Web advertising

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Web advertising

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:51 pm

This morning I searched the web for store brands split pea soups, including Amazon.com. Now I see the Amazon.com banner with a few cans of split pea soup on top of the T&FN message board. It just blows me down how that gets integrated and how fast.
Pego

Re: Web advertising

Postby jhc68 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:04 pm

That's because there is lots of money at stake !!!
Couple of people in my immediate family work for a corp that is a major player in placing banner ads for huge companies on privately owned websites.
Whenever anyone clicks through and buys something then everyone involved gets maybe a nickel. But there are literally millions upon millions of nickels at play.
jhc68

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Financial aspect I understand. How does that banner recognize my shopping behavior on a different website than its own?
Pego

Postby mcgato » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:39 pm

mcgato

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Tracking cookies, I get it (well, not really :oops: ). Thanks 8-) .
Pego

Postby smc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Pego wrote:This morning I searched the web for store brands split pea soups, including Amazon.com. Now I see the Amazon.com banner with a few cans of split pea soup on top of the T&FN message board. It just blows me down how that gets integrated and how fast.

Going on a tangent here, but are you talking about canned split pea soup? I'd be interested to know if you found a really good one.
smc

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 pm

We used to buy store brands (generic) such as Flavorite, Roundy's, IGA, Red Owl...that we liked better than the national Campbell brand. They all seem to be gone with the wind. I am talking about solid, paste-like consistency that you can use as a side-dish, not the soup per se.
Pego

Postby smc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Gotcha. I've heard that Healthy Choice and Progresso are good, but I don't know about the thickness.
smc

Postby Master Po » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:20 pm

I have no contributions re split pea soup, but I am impressed that the banner ads associated with your Web browsing have an actual recognizable connection with said browsing. My response to most of what I am shown via banner & border ads is, "Really? What in the world have I looked at that makes you think I am interested in that?"
:)
Master Po

Postby wineturtle » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:10 pm

The low sodium Frozen Tabatchnick Split Pea is actually pretty good.

I have some friends who still model and I wind up dragging a variety of odd, for me anyway, products services etc along with me when I look at their latest work. Of course they often are in ads that target the ear hair demographic and I am it :wink:
wineturtle