Anyone watching the Confederations cup in Brazil ?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Anyone watching the Confederations cup in Brazil ?

Postby jamal00005 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Just wondered if people were actually interested in this tournament which i think Spain will unfortunately win
jamal00005

Re: Anyone watching the Confederations cup in Brazil ?

Postby Vielleicht » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:09 am

Either Spain or Brazil I think
Vielleicht

Postby uakari » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:27 pm

not yet but been watching the street protests...
uakari

Postby jhc68 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

It'll be great if it comes down to a Brazil / Spain final.
Very interesting clash of styles in that match up.
Also very interesting to see how or if the street protests affect the tourney... Brazil is a fascinating place with almost unlimited potential and possibly fatal flaws.
jhc68

Postby uakari » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 am

well, that was quite a match... japan deserved to win, dominating play and shooting into the post a few times. i guess it was a day for the offense, not defense though... good job by the samurai even if they are eliminated.

since i don't care for spain or italy style of play and germany is not here, my bet is on brazil then.
uakari

Postby Vielleicht » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:36 am

uakari wrote:well, that was quite a match... japan deserved to win, dominating play and shooting into the post a few times. i guess it was a day for the offense, not defense though... good job by the samurai even if they are eliminated.

They are already eliminated, but that's true, what a game of football it is. It's really thrilling to see fellow Asians put on a valiant and dominant performance against one of the best national sides in the world. Too bad they still lack a bit of quality in the defense - more or less the Barça situation when a good team can press with well-organized offense but have trouble dealing with sharp counter-attacks.
Vielleicht

Postby uakari » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:43 pm

ooooooh... lugano accuses neymar of diving ahead of uruguay x brazil semi.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/06/ ... uguay.html
uakari

Postby jamal00005 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Obviously Brazil are through to the final now and we await the other semi finalist. I think the tournament on a whole was great. A decent showing from most teams. Neymar needs to stop diving though.
jamal00005

Postby Mocra » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 am

I could be wrong but ever since Spain became this almost unstoppable force I don't think they ever played against Brazil. I really hope Spain wins tonight. Brazil vs Spain is a matchup I really want to see.
Mocra

Postby Vielleicht » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Mocra wrote:I could be wrong but ever since Spain became this almost unstoppable force I don't think they ever played against Brazil. I really hope Spain wins tonight. Brazil vs Spain is a matchup I really want to see.

It seems that they haven't played each other in this century:
http://www.fussballdaten.de/vereine/spanien/brasilien/
Vielleicht

Postby KDFINE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:55 pm

The final will be provide insight into next year's World Cup. No European team has ever won a Western Hemisphere World Cup. This year's Champions League "failure" by Barca and Real, both of whom are heavily staffed by the Spanish National side, might mean that Spain's ascendency is waning, unless they can be rejuvenated by some fresh blood (e.g. Juan Mata). It's been a joy to watch them play when they are on. I hope it lasts. Getting back to the here and now, it should be a great final. Then again I thought the Spain - Netherlands World Cup Final of 2010 would be a classic but the latter wouldn't let it happen. However, since the Confederations Cup is nowhere near as important as the World Cup I'm optimistic that neither side will be overly cautious and will put on an enjoyable match.
KDFINE

Postby jamal00005 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Well Italy have won the third place earlier this afternoon and now its time for the big boys to strut their stuff

GEAUX CHELSEA BOYS GEAUX!!!!
jamal00005

Postby Marlow » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:37 pm

I had my Monopoly Money on Spain, but Brazil dominated, which is merely prelude to next year's WCup in Rio. No one else has a chance now.
Marlow

Postby Vielleicht » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Marlow wrote:I had my Monopoly Money on Spain, but Brazil dominated, which is merely prelude to next year's WCup in Rio. No one else has a chance now.

The Confederation Cup one year before World Cup is a famous jinx - no team has won the latter after winning the former in consecutive years.
Vielleicht

Postby Marlow » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Vielleicht wrote:no team has won the latter after winning the former in consecutive years.

