WWZ

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

WWZ

Postby jhc68 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:43 am

I liked the book, which was as much social commentary as zombie story...

The movie?
Frenetic digital action distracts from the ludicrous story line (Brad Pitt surviving a dozen cliff-hanger escapes while traipsing all over the world to single-handedly figure out how to rescue mankind) with but it all gets to be so wearying that by the last few minutes my wife and I couldn't stop laughing out loud at the teeth-clattering Z... the same reaction we had to another ponderously over-serious Pitt movie years ago (Legends of the Fall... ptoeey!)
jhc68

Re: WWZ

Postby Marlow » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:05 am

jhc68 wrote:I liked the book, which was as much social commentary as zombie story...

The movie?
Frenetic digital action distracts from the ludicrous story line (Brad Pitt surviving a dozen cliff-hanger escapes while traipsing all over the world to single-handedly figure out how to rescue mankind) with but it all gets to be so wearying that by the last few minutes my wife and I couldn't stop laughing out loud at the teeth-clattering Z... the same reaction we had to another ponderously over-serious Pitt movie years ago (Legends of the Fall... ptoeey!)

Gonna see it soonest (wife won't go!), but the trailer with its waterfalls of zombies does look a little over-the-top (which, now that I type that out, looks pretty stupid - we're talking about a ZOMBIE movie!).
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:12 am

Marlow wrote:
jhc68 wrote:I liked the book, which was as much social commentary as zombie story...

The movie?

Gonna see it soonest (wife won't go!), but the trailer with its waterfalls of zombies does look a little over-the-top (which, now that I type that out, looks pretty stupid - we're talking about a ZOMBIE movie!).

Yes but in the age of "The Walking Dead" we must discern between good and bad Zombie productions.
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:16 pm

OK, saw it today. I liked that the gore-factor was low and the plot was actually suspenseful beyond 'will the zombies catch the good guys?' Brad Pitt was a good choice and eschewed his pretty-boy image. The CGI was kinda second-rate, but not integral to the 'believability' (sic). Yes, there were a few logic lapses, but as I said before, it's a ZOMBIE movie! And unlike The Walking Dead, these zombies can flat-out sprint! :shock:
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:48 am

Marlow wrote:And unlike The Walking Dead, these zombies can flat-out sprint! :shock:
Yeah that series would be over if they could. I'm taking wife today. We've spent a week moving (and she's spent months packing) that we need a shot of suspending disbelief.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 am

I give it a C+ for effort but the holes are huge and the Z's are way too amped up. Did anybody do a drug test? Pitt takes on a role that Harrison Ford usually did: put upon "everyman" does good.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:10 pm

jhc68 wrote: by the last few minutes my wife and I couldn't stop laughing out loud at the teeth-clattering Z... the same reaction we had to another ponderously over-serious Pitt movie years ago (Legends of the Fall... ptoeey!)

Perhaps because the story was written by Mel Brooks son?
jeremyp

Postby dustoff » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 am

I thought it was one of the better zombie movies. It is entertaining, but lots of holes. I liked it up until the extremely abrupt ending.
dustoff

Postby batonless relay » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:14 am

jeremyp wrote:
jhc68 wrote: by the last few minutes my wife and I couldn't stop laughing out loud at the teeth-clattering Z... the same reaction we had to another ponderously over-serious Pitt movie years ago (Legends of the Fall... ptoeey!)

I read the wiki on it after watching the movie and it becomes apparent why the movie was made the way that it was and why it's full of holes. The concept is very political and Brooks is deserving of the praise he got for writing it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z
batonless relay

Postby jeremyp » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:23 pm

batonless relay wrote:
jeremyp wrote:

I read the wiki on it after watching the movie and it becomes apparent why the movie was made the way that it was and why it's full of holes. The concept is very political and Brooks is deserving of the praise he got for writing it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z

Too bad the concept couldn't translate to the screen. Far better for a TV series, except that "The Walking Dead" has a stranglehold on the current genre. Also Brooks broke the cardinal rule of Zombies: they are slow!
jeremyp

Postby JRM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:28 pm

jeremyp wrote:Also Brooks broke the cardinal rule of Zombies: they are slow!

I think "Dawn of the Dead" broke that first. Go to about 1:45 in this trailer, if you haven't seen the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZGLRIOQHOY
JRM

Postby Marlow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:49 am

JRM wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Also Brooks broke the cardinal rule of Zombies: they are slow!

I think "Dawn of the Dead" broke that first. Go to about 1:45 in this trailer, if you haven't seen the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZGLRIOQHOY

Slow zombies can only get you in multitudes. It only takes one fast zombie to get you! :shock:
Marlow