Douglas Engelbart RIP

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Douglas Engelbart RIP

Postby jeremyp » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 am

Every one of us has and is using his invention, but he gave us much more. A true pioneer.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/techn ... l?hpw&_r=0
jeremyp

Re: Douglas Engelbart RIP

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:29 pm

OMG, I nearly missed this one as I don't frequent this side of the Forum. I was privileged to be interviewed by DE at SRI back in 1967, when I'd just returned from Peru (Puno on Lake Titicaca) where I'd followed on my Peace Corps/Colombia work in Rural Community Development.
Since I had an Engineering Degree (USC/Aero, later Engr-econ Systems MS from Stanford), it was one of the SRI units they had me fishing around for a home; I ended up working in Transportation (Middle Africa) and Water (Calif. Water Plan-related studies for SRI clients), but could sense the aura around Doug and his colleagues, who already had futuristic ideas in those pre-PC days (We still used IBM PunchCards for Input, then went out for Coffee to await Output.)
Jackaloupe