Most blown call in sports

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Most blown call in sports

Postby BillVol » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm sure I could have picked a better subject heading. Anyhow, my dad and I were talking about this today. How often do you see a runner in baseball clearly slide around a tag but get called out only because the ball beat him to the bag. And the official will have a perfect angle on the play, but still call the runner out! The person attempting the tag will always act out like he made the tag easily. Happens all the time.

There are other blown calls in sports: block/charge in basketball and it is said that officials could call holding on every play in football... But I'm not sure there is a call more blatantly blown than the baseball situation.

As for track, what is the most blown call? Drifting out of one's lane? False starts?
BillVol

Re: Most blown call in sports

Postby KDFINE » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:57 pm

There were more than a few "blown" field event calls in Moscow in 1980. This should maybe be on Historical.
As forThings not Track and Field, Don Larson's last pitch to Dale Mitchell was not a strike, and Yogi will say that Robinson was out at the plate.
Maradona's "Hand of god."
KDFINE

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Traveling in basketball. Never called.
tandfman

Postby Vielleicht » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm

As an aerial delivery comes from a freekick or corner in association football, everyone is tugging the shirt of the man he marks/by whom he's being marked, seldom called unless very blatant and clearly impeding.
Vielleicht

Postby dj » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 pm

tandfman wrote:Traveling in basketball. Never called.

Palming, even worse than traveling.
dj

Postby jhc68 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Total agreement with traveling and palming.
Based on the rules of B-Ball I was taught back in the day, all modern games would be 0-0 ties because every time the ball gets brought up court would result in a violation and a turn over before anyone takes a shot.
I also love the NBA 20-second time outs, which generally last about 2 and a half minutes.
jhc68

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 pm

KDFINE wrote:Maradona's "Hand of god."

That may well be the most infamous in soccer.

Blatant offside in soccer that leads to a goal is pretty bad. I seem to remember Italy losing a few goals that way in the world cup. Or when the ball crosses the goal line and bounces out, but the goal is not awarded. England has gained and lost goals that way.

These bad calls are occurring at the highest level, even when the ref has the aid of the linesmen.
Daisy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:07 pm

So, are they now going to use 'goal line' technology to assess the goal scoring?
26mi235

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Daisy

Postby Pego » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:32 am

Hardly any fouls or hand balls called in the penalty box. So what if there is a few penalty shots during the game?
Pego

Postby Vielleicht » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:21 am

Then penalties loses their solemnity, football becomes unwatchable :lol:
Vielleicht

Postby schigh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:22 am

I think Willie McCovey pulled his foot off the bag early at first base every time throughout his career (probably didn't want to get stepped on by the runner). Nonetheless, he's still my all-time favorite Giant.
schigh

Postby no one » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 am

Armando Galarraga's perfect game robbed
no one

Postby cullman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:58 pm

No contest...NHL Playoffs. Slashing, Boarding, Fighting, Roughing, Cross Checking Unsportsmanlike Conduct before and after the whistle. I've seen better officiating in Olympic Boxing.
cullman

Postby AFTERBURNER » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Speaking of blown calls in sports, on December 18 1976, the AFC Divisional Playoff Game between the New England Patriots and the Oakland Raiders had a couple of memorable ones.

Phil Villapiano holding on Russ Francis right in FRONT of referee Ben Dreith! And again, on the Raiders winning drive, "sugar bear" Ray Hamilton roughing the passer on Kenny Stabler on third down with the same ref involved.

Both incidents still remembered in infamy in the New England region.

Yet still, things even out in the 2001 game :wink:
AFTERBURNER

Postby KDFINE » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:07 pm

I guess that 5th down between I don't remember which two college football teams would make a top ten list.
50+ years ago I was in a softball game against another camp. We were losing going into our last at bat. I'd done nothing all day. I came up with the bases loaded but with instructions to wait the pitcher out. The count went to 3 and 2. The pitcher then threw a ball. The ump, from the other camp, insisted that it was only ball three. I hit a triple on the next pitch. I'll never know if it was a mistake or a purposeful call by that guy, but he blew it.
KDFINE

Postby BillVol » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:12 pm

cullman wrote:No contest...NHL Playoffs. Slashing, Boarding, Fighting, Roughing, Cross Checking Unsportsmanlike Conduct before and after the whistle. I've seen better officiating in Olympic Boxing.

I know nothing about hockey but was watching a playoff game and a player got whistled for checking someone from behind. I guess the rule is you can't check someone from behind, if the other guy can't see you. Is this right? Is this "boarding"? I had never seen the call made before and it surprised me since it happens all the time.
BillVol

Postby schigh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:10 am

Munich Olympics Basketball Final.
schigh

Postby KDFINE » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:27 am

Kick to the chest in the World Cup Final? Howard Webb should have red-carded de Jong. Similarly, Suarez should have been red-carded for his deliberate goal line hand ball, and not given just a yellow.
KDFINE

Postby Daisy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:17 am

KDFINE wrote:Howard Webb should have red-carded de Jong.

Good interview with Webb in the guardian.
He admits for the first time that had he had a better view of the incident where the Dutch midfielder Nigel de Jong kicked Spain's Xabi Alonso in the chest he would have reached for a red card rather than yellow. "Having seen it again from my armchair, I would red-card him," the 39-year-old Yorkshire official said.

"The trouble in the actual game was that I had a poor view of that particular incident. I was looking through the back of Alonso and though I could see the foot was high, I could not be certain of the extent of the contact. It wasn't that I didn't want to send anyone off because it was a World Cup final, though I was mindful of the fact that the game was the pinnacle of the players' careers as well as of mine. I just wasn't prepared to take a guess 25 minutes into the game."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... -cup-final
Daisy