An interesting read

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

An interesting read

Postby Rye Catcher » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Rye Catcher

Re: An interesting read

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Come on man. Do you want gh to ban you?
jazzcyclist

Postby Rye Catcher » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Come on man. Do you want gh to ban you?

These are ligit posts.
Rye Catcher

Postby Daisy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 pm

From NBC, Gladwell's 'Outliers' mentioned too. If that's not legit what is?
Daisy

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:00 pm

I don't have a problem with it, and I had just finished reading that article before you posted it, but I'm not the boss, and gh just locked a thread on this same topic yesterday.
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:I'm not the boss, and gh just locked a thread on this same topic yesterday.

True, but many of these articles are discussing issues with seniority in cockpits that compromise safety in a general sense too. The same thing could have happened to Air Florida Flight 90 that crashed.

An example of inadequate communication between the first officer and the pilot is illustrated by the two pilots of an Air Florida plane in 1982. Here is some of the chat in the cockpit prior to takeoff:

First officer: See all those icicles on the back there and everything?

First officer: Boy, this is a losing battle here on trying to de-ice those things, it gives you a false feeling of security, that’s all it does

First officer: Let’s check those wing tops again, since we’ve been sitting here a while?

Captain: I think we get to go here in a minute.

Later that plane crashed because of problems caused by ice on the wings. If the co-pilot had more strongly advocated his opinion and forced the pilot to de-ice the wings before takeoff, that incident would have been avoided. Although the co-pilot had hinted 3 times at the possible dangers of not de-icing the wings, the pilot ignored his comments as trivial and unimportant.

http://www.publicspeakingtoolkit.com/et ... ashes.html

As the takeoff roll began, the First Officer noted several times to the Captain that the instrument panel readings he was seeing did not seem to reflect reality (he was referring to the fact that the plane did not appear to have developed as much power as it needed for takeoff, despite the instruments indicating otherwise). The captain dismissed these concerns and let the takeoff proceed. Investigators later determined that there was plenty of time and space on the runway for the Captain to have aborted the takeoff, and criticized his refusal to listen to his first officer, who was correct that the instrument panel readings were wrong. The pilot was told not to delay because another aircraft was 2.5 miles out (4 km) on final approach to the same runway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Florida_Flight_90
Daisy

Postby Vielleicht » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:14 pm

If my reading comprehension didn't fool me, yet no concrete details from the recordings have been revealed, so the allusion this article made imputing the crash to Korean culture is but a guess based on some past experience and I'd say that the author got a bit ahead of herself. Plus to imply and generalize based on their cultural stereotype that nowadays Korean pilots are still "shy" or "quiet" thus unable to opine under emergency is just...too stereotypical. I'm a native non-Korean Asian and I found that the OP's stretching it to the whole Asian culture (if there's such a thing) even more useless and misleading.
Vielleicht

Postby Daisy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Vielleicht wrote:If my reading comprehension didn't fool me, yet no concrete details from the recordings have been revealed

I assume they are out there somewhere as the LA Times has this on their web site.

But pilot Lee Kang-kook didn't abort. What was even more baffling is that he and the more experienced co-pilot next to him didn't discuss their predicament. Cockpit voice recordings indicated that the two didn't communicate until less than two seconds before the plane struck a sea wall and then slammed into Runway 28L.

Lee was being supervised by the Capt. Lee Jung-min, though he too did not call for a go-around until 1.5 seconds before the crash -- far too late for the abort to occur.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... 7725.story
Daisy

Postby gh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Vielleicht wrote:.....pilots are still "shy" or "quiet" thus unable to opine under emergency is just...too stereotypical. I'm a native non-Korean Asian and I found that the OP's stretching it to the whole Asian culture (if there's such a thing) even more useless and misleading.

bump

and finis
gh