Why is my Borlees post deleted now?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Why is my Borlees post deleted now?

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:13 pm

This board is like Nazi Germany. No one can think or speak freely lest we upset the fuhrer.
fasttrack85

Re: Why is my Borlees post deleted now?

Postby gh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:15 pm

sieg heil, baby!
gh

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:16 pm

gh wrote:sieg heil, baby!

If i don't want to salute back does that mean Gas chambers for me?
fasttrack85

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Why does this board have to be so cut and dry. Only posting results from recent meets etc. Shouldnt be some room for more colorful exchange of ideas that further enrich our love of the sport. Whether or not the Borlees are or are not of African(congolese) descent should not be seen as a bad thing unless of course that is someones personal view. If we were speculating whether or not Lee Mcconell is Scottish or Dan O'Brien Irish would the thread have been shut down? Most likely not. My thread had factual info. The Borlee's father is a Congolese national and all i want to know is if he has native ancestry from the country he is actually born THUS making his children partly inherit said ancestry. There is nothing controversial about that what so ever in the least. People see and anticipate controversy where they want to. You would think freedom of speech would be alive on an internet forum of all places, This is pathetic,.
fasttrack85

Postby br » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:31 pm

It probably had more to do with the mention of European women and the "blue pill" someone included.
br

Postby kuha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:33 pm

How about a Leni Riefenstahl film festival?
kuha

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Wow, this thread proved Godwin's Law in ONE post!!! :shock:
Marlow

Postby user4 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Marlow wrote:Wow, this thread proved Godwin's Law in ONE post!!! :shock:

I learn something new from you every week. that is little law... well it is a good win!!
user4

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Marlow wrote:Wow, this thread proved Godwin's Law in ONE post!!! :shock:

The Duck Commander has a Law????
Dutra5

Postby meatball » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:09 pm

1st what is Godwin's law?, stick to track and field related subjects. cultural and ethnicity subjects,things seem to get twisted and political on the board in ahurry and really don't have aplace here.
meatball

Postby Fortis4Eva » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:07 am

meatball wrote:1st what is Godwin's law?, stick to track and field related subjects. cultural and ethnicity subjects,things seem to get twisted and political on the board in ahurry and really don't have aplace here.

"Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is an assertion made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Fortis4Eva

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:25 am

Well I didn't know about Godwin's law...... but undemocratic, totalitarian, everything i say goes type behavior will always bring you back to Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Count Dracula etc.
fasttrack85

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 am

For the record GH what was wrong with that thread? I ask only because I dont want anymore of my threads to be shut down so if i can circumnavigate an infraction I will gladly try.
fasttrack85

Postby user4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 am

fasttrack85 wrote:Well I didn't know about Godwin's law...... but undemocratic, totalitarian, everything i say goes type behavior will always bring you back to Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Count Dracula etc.

A terrible slander against a great hero, Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, the Impaler.
user4

Postby batonless relay » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 am

Annie Savoy: The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness.
batonless relay

Postby CookyMonzta » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 am

gh wrote:sieg heil, baby!

'Tain't funny, McGee! :!:
CookyMonzta

Postby gh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:19 am

fasttrack85 wrote:For the record GH what was wrong with that thread? I ask only because I dont want anymore of my threads to be shut down so if i can circumnavigate an infraction I will gladly try.

It ultimately got axed because it wander off into other territory ("blue pill") but the thread was doomed from the get-go as is any thread whose premise is half-baked racial theories.

Have you ever met a Borlée in person and spoken to them? There is nothing remotely "exotic" about them, and wild-ass guessing (as in the Juantorena thread as well) is a slippery slope we're just not going to venture down.

The "motto" of his forum, recall, is Facts Not Fiction.
gh

Postby athlete101 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 am

gh wrote:
fasttrack85 wrote:For the record GH what was wrong with that thread? I ask only because I dont want anymore of my threads to be shut down so if i can circumnavigate an infraction I will gladly try.

