing funny when worldclass sprinters get busted for using roids. This is a horrible day for trackandfield.

It's an amazing day when cheats get caught for every clean athlete out there
mump boy

Postby TrackTeacher_AP » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:33 pm

26mi235 wrote:

Wow you are really trying to imply that murder and stealing are equal to taking ped's? That is complete nonsense. The fact is they took something that enhanced their performance whether knowingly or not, and that may have taken money from everyone they compete with in the form of prize money, appearance fee's, sponsorships, or even race invites.
TrackTeacher_AP

Postby Mocra » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:36 pm

mump boy wrote:
Mocra wrote:

Still not funny. It's just makes the sport look like a joke and more people will have a hard time to believe that anyone is clean and lose interest.
Mocra

Postby beebee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Pathetic little man you are....

Trust me...

Other human beings indiscretions will not make your sad life better.
beebee

Postby Blues » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Like myself and most of the rest of us in here, not all track and field athletes are rocket scientists... The stimulant that's been previously mentioned evidently has a half life of somewhere between 6 and 9 hours... If we use the standard rule that a substance can be detected in a urine drug test for about 5 to 6 half lives, then an athlete could legally take this particular stimulant as early as 54 hours before the competition, get a slight stimulant effect for a few hours after taking it, and possibly still test positive at a meet 2 full days after any stimulant effect had worn off... In cases like that, I'm not so sure that questioning an athlete's integrity, or assuming that the substance still enhances performance, is warranted...
Blues

Postby tm71 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Mocra wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Mocra wrote:

Still not funny. It's just makes the sport look like a joke and more people will have a hard time to believe that anyone is clean and lose interest.

U got a point but like we said cycling has not lost that much despite the numerous scandals. I know a few people from work that still like to bike, follow the sport on tv and in the press and don't disparage lance Armstrong or anyone else. Track and field to some extent has been around since antiquity and people will be interested in competition between humans to see who is fastest and strongest etc regardless of the details. Most people that watch the sport only watch it during the Olympics anyway and that will not change no matter how much positive or negative press the sport gets !
tm71

Postby Pego » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Blues wrote: In cases like that, I'm not so sure that questioning an athlete's integrity, or assuming that the substance still enhances performance, is warranted...

Love it 8-) .
Pego

Postby TrackTeacher_AP » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Blues wrote:Like myself and most of the rest of us in here, not all track and field athletes are rocket scientists... The stimulant that's been previously mentioned evidently has a half life of somewhere between 6 and 9 hours... If we use the standard rule that a substance can be detected in a urine drug test for about 5 to 6 half lives, then an athlete could legally take this particular stimulant as early as 54 hours before the competition, get a slight stimulant effect for a few hours after taking it, and possibly still test positive at a meet 2 full days after any stimulant effect had worn off... In cases like that, I'm not so sure that questioning an athlete's integrity, or assuming that the substance still enhances performance, is warranted...

I am not entirely sure that we can assume that the substance wouldn't have any effect on the performance though. Because there is no way of knowing exactly when said stimulant was taken. A stimulant taken in that 54 hour window would be positive an hour before the test or 50 hours before.
TrackTeacher_AP

Postby tm71 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Blues wrote:Like myself and most of the rest of us in here, not all track and field athletes are rocket scientists... The stimulant that's been previously mentioned evidently has a half life of somewhere between 6 and 9 hours... If we use the standard rule that a substance can be detected in a urine drug test for about 5 to 6 half lives, then an athlete could legally take this particular stimulant as early as 54 hours before the competition, get a slight stimulant effect for a few hours after taking it, and possibly still test positive at a meet 2 full days after any stimulant effect had worn off... In cases like that, I'm not so sure that questioning an athlete's integrity, or assuming that the substance still enhances performance, is warranted...

That is why athletes who take that risk are maybe taking too much of a risk. the penalties and consequences are fairly clear and indeed steep. In a sport where the career span is rarely more than eight years, being out for two years is a significant anount (25 %). I don't imagine many people would want to be unable to work for 5 yrs (if their career spam is 20 yrs) or 10 yrs in a 40
yr career span. Of course in many lines of work u couldn't be out of commission for one year
so much for 5 or 10 yrs.
tm71

Postby betterthanb4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:00 pm

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Tr ... z2Z3U2Qgjh

Trainer of Asafa, Sherone Simpson detained in Italy

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica -- The Observer has been reliably informed that an associate of embattled Jamaican athletes Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson was in the last two hours detained by the Italian police and his room searched at the MVP base in Italy.

Observer sources said that the trainer is being questioned based on the fact that both athletes tested positive for banned substances they ingested from supplements he provided, without any declaration that illegal stimulants might have been in them.

The Canadian recently started working with the athletes and was allegedly brought in to help Powell get over a rash of injuries he has suffered the last few seasons.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Tr ... z2Z3Wayn9c
betterthanb4

Postby jamal00005 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Does SAFP have the same trainer or does she have her personal one along with coach Francis ?
jamal00005

Postby ChitoAZX » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Interesting, I found it odd that both athletes tested positive for the same substance during the national trials. I hope this turns out good for them.
ChitoAZX

Postby CookyMonzta » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:18 pm

betterthanb4 wrote:http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Trainer-of-Asafa--Sherone-Simpson-detained-in-Italy#ixzz2Z3U2Qgjh

Trainer of Asafa, Sherone Simpson detained in Italy

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica -- The Observer has been reliably informed that an associate of embattled Jamaican athletes Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson was in the last two hours detained by the Italian police and his room searched at the MVP base in Italy.

