George Zimmerman Trial

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: George Zimmerman Trial

Postby dustoff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:00 pm

TrakFan wrote:
dustoff wrote:He was dressed in a suspicious manner, which made Zimmerman believe...

Now wearing a hoodie is considered suspicious? God forbid some kid decides to cover his head at night. :roll:

Look, wearing a black hoodie with the hood up in Florida is suspicious, regardless of your skin color. I'm not saying that means he needs to be arrested or anything, I am simply saying it makes you appear suspicious. I would certainly be sure to not be on the same side of the street at night as a person who looks like that.

I am explaining why he was followed. He appeared suspicious because he fit the description of people involved in a number of robberies in the neighborhood. It is perfectly reasonable that somebody on a neighborhood watch may believe he was one of the people involved.

Even Trayvon's mother has said that he was likely targeted because of the way he was presenting himself, not because he was black.
dustoff

Postby dustoff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:04 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Coming from an intolerant, right-wing Bible-thumper like yourself, your criticism mean absolutely nothing to me. Thank God, folks like you are going the way of the dinosaur.

That's just uncalled for and your attitude is appalling.

I am not ethnically similar to either man and my fiance is black and my future child will be mixed race, including black.

Having a different opinion than you or the mainstream media doesn't mean that somebody is racist. It seems like you don't know a thing about the case.

I made this thread because MY VIEWS about the case were challenged and changed. I thought this was a clear cut case and had forgotten about it until recently. Now that I have followed the trial, watched much of the testimony, and read more of the facts involved, my previous view has been shattered and my opinion of the situation has changed dramatically. I was curious to see if this was true for anybody else and why.
dustoff

Postby dustoff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:07 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:I have a feeling that if the situation was reversed - a White kid was shot by a Black neighborhood vigilante who saw him innocently walking through a Black neighborhood - I seriously doubt that a lot of you folks would be singing the same tune.

What's with your racism? You realize Zimmerman is hispanic, right? As I said in another post, I am unrelated to either race, except for my fiance being black.

It is quite obvious you haven't followed the case at all. Your opinions lie in half-truths and omit numerous other facts. You believe that Trayvon was some little kid when he was bigger than Zimmerman! You don't have a clue about what you are talking about and sound like a child.
dustoff

Postby TrakFan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 pm

dustoff wrote:Look, wearing a black hoodie with the hood up in Florida is suspicious, regardless of your skin color. I'm not saying that means he needs to be arrested or anything, I am simply saying it makes you appear suspicious.

Interesting -- Your comments are very revealing.

BTW, that must be a "cultural thing" where you're from?? I have family throughout Florida, and none of them are suspicious of a kid wearing a hood.
TrakFan

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:18 pm

I live in Florida and it isn't unusual at all to see teenagers walking around with hoodies.

Zimmerman should get a manslaughter verdict against him.
Dutra5

Postby dustoff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:22 pm

TrakFan wrote:Interesting -- Your comments are very revealing.

BTW, that must be a "cultural thing" where you're from?? I have family throughout Florida, and none of them are suspicious of a kid wearing a hood.

What is revealing?

Look, I'm not saying anything about whether or not hoodies are legal. I am explaining to you why GZ was suspicious. TM was 5'11" walking through a neighborhood that just had a string of robberies with his hood up at night and he fit the description of some involved. Would I have followed him? Probably not, but I don't live there and wasn't in the position.

You are focusing on the wrong things. None of this matters. Following him through public ways is entirely legal and in no way stalking. There is nothing illegal about it, regardless of whatever reason he may have been followed. Even Martin's mother has said that she believes he was followed because of how he was presenting himself, not because of his race. I don't know how much clearer it could be.
dustoff

Postby 18.99s » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 pm

dustoff wrote:And 3-5 minutes after the phone call. There was more than enough time for TM to get home if he was in fact going there.

That doesn't give Zimmerman the right to pursue and confront and shoot him. TM also would have been justifiably afraid of letting GZ see where he was staying, especially considering that his little brother was in there.

Likewise, if GZ was actively pursuing him towards his home, he would have covered more ground if that's where TM was in fact going. 150ft is extremely close by, especially in the given timeframe. If TM was heading home, he would have arrived and there would be no altercation. It is a myth that GZ continued to pursue him.

GZ pursued long enough to be over 50 yards from his car, around the corner behind a row of townhomes. TM didn't haul him out of his car and drag him over there.
18.99s

Postby dustoff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Dutra5 wrote:I live in Florida and it isn't unusual at all to see teenagers walking around with hoodies.

Based on what? What definition of manslaughter are you looking at?

GZ wasn't committing any crime when he followed TM.

TM, by all accounts, initiated a violent confrontation and was on top of the man beating him. Had GZ died, that would be an example of manslaughter. If GZ threw the first punch or had his gun drawn to begin with, that would probably fit a definition of manslaughter. Neither of those appear to have happened though, based on the evidence presented.

I am not sure of any definition of manslaughter that would fit the actions of GZ that night.
dustoff

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 pm

dustoff wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:I live in Florida and it isn't unusual at all to see teenagers walking around with hoodies.

Based on what? What definition of manslaughter are you looking at?

He got into a fight which resulted in him shooting a guy to death.

Frankly, if you're going to follow me as Zimmerman was following Martin, there will be a confrontation of some sort.
Dutra5

Postby 18.99s » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:39 pm

dustoff wrote:GZ wasn't committing any crime when he followed TM.