It ultimately got axed because it wander off into other territory ("blue pill") but the thread was doomed from the get-go as is any thread whose premise is half-baked racial theories.

Have you ever met a Borlée in person and spoken to them? There is nothing remotely "exotic" about them, and wild-ass guessing (as in the Juantorena thread as well) is a slippery slope we're just not going to venture down.

The "motto" of his forum, recall, is Facts Not Fiction.

Its impossible to run a forum and expect posters not to stray into opinion, theories and make often wild speculations. It would be incredibly naive to think otherwise. There is of course a fine line and its good you understand that however at times I think your too far to the *delete thread* *ban user* side.
athlete101

Postby kuha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:24 am

gh wrote:any thread whose premise is half-baked racial theories.

And that is pretty much any and every thread in which "race" is the subject. The folks here who actually CAN comment intelligently on genetics rarely bother to do so, knowing full well how complex the whole subject is. That leaves the chattering to the simplistic and clueless.
kuha

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:27 am

kuha wrote:The folks here who actually CAN comment intelligently on genetics rarely bother to do so, knowing full well how complex the whole subject is.

At least Daisy puts up with us despite lots of :roll: from him. :D
Marlow

Postby run4urlyfe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 am

Interesting!!! The Borlees ethnicity has been questioned on blogs/forums that deal with race/ethnic/genetic studies etc. I am actually aware of quite a few Belgians of ethnic Congolese descent who are completely Caucasian in appearance so this would not be anything out of the ordinary if they were and it wouldn't/shouldn't redefine who they are as people even though in some peoples eyes it would.
run4urlyfe

Postby marknhj » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

Marlow wrote:
kuha wrote:The folks here who actually CAN comment intelligently on genetics rarely bother to do so, knowing full well how complex the whole subject is.

So you're admitting that your numerous posts on race, on every occasion possible, for almost a decade, are "...simplistic and clueless"? if so, there's hope for you yet!
marknhj

Postby gh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:24 am

run4urlyfe wrote:Interesting!!! The Borlees ethnicity has been questioned on blogs/forums that deal with race/ethnic/genetic studies etc. I am actually aware of quite a few Belgians of ethnic Congolese descent who are completely Caucasian in appearance so this would not be anything out of the ordinary if they were and it wouldn't/shouldn't redefine who they are as people even though in some peoples eyes it would.

99% of the discussion on blogs/forums is utter bullshit, so citing that is hardly a worthy credential. Like Alice's Restaurant, you can find anything you want on the the internet.

But not here, where Facts, Not Fiction remains the order of the day.
gh

Postby aaronk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 am

Marlow wrote:

Daisy is a "HIM"?????? :shock:
aaronk

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am

run4urlyfe wrote:I am actually aware of quite a few Belgians of ethnic Congolese descent who are completely Caucasian in appearance

So why must we continue to get 'pale sprinter' threads, or for that matter, ANY distinction trying to be made about 'white' this or 'black' that?!

marknhj wrote:So you're admitting that your numerous posts on race, on every occasion possible, for almost a decade, are "...simplistic and clueless"? if so, there's hope for you yet!

Aw, I love you too! :D
[I am indeed simplistic and clueless about so many things in life that it should boggle even YOUR mind!]
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:55 pm

What I've never understood on these boards is why race is ever brought up to begin with? I could understand it back when things were beginning to change (60's) but not anymore.

The....facts...are the fastest sprinters are going to be of African origins. With the ...once in awhile....rarity sprinkled in.

There will always be someone uptight over the topic, someone dying to play the racist card, it simply isn't worth the effort. We all see the obvious.
Dixon

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:23 pm

aaronk wrote:Daisy is a "HIM"?????? :shock:

He is!!!!! 8-)
Daisy

Postby kuha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Daisy wrote:
aaronk wrote:Daisy is a "HIM"?????? :shock:

He is!!!!! 8-)

Please tell me we do NOT require any chromosome, testosterone, or dropping-the-pants tests.
kuha

Postby Pego » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Dixon wrote:We all see the obvious.