Observer sources said that the trainer is being questioned based on the fact that both athletes tested positive for banned substances they ingested from supplements he provided, without any declaration that illegal stimulants might have been in them.

The Canadian recently started working with the athletes and was allegedly brought in to help Powell get over a rash of injuries he has suffered the last few seasons.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Tr ... z2Z3Wayn9c

Was this trainer in any way ever associated with Charlie Francis?
CookyMonzta

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 pm

tm71 wrote: I don't imagine many people would want to be unable to work for 5 yrs (if their career spam is 20 yrs)

But they can work. No one's stopping them from getting a job in McDonalds.
Flumpy

Postby Mocra » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:36 pm

U got a point but like we said cycling has not lost that much despite the numerous scandals. I know a few people from work that still like to bike, follow the sport on tv and in the press and don't disparage lance Armstrong or anyone else. Track and field to some extent has been around since antiquity and people will be interested in competition between humans to see who is fastest and strongest etc regardless of the details. Most people that watch the sport only watch it during the Olympics anyway and that will not change no matter how much positive or negative press the sport gets

People will obviously continue to watch but when two of the biggest names in the biggest event in track get busted it does hurt the sport a lot. Track already has a bad reputation and this will not help to clean up the image that's for sure. This is now big news all over the world. Here in Sweden Asafa and Tyson are all over the place for or all the wrong reasons. I refuse to read the comments cause I already know how much trash they will say about track. Now I'm watching Sky News and the big story is guess what...Two of the biggest stars in track Tyson and Powell failed drug test. It just makes every other sprinter look very suspicious and the sprint world is back at rock bottom when it comes to credibility. If you can't trust two humble hardworking classy guys like Powell and Tyson then who can you really trust??" Haha I told you they are all drug cheat" "You can't run that fast clean" "Bolt is next" and blablablabla that's what most random people say right now. I really can't see how anyone who's truly a fan of this sport can think what happened today is funny. It's just gets more and more difficult to defend the sport. I've been a fan of both Tyson and Powell for severel years and always thought they were honest and clean. Now I don't know what to believe anymore. They could very well have destroyed their legacy...I mean have they been cheating their entire career? At the end of the day this is a horrible day for track and field.
Mocra

Postby cladthin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:43 pm

By trainer do they mean an athletic trainer/physiotherapist or a strength coach? From the statement about helping AP to get over a rash injuries I would assume the first.
cladthin

Postby tm71 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Flumpy wrote:
tm71 wrote: I don't imagine many people would want to be unable to work for 5 yrs (if their career spam is 20 yrs)

Easy for any of us, armchair analysts, to say.
tm71

Postby gh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Looks like Traves Smickel and Demar Robinson.
gh

Postby ATK » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:58 pm

gh wrote:Looks like Traves Smickel and Demar Robinson.

So that brings us to 4 since Carter is still just speculation at this point.
ATK

Postby jamal00005 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:59 pm

ATK wrote:

It seems Carter is in the clear atm according to the new report i just watched
jamal00005

Postby tm71 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:01 pm

ATK wrote:

Phil hersh in his article claims that an English paper reported that carter was also named. Of course I am hesitant to trust hersh, the english paper or anyone else.
tm71

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:04 pm

tm71 wrote:
Flumpy wrote:

Easy for any of us, armchair analysts, to say.

And easy for them to do - this is a real bugbear of mine! Track owes no one a living - whomever you are, however good you might be. The sooner people accept this and cut the 'restraint of trade' crap the better. If people learnt to accept this reality, they might be a little less inclined to find ways to stop themselves getting paid to run round an oval

Just because you're good at English doesn't mean a publisher should give you a job, let alone if you were caught plagiarising work. Simple.
jjimbojames

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:07 pm

TrackTeacher_AP wrote:
26mi235 wrote:

Wow you are really trying to imply that murder and stealing are equal to taking ped's? That is complete nonsense. The fact is they took something that enhanced their performance whether knowingly or not, and that may have taken money from everyone they compete with in the form of prize money, appearance fee's, sponsorships, or even race invites.

Didn't do well on those SAT word analogies did we? I did not equate either to doping, I de-equated one vs the other, just like not all doping positives are the same offense.
26mi235

Postby ATK » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:17 pm

tm71 wrote:
ATK wrote:

Phil hersh in his article claims that an English paper reported that carter was also named. Of course I am hesitant to trust hersh, the english paper or anyone else.

Actually, I kind of spoke to soo. We technically only have 2 since gh didn't provide a source for Smickel and Robinson (and I cant find one myself).

Any source gh?
ATK

Re: 5 More Jamaican positives [Simpson & Powell big names]

Postby toyracer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:19 pm

The usually very reliable Gleaner reporter Andre Lowe has reported the names of Smikle and Robinson.
toyracer

PreviousNext