With a home Cup? That's worth a couple wins right there.
Marlow

Postby jamal00005 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:31 pm

What this game shows more that anything imo is that Del Bosque should have played two defensive midfielders. I think that Martinez would have helped contain that Brazilliant attack. Spain has some shaken up to do...but i would expect them to shake it up and be ready next year.
jamal00005

Postby Mocra » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:44 am

Brazil is definitely the team to beat now. They will be even better next year and the WC will be in Brazil. It's going to be very difficult to beat Brazil next year.

Spain been on top of the world for six years now. Nothing last forever and no I don't think Spain will win the WC in Brazil. Brazil vs Argentina in the final would be epic. It would be the most intriguing final ever.
Mocra

Postby az2004 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:41 am

brasil is way too athletic for spain, and have enough skill too

for spain, Italy shoewed how to outplay them

for 2014, its brasil, Germany in the final for me

neymar is pele, what a talent

brasil has more elite level talent than anyone

if neymar stays healthy, they win over germany
az2004

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:49 am

az2004 wrote:brasil is way too athletic for spain, and have enough skill too

Isn't that like saying that Serena has some power in her game?
Brazil's technical skills are OUTRAGEOUS. I watch several of them take down balls drilled from 40m as though they were picking grapes off the vine. Watch the Americans play and hardly any of them have a great first touch.
Marlow

Postby mcgato » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 pm

My impression of the final is that Brazil is not as good as they looked, and Spain is better than they looked. Brazil was sky high with a huge crowd supporting them, and they were flying all over the field (and getting away with fouling Spain repeatedly). Brazil's first goal was very soft, and Spain should have had two goals. One was cleared off of the line on a great play, and they missed a penalty shot.

I'm not sure that Brazil can repeat the emotion of the final at will, and if the game is called tighter than the final then they may not be as successful. Spain will regroup and be a very good team again, but I think that they are looking at their best years in the rear view mirror. A good run for Spain though.
mcgato

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:16 pm

mcgato wrote:I'm not sure that Brazil can repeat the emotion of the final at will, and if the game is called tighter than the final then they may not be as successful.

Of course they WILL keep at emotion with home games every game. And yes, the refs will always be intimidated in a Brazil stadium. There was a great SI article last year about why the Home Game Advantage is such a real thing. It's
1. you are trying harder in front of your fans
2. the other team is not as pumped up for an away match
3. the fans cheer for you louder, increasing the adrenaline output
4. the refs (subconsciously!) let the home team get away with the smaller fouls, but call it on the opponents, because of the crowd reactions.

Brazil will be sky-high for every game and the same thing will happen as happened in the CC last week.
Marlow

Postby az2004 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:56 am

my point was in 2009 when usa beat spain 2-0 in confed cup semis it was largely because usa was more athletic

spain has been highly skilled, and brasil hhas been too, but brasil is athletic too and the overall blend is tough to be

Italy tactically showed how to beat spain in the semis

in 2014, Germany, spain, Italy, brasil, argentina, Italy, Holland, Belgium are all good enough to be semi finalists

and there are probably a handful of other nations who can play well enough to be in the equation

do you really what to play Uruguay with the offensive talent they can out out there
az2004

Postby KDFINE » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:19 am

Just as the German teams dominated the Spanish teams in the Champions' League semi-finals by very aggressively closing down the midfield, the Brazilian's did the same to the Spanish in the Confederations Cup. He who dominates the midfield, well you know, its the same as Mackinder's Heartland Theory. Spain can play better but next year, at home, how could anyone bet against Brazil?
KDFINE

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 am

KDFINE wrote:... but next year, at home, how could anyone bet against Brazil?