Which is? Careful with the answer and it is not because some people "might be sensitive to the subject."
Pego

Postby Dixon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Pego wrote:

Which is? Careful with the answer and it is not because some people "might be sensitive to the subject."

I don't have to be careful at all, remember we deal with the facts here.

When it come to world class sprinting we see Afro Americans, Afro Canadians, Afro Europeans and those from the Caribbean dominate. They will win at least 80% of the sprint nedals in any world class/international meet. That is the obvious I was talking about, those are the ,,.....facts.
Dixon

Postby kuha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Dixon wrote:
Pego wrote:

When it come to world class sprinting we see Afro Americans, Afro Canadians, Afro Europeans and those from the Caribbean dominate. They will win at least 80% of the sprint nedals in any world class/international meet. That is the obvious I was talking about, those are the ,,.....facts.

:roll:

"Afro" just doesn't tell us much worth knowing. It is athletes with West African ancestry that dominate global sprinting. That statement begins to mean "something" but it still doesn't mean all that much. And we've known that for decades--in fact, many decades. No one here has added anything new to our knowledge on this subject.

I repeat: :roll:
kuha

Postby Dixon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:34 pm

kuha wrote:
Dixon wrote:
Pego wrote:

:roll:

"Afro" just doesn't tell us much worth knowing. It is athletes with West African ancestry that dominate global sprinting. That statement begins to mean "something" but it still doesn't mean all that much. And we've known that for decades--in fact, many decades. No one here has added anything new to our knowledge on this subject.

I repeat: :roll:

Who said anything about holding a class on the topic? I was asked about what.."obvious"..meant. My answer was when it comes to world class sprinting we see African roots sprinters dominating most the time.

Are you wanting to actually delve into this deeper? We can go there. Wanna talk about the studies that were done?
Dixon

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:19 am

Dixon wrote:I was asked about what.."obvious"..meant. My answer was when it comes to world class sprinting we see African roots sprinters dominating most the time.

Yes, this is what I expected to hear to be "obvious." So, a few points why "obvious" is about as superficial and misleading as the time-honored, "obvious fact" that the Sun rises in the East, revolves around the Earth and then sets in the West.

1. All of us have African roots. The only difference is when did our lineage diverse. 100,000 years ago, 10,000 years ago or 400 years ago.

2. Sprinting ability appears to be a trait of some West Africans, not any Africans.

3. Some East Africans, especially from the Riff Valley and the Horn of Africa regions seem to have preponderance toward long distance running, even in such genetically different groups of population as Kenyans and Ethiopians, for example.

4. No gene for the above traits has as yet been established. To suggest that their "blackness" is the common genetic factor is an obvious nonsense.
Pego

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:54 am

Dixon, all of a sudden I sense a strange presence in the Force, an old friend from the past, a reincarnation. Could it be :wink: ?
Pego

Postby no one » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:16 am

"all of a sudden"? ... been about 3 weeks
no one

Postby Pego » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 am

no one wrote:"all of a sudden"? ... been about 3 weeks

Well, I am slow :D .
Pego

Postby Daisy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 am

Time for a Houston McTear thread ;)
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:23 am

Daisy wrote:Time for a Houston McTear thread ;)

No, I want more hypothetical 4x100 relay threads!
Marlow

Postby no one » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:08 am

speaking of Borlee family track accomplishments ... and speaking of being slow, I just discovered that they have a 44.88, 45.11, 45.4, 46.82 400s in the fam, plus a female ( @ 22.98/11.38). Pretty impressive ... 45.4 was the father who now coaches the twins
no one

Postby Master Po » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:13 am

^ I too have found this Borlee thread to be very educational, just not in the way the thread or its predecessor seems to have started. Not having paid as much attention to the Borlee brothers as perhaps I should have, I also did not realize the father was an accomplished athlete, and that the twin brothers have a sister who is herself an accomplished sprinter. Fast family. :)
Master Po

Next