But he committed a crime by shooting TM. It's not self defense when you kill somebody who is fighting you to protect him/herself from the imminent threat you created. Following somebody like what GZ did is very threatening. If somebody followed you like that, you would feel threatened.

Had GZ died, that would be an example of manslaughter.

If GZ died, that would be TM acting in self-defense.
18.99s

Postby dustoff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 pm

18.99s wrote:That doesn't give Zimmerman the right to pursue and confront and shoot him. TM also would have been justifiably afraid of letting GZ see where he was staying, especially considering that his little brother was in there.
Well, he didn't pursue then shoot him. He pursued, stopped, was attacked, and after being beaten, shot him. It is a completely different series of events.

If TM was afraid for his life, why did he attack GZ? After hitting him once, why did he mount him and beat him further? That is assault no matter how you slice it and shooting him is a justified response.

GZ pursued long enough to be over 50 yards from his car, around the corner behind a row of townhomes. TM didn't haul him out of his car and drag him over there.

50 yards is an extremely short distance. It doesn't matter if GZ followed him right up to his home. None of that matters as none of it justifies, legally, a physical assault.
dustoff

Postby dustoff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:49 pm

18.99s wrote:But he committed a crime by shooting TM. It's not self defense when you kill somebody who is fighting you to protect him/herself from the imminent threat you created. Following somebody like what GZ did is very threatening. If somebody followed you like that, you would feel threatened.

If GZ died, that would be TM acting in self-defense.

Wow, are you that dense? At no point was TM assaulted before he attacked GZ. In fact, he had the opportunity to go to his home and instead chose to approach and attack GZ. There is no evidence o imminent threat and, in fact, evidence to the contrary, based on the fact that he chose to approach GZ.

There is no evidence GZ threatened TM's life. TM wasn't defending himself from anything. You don't have the legal right to assault somebody because they are following you. You realize that, right? You also realize that following somebody is not illegal?
dustoff

Postby 18.99s » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:56 pm

dustoff wrote:Wow, are you that dense? At no point was TM assaulted before he attacked GZ. In fact, he had the opportunity to go to his home and instead chose to approach and attack GZ.

There is no evidence that TM approached GZ, other than GZ's own claims.

There is no evidence GZ threatened TM's life.

He threatened TM's life by getting out of his car to follow him and continuing to follow until they had a close confrontation. Every year thousands of teens go missing or get killed by somebody who pursued them just like GZ pursued TM.
18.99s

Postby dustoff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:03 pm

18.99s wrote:There is no evidence that TM approached GZ, other than GZ's own claims.
He threatened TM's life by getting out of his car to follow him and continuing to follow until they had a close confrontation. Every year thousands of teens go missing or get killed by somebody who pursued them just like GZ pursued TM.

None of that is illegal. I don't understand why this is hard for you to grasp. Pursuing somebody is neither a crime nor justification to hit somebody.

Further, the evidence indicates TM changed his direction and headed for GZ. Using the evidence available, the most reasonable conclusion was that he approached GZ.
dustoff

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:10 pm

dustoff wrote:
And for all the people that post pictures of little 12y/o Trayvon, maybe they forgot he was much older and quite the thug (or wannabe thug, at least): http://nyencore.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 052313.jpg

You seem to be the only one here who has made up their mind without seeing all the evidence and your rather offensive statement above, about a dead child, shows EXACTLY why there is a racial element to this trial and why it is absolutely right that people are calling it out.

And he wasn't a 'suspected criminal' to anyone other than GZ, he was a kid walking home.
mump boy

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:11 pm

dustoff wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:I have a feeling that if the situation was reversed - a White kid was shot by a Black neighborhood vigilante who saw him innocently walking through a Black neighborhood - I seriously doubt that a lot of you folks would be singing the same tune.

What's with your racism? You realize Zimmerman is hispanic, right? As I said in another post, I am unrelated to either race, except for my fiance being black.

What does Zimmerman's race/ethnicity have to do with anything. Are you implying that Hispanics are incapable of racism?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:14 pm

dustoff wrote:Look, wearing a black hoodie with the hood up in Florida is suspicious, regardless of your skin color.

Even when when it's raining? Come on man! :roll:
jazzcyclist

Postby 18.99s » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:14 pm

dustoff wrote:None of that is illegal. I don't understand why this is hard for you to grasp. Pursuing somebody is neither a crime nor justification to hit somebody.

Pursuing somebody like GZ did is very threatening, and creates a justification for the pursued individual to defend themselves against that threat.

Further, the evidence indicates TM changed his direction and headed for GZ.

There is not a shred of evidence supporting that, other than GZ's own words.
18.99s

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:15 pm

dustoff wrote: He was dressed in a suspicious manner

I'm trying to think of a polite way of addressing this statement but i can't.

I think i'll leave it there rather than get banned
mump boy

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:16 pm

mump boy wrote:You seem to be the only one here who has made up their mind without seeing all the evidence

I wouldn't go that far. Odel seems to be as fucked up in the head as him.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:18 pm

dustoff wrote: He was dressed in a suspicious manner

How should one dress at night when it's raining?
jazzcyclist

Postby odelltrclan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:35 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
mump boy wrote:You seem to be the only one here who has made up their mind without seeing all the evidence

I wouldn't go that far. Odel seems to be as fucked up in the head as him.

How many times are they going to give you a pass before your banned!
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:26 pm

please don't try to play cop. There are no bannable posts here.

But we're veering off enough into unconfortable territory that the discussion is over.
gh

Previous