Give me high enough odds...
26mi235

Postby az2004 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 am

yes, I think Germany has more than enough talent to win in 2014

my surprise team is Belgium, who I would bet on given odds

spain u-20 almost got beat by mexico earlier today but 2 late goals saved them

despite being 3rd in the hex mow, mexico will be a tought out too

Colombia with falcao too will be tough

usa needs a favorable group to get to the round of 16, but that;s why sunil gulati is paying klinnsmam the big bucks

oddly bob Bradley is doing well with egypt
az2004

Postby uakari » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 pm

az2004 wrote:yes, I think Germany has more than enough talent to win in 2014

well, they are a scoring machine. it's the defense that needs some work... (or at least that was the case in 2010).
uakari

Postby Mocra » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm pretty sure the Latin american countries will do well in the WC. Besides Brazil and Argentina Look for Uruguay and Colombia to at least reach the quarterfinal.
Mocra

Postby az2004 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:30 am

Mocra wrote:I'm pretty sure the Latin american countries will do well in the WC. Besides Brazil and Argentina Look for Uruguay and Colombia to at least reach the quarterfinal.

I agree argentina will have a great player at every position

Uruguay still has work to do, it's no cakewalk having to go theu the play off system

margin for error is small think they get Jordan Uzbekistan winner, where i'd pick Uzbekistan, and just the travel is tough

there's a reason why Uruguay is 5th in south America

if I wqas the usa, i'd hope to get into their group

say usa was a group with Uruguay Croatia and Asian/afriacan nation usa would would have a cgance to advance

agree Germany defending is their problem, but their depth of attack is good enough to given them a chance
az2004

Postby uakari » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:42 pm

last time germany crushed argentina -- argentina!!!! and england... but just couldn't defend against spain (or score).
uakari

Postby jamal00005 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:26 pm

I think the 4 I'm going with are Germany ,Italy Spain and Brazil .
Germany because of the wealth of talent coming form Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund respectively . The thing is, Leow only has to get the line up right and have the players highly motivated to get the best out of them.

Italy will always do well as seen at this years Confederations cup. I think they have a lot of talent coming through like Germany and Spain. Prandelli seems to have them doing a decent job here of late. Up their game and with Balotelli playing at his best and they will do as good as anybody come next year.

Well Spain are Spain...loads a talent at their disposal...I think they need to eliminate Pique as well as Arbeloa from that back 4. They need a center forward who can certainly put the ball at the back of the net. They also need to monitor Xavi as he cant play all of those games for Barcelona and then expect to play he that heat in Brazil come next summer. I still think they are favorites and it is their tournament to lose. Bring in some fresh players improve the defense and they are good to go.

Brazil is Brazil ....looked good at the confederations cup and seem to be playing with confidence. They have to fans behind them as it is in their country and they are accustom to the heat so that is a big plus
jamal00005

Postby az2004 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:20 am

brasil has so much talent, thry can plug in a ton, dante could easily be a starter in central defense

the hot striker can always start in place of fred

my semis are Germany, spain, argentina and brasil

scolari the brasil coach won in 2002, and he seems to be usig the same model
az2004

Postby BillVol » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:54 am

jamal00005 wrote:What this game shows more that anything imo is that Del Bosque should have played two defensive midfielders.

I don't buy that. Whatever formation a coach uses, talent is going to win out. More likely, games at this level will wind up scoreless and go to PKs. I love football. But I hate it. It is mind boggling that people get so worked up over a sport where there is no scoring.

And yes, the diving is pathetic. It is so easy to spot that refs need to be more aggressive in handing out yellows to these people. And if someone is writhing on the ground in "pain" after being bumped into...PLAY ON!
BillVol

Postby AFTERBURNER » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:29 am

Whatever happened to Adriano and Ronaldinho?
AFTERBURNER

Postby Pego » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:56 am

BillVol wrote: And if someone is writhing on the ground in "pain" after being bumped into...

Prior to the 20th century, resurrection was a rare, poorly documented event. Then came soccer.
Pego

Postby jamal00005 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:07 pm

AFTERBURNER wrote:Whatever happened to Adriano and Ronaldinho?

Well Ronaldinho had his chance and delivered so i guess its time for the new crop to come through :D . It seems Adriano has express interest in playing for the Qatar team since he cant cop a squat on the Brazilian team
jamal00005

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am

South Africa 2010. Only one team left undefeated.
Tuariki